New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Golf T mod... Nah... Screw it! (literally)

So I'm still looking for the buzz in my dash but thought I hear a lot about the exhaust tone with the actuator unplugged so why not give it a try. Popped off the tube and gurgle gurgle, love it, and no so much to annoy but just that much louder to make me smile

So I think ok, no golf T's in the toolbox, but have some torx screws. Long enough not to be dragged back up the pipe, with a head smooth and large enough to wedge in the pipe just like a golf T. Popped in the screw, pushed it in about half an inch night an tight, re-attach, lovely sound, job done.

Have a long drive tomorrow to test it out nicely, so if it drones, out will come the screw no harm done.

Little things eh?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 318d Exclusive

Garage List
I've read a few things about this flap, but I'm not sure how its meant to work.

On mine I assume its closed when I start the car, as I can see only smoke coming out of the left tip.

After about 20 seconds the right tip clunks and smoke comes out of the right one too.

From sitting in traffic on a cold morning I can see smoke still coming from the right one, all the time.

It never re-closes again?

Does mine work differently?

David
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #3
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

If you're seeing smoke get it to the dealer! Lol but if you're seeing steam, you'll get it from both, more or less. Essentially the silencer with the flap has a bypass to allow exhaust through. The silencer flap closes dependent on the vacuum state of the engine. Idea being it opens under load, closes at other times.

From what I've seen in the last few days, it makes a difference only at very low revs or under load on the motorway. Bit more boomy but not badly so. At idle tho it gives a deep gurgle like a muscle car.

Easy to test if u want, look at the right tailpipe from road level, the vacuum pipe is easy to see, just pop it off to listen to the difference. Pop it back on when done.

I'm undecided whether I'll keep it this way.. It's fun to try tho!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 318d Exclusive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
If you're seeing smoke get it to the dealer! Lol but if you're seeing steam, you'll get it from both, more or less. Essentially the silencer with the flap has a bypass to allow exhaust through. The silencer flap closes dependent on the vacuum state of the engine. Idea being it opens under load, closes at other times.

From what I've seen in the last few days, it makes a difference only at very low revs or under load on the motorway. Bit more boomy but not badly so. At idle tho it gives a deep gurgle like a muscle car.

Easy to test if u want, look at the right tailpipe from road level, the vacuum pipe is easy to see, just pop it off to listen to the difference. Pop it back on when done.

I'm undecided whether I'll keep it this way.. It's fun to try tho!
Wrong word, smoke as in steam, you know on a cold northern mornng

I'm pretty sure mine stays open all the time, as soon as the first 20 secs is up?

When its really cold it makes a right clunk when it opens up.

David
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0