New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-14-2010, 02:08 AM   #1
Davinci
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Lookin for Lambo Door for Z4 E89

anyone brave enough to have "LAMBO DOOR" on your lovely E89
please post pictures here

So far from Google , found only from old E87 Z4
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 04:47 AM   #2
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1222147665
      12-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
Drjoeb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Seems so dates now. Although the Gumpert Apollo still uses them. They do look good on a Gumpert, but for 500k, I'll keep my plain doors.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

If I win the lottery, this is definitely on my "To Do" list, prioritized right after "Vacation Trip to Afganistan".
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Don't forget to pick up a set of 26" spinners to go with the doors.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

ROFLOL
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjoeb View Post
Seems so dates now. Although the Gumpert Apollo still uses them. They do look good on a Gumpert, but for 500k, I'll keep my plain doors.
Not sure what model you may be referring to, but these are gull-wing and not the Lambo style. The gull-wing door is considered pretty cool - maybe because you can't duplicate them that easy.

Gumpert Apollo Images
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
Drjoeb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Not sure what model you may be referring to, but these are gull-wing and not the Lambo style. The gull-wing door is considered pretty cool - maybe because you can't duplicate them that easy.

Gumpert Apollo Images
Yes, I just noticed the difference. Ok gull doors are in, Lambo type doors are out. The gull doors are pretty nice.Surprised BMW never tried using them on some of their higher line cars
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjoeb View Post
Yes, I just noticed the difference. Ok gull doors are in, Lambo type doors are out. The gull doors are pretty nice.Surprised BMW never tried using them on some of their higher line cars
The cost of true gullwing doors on a DOT approved production car is extremely high. Look at the new Mercedes. If has explosives in the hinges that blow in the event of a rollover accident. Not likely you will see GW doors on a car below the $200k price range.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

http://twistedsifter.com/2009/12/the...-selection-13/
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Looks like a Smoky Mountain summer project some pice of art hand made apparently

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 03-01-2011 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #12
Drjoeb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
The cost of true gullwing doors on a DOT approved production car is extremely high. Look at the new Mercedes. If has explosives in the hinges that blow in the event of a rollover accident. Not likely you will see GW doors on a car below the $200k price range.
Ok that's some pretty expensive and jazzy hardware just for doors. No wonder you don't see them much on the lower priced cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #13
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Looks like a Smoky Mountain summer project some pice of art hand made apparently
You come up with some good ones Rolf.

I'm looking at that photo trying to figure out why that old geezer has a Lamborghini Countach on metal skids outside of a a mountain cabin right next to huge piles of dirt. Is he holding a dog or maybe he's trying to light the jet packs. Help me out here Rolf.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 12-14-2010 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Teague,

I believe I can answer your question. This was posted on Jalopnik & Autoblog about a year ago. Guy hand built this car in his basement. When he was finished, he couldn't get it out of the basement.

There are a series of photos on the web available, that shows the whole project in action, right up to the point where he had to saw his cinder block basement wall out, dig up all the dirt (that you see in the picture), put these special skids down, and tow the car up the incline (from his basement).

Then he sold it. Pretty anti-climatic if you ask me, but good story about the guy building the car; worth a read if you can find the original article & pics.

EDIT: Here's the original Jalopnik link: http://jalopnik.com/5065896/hand+mad...s-light-of-day

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv

Last edited by BMWZ4; 12-14-2010 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #15
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
You come up with some good ones Rolf.

I'm looking at that photo trying to figure out why that old geezer has a Lamborghini Countach on metal skids outside of a a mountain cabin right next to huge piles of dirt. Is he holding a dog or maybe he's trying to light the jet packs. Help me out here Rolf.
Sorry I cannot recall where on earth I found that one, however, the kind of Lamborghini I do like can be seen in the link below, however, my choice of exterior colour would be read naturally. I would be quite willing to let the lady select the interior decor

For the Link to the Yellow creation Click

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #16
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Marien View Post
Teague,

I believe I can answer your question. This was posted on Jalopnik & Autoblog about a year ago. Guy hand built this car in his basement. When he was finished, he couldn't get it out of the basement.

There are a series of photos on the web available, that shows the whole project in action, right up to the point where he had to saw his cinder block basement wall out, dig up all the dirt (that you see in the picture), put these special skids down, and tow the car up the incline (from his basement).

Then he sold it. Pretty anti-climatic if you ask me, but good story about the guy building the car; worth a read if you can find the original article & pics.

EDIT: Here's the original Jalopnik link: http://jalopnik.com/5065896/hand+mad...s-light-of-day

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Sorry I cannot recall where on earth I found that one, however, the kind of Lamborghini I do like can be seen in the link below, however, my choice of exterior colour would be read naturally. I would be quite willing to let the lady select the interior decor

For the Link to the Yellow creation Click
Well guys, that was quite a build. Thanks.

I have to say the article was worth the read. Still don't know who the old guy is - LOL. This is my favorite photo of them all:

Attached Images

Last edited by teagueAMX; 12-14-2010 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #17
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Teague,

Dave
Thanks for finding it again. I looked low and high without success

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #18
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Teague,

Dave
I rem that one...I think the guy made it go even faster than the original? Amazing story.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #19
foxhunt
Registered
China
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 e89 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinci View Post
anyone brave enough to have "LAMBO DOOR" on your lovely E89
please post pictures here

So far from Google , found only from old E87 Z4