New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
maxzander
Private
Rep
Drives: z4 e89

ipad mounted

using velcro method.. no holes, no drilling needed.. Juz for fun though...
with idrive & without idrive
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
taYab
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 E60 '09 E89 '14 F25

Why would you ruin your interior with it?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
KrisNL
Hero of the Day
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

awful...

ipad is handy, but not while driving...
      01-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

he did say just for fun you know..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

SLS as background??? WTF?!?
      01-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
mcbeee
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 Z4 s35i & '03 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2003 Z4 3.0i  [5.00]
2001 Z3 3.0i  [0.00]
2009 Z4 s35i  [7.00]
I didn't want Sat nav
coz I knew I'd kill myself fiddling with it, an iPad is premeditated suicide...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
maxzander
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taYab View Post
Why would you ruin your interior with it?
chill man..i didnt ruin the interior...everything is perfectly fine as im using velcro..it is removable.....
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 12:01 AM   #8
Otago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive 30i manual

Not very parctical, it seems to be taken up a lot of space.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 12:17 AM   #9
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 2.0i

What functionality did you get through the iDrive ? I can see where this would be nice to have simply for the TomTom nav program and most wonderful "Safety Cameras" POI, and the POI for the Nordshliefe viewing point POI (http://www.northloop.co.uk/photography.htm) for getting around traffic when it gets busy, which it always does...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Apart from the obvious fitment issues with attaching a device that large to the dash in that location in a Z4, installing an iPad in a car is becoming sort of a craze. People are trying to figure out how to make it look professional. Below are a few tube videos of installations that look a bit ghetto (or just plain cheap) for the time being but I think given a little more time they'll get it right.

An iPad in a car provides all the functionality (except access to car's computer) that you wish iDrive could do, but better, such as bluetooth, music, add your own apps, access your email, the internet, gps, etc. I think the future of iPad installations in cars is the future, but unfortunately it just doesn't fit in this application.

1st generation ipad mounting in Range Rover

iPad in Car - Scosche Dash Kit for iPad

Fishman's iPad Install

Last edited by teagueAMX; 01-21-2011 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #11
maxzander
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
SLS as background??? WTF?!?
i luv SLS!!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 06:27 AM   #12
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Geeez... Why????
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #13
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

well, I have to say I love my z4, and I love my ipad. Just not together though.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #14
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

I'm sure you could potentially hack the cars computer and have way more info displayed than what idrive currently gives you and if you do it up professionally, perhaps moving the cd slot or radio out of the way and putting a tilt frame there that would auto charge the iPad you could have a killer setup. You could probably even hack the sarter button and put it as a key code on the iPad and/or the sport button separate it and put three touch buttons on the iPad. the potential is limitless as long as you are willing to hack the iPad your Z and have the spare change to do it.
      01-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yep a lot is possible. And I think if it was integrated properly into the design of the car, people would say Me Too! But it will take some time and money for sure.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 05:23 AM   #16
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxzander View Post
using velcro method.. no holes, no drilling needed.. Juz for fun though...
with idrive & without idrive
And your point is................................?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 06:05 AM   #17
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I once was pushed off the road by a lady while she was on her cell phone going thru a stop sign turning right onto a major 4 lane divided highway. I'm sure most of us have had similar incidents. Many people have lost there lives in situations like this all over the world. Now to reverse the situation laws are revised to make it a traffic offence to use a cell phone while driving. Where I live the law is now in effect that a cell phone cannot be used while driving unless it is a handsfree cell.

I cannot help bud think how many people will have to loose there life before this idiotic idea of mounting an iPad on the dash is forbidden.

I have nothing against the iPad being in a car (same as a laptop), however, it belongs in a carrying case and not mounted on the dash. The temptation is to great to use it while driving and as we all know it takes just a second or two to end up in the ditch, around a tree or heaven forbid in the lane of oncoming traffic.

The iPad is only out a short while and already there are people that manufacture devices to mount the iPad to a car dash. Don't we already have enough distractions on our car dash?

In one word I can only say ......... Why?

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #18
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I once was pushed off the road by a lady while she was on her cell phone going thru a stop sign turning right onto a major 4 lane divided highway. I'm sure most of us have had similar incidents. Many people have lost there lives in situations like this all over the world. Now to reverse the situation laws are revised to make it a traffic offence to use a cell phone while driving. Where I live the law is now in effect that a cell phone cannot be used while driving unless it is a handsfree cell.

I cannot help bud think how many people will have to loose there life before this idiotic idea of mounting an iPad on the dash is forbidden.

I have nothing against the iPad being in a car (same as a laptop), however, it belongs in a carrying case and not mounted on the dash. The temptation is to great to use it while driving and as we all know it takes just a second or two to end up in the ditch, around a tree or heaven forbid in the lane of oncoming traffic.

The iPad is only out a short while and already there are people that manufacture devices to mount the iPad to a car dash. Don't we already have enough distractions on our car dash?

In one word I can only say ......... Why?
+10. There are times when too much become too much....
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #19
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Well, I like it. Your passenger can watch a movie while you go on a trip...or you can play angry birds while you drive (don't do that). Those piggies must be vanquished.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #20
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

For Rolf-Dieter and others, first and foremost, I agree that nothing should distract our attention from safe driving.

IMO, with the Z4 there’s a couple of considerations but it’s a matter of technology vs the driving experience. If you pop over to FerrariChat, there’s F430 and 458 owners that swear up and down they don’t need or use their radios. It distracts attention from that intense driving experience they look for. The California owners aren’t looking for quite that intense experience and want a nice sound system. I’d suggest that Z4 owner are similar to the California category and look for balanced sports car driving experience, including a nice sound system. Of course, there’s majority in the middle who have commented about Ferrari’s poor to mediocre quality sound systems, even the so called Premium ($5,000+) regardless of the model car.

In the final analysis I’ll go back to my original point in the thread and that is the level of integration of an iPad or other similar devices eventually will be very professional. People will look at it and say “YEAH, ME TOO”! It’s just a matter of time and we’re not there yet so it looks very awkward.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 01-28-2011 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #21
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
For Rolf-Dieter and others, first and foremost, I agree that nothing should distract our attention from safe driving.

IMO, with the Z4 there’s a couple of considerations but it’s a matter of technology vs the driving experience. If you pop over to FerrariChat, there’s F430 and 458 owners that swear up and down they don’t need or use their radios. It distracts attention from that intense driving experience they look for. The California owners aren’t looking for quite that intense experience and want a nice sound system. I’d suggest that Z4 owner are similar to the California category and look for balanced sports car driving experience, including a nice sound system. Of course, there’s majority in the middle who have commented about Ferrari’s poor to mediocre quality sound systems, even the so called Premium ($5,000+) regardless of the model car.

In the final analysis I’ll go back to my original point in the thread and that is the level of integration of an iPad or other similar devices eventually will be very professional. People will look at it and say “YEAH, ME TOO”! It’s just a matter of time and we’re not there yet so it looks very awkward.
+1

I fully agree and on my trip last summer across the US all the way to the coast we did enjoy at times the iPod and iPhone stored music hidden away under my centre armrest. Most of the time I did enjoy the great sound of my twin-turbo

Some high end cars have the provision already for mounting of the iPad for the rear passengers and I have no problem with that at all.

I will pick up my new family car tomorrow it has the COMMAND navigation with voice control the premium harman/kardon LOGIC7 sound system with 12 speakers surround sound. It features a 7" color display, a fast 40GB hard drive iPad integration etc etc. That will do me and it is hidden away just like the one in my Z4. The difference is I need not use my hands to change play lists I can do that by voice control it will be cool I cannot wait tomorrow is the day. I shall post photos later of the new addition and hope the new pair of wheels will get along with my Z4 in the garage. (no it is not a Cadi, Audi or BMW).

UPDATE

Picked up our new Family Car this morning (nice drive I must say) nice to just tell the car where to guide me and what to play who to call love this voice COMAND control. Love the exterior, glad I had the window tint added at the dealership. One of the photos below, taken at the dealership car wash just before final delivery. More photos in my Photo Album.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 03-01-2011 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #22
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List

Added a photo of my new family car, hope she will not start a fight with my Z4 in the garage.

Appreciate 0