New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #23
Mace
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 M3

Disabling the exhaust butterfly valve is common for the 335i. It does not throw a code in the 335i when done but I'd be a bit concerned about water getting into the vacuum actuator so I'g get a small piece of hose and seal it. There's another mod along the line of the golf-tee mod that's less obvious. Unplug the vacuum line and insert a 7/32 ball bearing into the tube then plug the line back in. You can't tell it's there unless you actually feel for it and both the line and tube leading into the vacuum actuator are sealed. The ball bearing is supposed to be too large to move through the hose. You probably don't want it being sucked up the line to whatever the vacuum source is.

For the 335i there's also another real easy option here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80661 I'm not sure about the Z4 version of this though. I currently have a 335i and won't be getting my Z4 until May so I can't check this myself but someone might want to look for that plug in the taillight area of their Z. This mod does not cause any driver alerts but supposedly there will be a stored maintenance code. It's easy enough to plug this back in before taking it in for other service.

One thing to consider is that the valve can stick in the open position if it isn't exercised regularly. I know this because I left it unplugged for about a year and it's now stuck open. The nice part is that I can leave it plugged in now and I still have the "mod".

Last edited by Mace; 10-31-2010 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 11:53 AM   #24
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

The easy solution to capping both the actuator and the vacuum line...

http://www.amazon.com/Holley-26-105-...8543861&sr=1-2
Attached Images

Appreciate 0