New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
techno10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 xi

finally got a 2011 sdrive35is

So I finally was able to find a sdrive35is in my price range that didn't have beige interior and wasn't way overpriced. It has 62k miles though and was a little higher than I really wanted.

That said.. what would be the first couple of upgrades you guys would do? The exhaust actually sounds nice enough and the suspension is active and tight enough where I don't think i need to upgrade (at least not right away).

I guess I'm open to a tune and I've used COBB stuff in the past without any issue.. Not sure I want to play around much so doing an easy path for a tune would be more appreciated.

Looking for recommendations!

thanks,
Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 01:52 PM   #2
Kessler35is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 50i, 2016 E89 35is

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [0.00]
2015 X5 50i  [0.00]
MHD seems to be the way to go for a tune. If you have an Android device you can go find it in the play store as MHD Flasher N54.

You'll need a cable and OTG adaptor to connect it to your device.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
techno10
Enlisted Member
Rep

I see that the OTG functions to allow USB devices to hook up to an android device. What type of cable can I use to connect it to the car then? (If anyone could provide an amazon or monoprice link that would be much appreciated).

Also if I just want a nice bump in power without going crazy what tune should I get and how much would it cost via MHD?

Also if anyone else wants to post their setups (cable, device and what you use to hold it in the car) that would be awesome.. Just finding out about this whole MHD thing. I guess I could purchase cheap android tablet specifically for the car and just leave it in there.

thanks,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessler35is View Post
MHD seems to be the way to go for a tune. If you have an Android device you can go find it in the play store as MHD Flasher N54.

You'll need a cable and OTG adaptor to connect it to your device.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 11:56 PM   #4
Deljus
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35i

You'll need an Android device, K+Dcan cable, and a USB OTG cable. It's $99 for the flasher, and $49 for a map pack. So for ~$150 you can flash Stage 1 while keeping your car stock if you want a nice bump without going crazy. Also, once the flash is complete, you just unplug the Android device from your car. No need to leave it in there.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1096242

^That should answer most any other questions you may have. And you can check out the MHD user manual there for links to pre-tested K+Dcan cables. Also quite a few tutorials on youtube if needed. It's really quite a simple process.
      11-21-2017, 01:33 AM   #5
mrkoven
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35i

MHD is great
      11-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #6
techno10
Enlisted Member
Rep

down pipes options..

I'm trying to stay legal and not even go into a grey area with emissions.. That said I guess a few companies make DPs with cats in them.. Is it even worth installing DPs with cats? Would I see any improvements worth the cost? I live in PA and don't want to deal with trying to get my car inspected every year..

thanks,
Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 01:59 AM   #7
distinctperson
Human
Rep
Drives: 2014 E89 35is

There are downpipe CEL fixes. I purchased my fix along with the catless DP (from Burger Tuning.) I suggest you look into that first before going for the catted option -- unless you're genuinely environmentally conscious.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 09:08 PM   #8
techno10
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctperson View Post
There are downpipe CEL fixes. I purchased my fix along with the catless DP (from Burger Tuning.) I suggest you look into that first before going for the catted option -- unless you're genuinely environmentally conscious.
I guess I'm actually trying to avoid having any sort of emissions issues during inspection and actually trying to stay green a bit. I sent MHD tuning an email asking about Downpipes and tunes but haven't heard back which kinda stinks.

Seems like if i go with stage 1 91 octane tune I wouldn't get much increase in power since I have an sdrive35is so I'm kinda at a loss right now on what upgrades are actually worth the time. I could look at DCI just for the sound I guess

thanks,
Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 02:44 AM   #9
distinctperson
Human
Rep

Look into build threads here. There a few people who have written up comprehensive details of their upgrades (I have a thread about my IS as well.) Once you do that, you can devise a plan that comports with your parameters, or ask specifics that will get generate constructive responses (as opposed to a generic "what should I do."

Filipo, jtsny, and NoQuarters's threads/posts have helped me shape my plan.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #10
techno10
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctperson View Post
Look into build threads here. There a few people who have written up comprehensive details of their upgrades (I have a thread about my IS as well.) Once you do that, you can devise a plan that comports with your parameters, or ask specifics that will get generate constructive responses (as opposed to a generic "what should I do."

Filipo, jtsny, and NoQuarters's threads/posts have helped me shape my plan.

Good luck.
Right I understand what you are saying but needed a starting point. Also MHD did get back to me and I think I've come up with a plan. Unfortunately I'm only going to get around 40 more HP without DPs (which is fine for me).

1 other question is I have the button to select "normal/sport/sport+" but I'm not sure if it actually adjusts the suspension? I know it tightens the steering wheel but if I had to guess it's not really making the car suspension tighter.. Any way to verify? I'm actually hoping I don't have the adjustable dampers because I might just go with coilovers..

thanks,
Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #11
distinctperson
Human
Rep

IS models have adjustable dampers; different modes affect the suspension, even if by just a little bit.
Appreciate 0