New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #133
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobike
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsiaKid View Post
if you have an IS, stage 1 is essentially the same figures as IS. you need to tune it to stage II (or IS' stage I) for you to get any feel from it. The software you purchased allows you to choose either stage 1 or 2 (i think, i ordered it but didnt install it yet). But because our 35is comes with BMW's own stage 1, you need to use ESS" stage 2 (which is a stage 1 tune for the 35is) - does that make sense?

Btw, to the others reading it. Do you need any upgrades to handle the stage 2? Or can it run witth everything else stock?
I've emailed ESS to get a definitive answer, and will report back once they get me some answers.

From what I can tell after driving them side-by-side, I don't feel any difference between stock+ESS(stage1) vs. stock for the 35is DCT.
If you can't tell any difference between your stock 2011 35is and the ESS tune, I'm guessing it didn't actually download properly when you had your battery issue. Maybe return your stock tune, then reinstall the ESS tune. I honestly do not know any other reason why you can't feel an obvious difference in the torque. Unless, push your foot down harder.

Last edited by wdlfbio; 09-10-2012 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 04:11 AM   #134
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

Yeah I agree, there is not a huge amount of difference since the stock IS/1M engine is well tuned from factory. In fact some guys did dyno testing on a 1M and ESS and found only a small difference.

Only way to tell for sure is to do a before/after dyno.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #135
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobike View Post
I did not notice any difference in Power/Torque after loading the ESS tune

I admit that I'm clueless when it comes to cars or maybe unlucky as well! The initial software load was unsuccessful, so I recharged the car battery for a couple of hours, and it worked after that. Did I not do something right, or my expectation of "wow" like what others have mentioned is just too high?

I have a 2011 35iS DCT, and according to the software upgrade it's for StageI. I guess this thread is for Stage2. I paid $995 and I thought I was getting Stage2???

I ran this software in my personal Z4 35is and I can tell you that you should feel a difference. Do a read on the software currently in your car and send the file to AJ, he can verify if you loaded the correct file.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #136
R4R
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
I have posted a performance measurement video with data in a new thread of its own, but i thought that this thread was an appropriate place to post it as well.

Here
www.vehicle-launch-incar-video.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #137
nsyt
Registered
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4R View Post
I have posted a performance measurement video with data in a new thread of its own, but i thought that this thread was an appropriate place to post it as well.

Here
good stuff
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #138
nsyt
Registered
Rep
Drives: z4

any onr tried both jb4 and ess stage 2?

earlier some,are un willing to pay for ess tunning cos its locked to the vin of the car ..its fair cos it makes business sense to do so .

if you had two cars you would need 2 jb4 piggy backs, so no difference ...only that there may be resale value of the jb4

but i am sure we can also install back the original software when we sell off the car and ask the new owner for a nominal fee to have the ess map

roman ESS ... is the 35i map stage 2,similar to the 35is stock map ???are the boost the same ?

after tunning to stage 2 will the 35i be on par to the stock 35is ?

cant decide but leaning towards ESS as dont want the jerky feeling with jb4

TIA
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #139
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4R View Post

Here
Thanks, I would like to see what comes out with a stage II tune. This is the one thing that is missing. I havent found any data besides dyno numbers to support the increase. I want to get an ess Tune for the 35iS but unfortunately no data to support the HP claims...0-60 / 0-100 / 50-70 passing etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #140
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

I believe both stage 1 for the 35is and stage 2 for the 35i takes the turbo boost target to what is considered the maximum level that the N54 turbos can run "safely". The OEM tune of the 35is obviously run higher boost targets than the 35i all of the time (335hp vs 300hp), and additionally increased targets are available for a short amount of time.

No matter the actual boost targets, with ESS they are available all of the time. I assume the ESS targets arent much higher than the targets for the 35is over-boost, and even if, it will be hard to feel 5-10% extra torque anyhow. But having the over-boost available all of the time makes sense for example in cooler high speed situations, or if you upgrade the intercooler. It seems like a design compromise when the over-boost function is only available for a fixed amount of seconds no matter the cooling available. On top of that there is the added engine responsiveness and, depending on your tastes, drive-ability of the ESS tune. It does not make the N54 or DCT more jerky imo.

But of course it makes a bit more sense spending money on tuning a 35i compared to a 35is, given that the 35is is comparable to a 35i ESS stage 1 with stage 2-level performance available as over-boost.

I guess the actual psi values are a bit less than what is made possible with the adaptive map from JB. At least I hope so, because I didn't lease mine, and one user here ruined his turbos with JB map 5 (although after tens of thousands of km). . The ESS tune also changes other functions such as ignition timing, vanos position, wastegate control, load limiters, fueling etc but also here details have not been made available so far. Against this I am not sure if the JB can be considered a quality tune, but I like some of the extra functions they added.

EDIT it seems ESS stage 2 runs 14-15psi which is similar to JB4 map 5. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=193156&page=4

Last edited by Asbjorn; 03-13-2013 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #141
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsyt View Post

earlier some,are un willing to pay for ess tunning cos its locked to the vin of the car ..its fair cos it makes business sense to do so .

if you had two cars you would need 2 jb4 piggy backs, so no difference ...only that there may be resale value of the jb4

but i am sure we can also install back the original software when we sell off the car and ask the new owner for a nominal fee to have the ess map

roman ESS ... is the 35i map stage 2,similar to the 35is stock map ???are the boost the same ?

TIA
Our 35is tune is the same as the 35i stage 2 tune. Both tunes will take the stock turbo's to what we feel are safe limits in an attempt to get max performance out of the N54. The overboost option on the 35is is replaced with always available power. Going beyond the boost levels we use will require a turbo upgrade if you want reliability.

We also recalibrate many other settings in the DME which allow the car to perform like a factory car. This includes throttle response, boost control and having DCT vehicles shift properly as the DME and TCU do communicate. Having the two control systems function properly together is key in getting OEM driveability.

If you ever have questions on our software you can always PM or email me direct.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #142
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Our 35is tune is the same as the 35i stage 2 tune. Both tunes will take the stock turbo's to what we feel are safe limits in an attempt to get max performance out of the N54. The overboost option on the 35is is replaced with always available power. Going beyond the boost levels we use will require a turbo upgrade if you want reliability.

We also recalibrate many other settings in the DME which allow the car to perform like a factory car. This includes throttle response, boost control and having DCT vehicles shift properly as the DME and TCU do communicate. Having the two control systems function properly together is key in getting OEM driveability.

If you ever have questions on our software you can always PM or email me direct.
Any different in exhaust note, notably on a 35iS?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #143
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

During normal cruising at say 80kmh I think mine is a bit more quiet with stage 2 (compared to OEM and stage 1). I wonder if it is because the turbos represent a higher resistance to the exhaust flow due to the increased boost?

I also wonder if the baseline boost is changed with the ESS tune?

It is really hard to be objective on these sound matters as wind and many other factors play in as well. But in any case, I believe that if you want a significant change in exhaust note, you better look at hardware upgrades instead.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #144
cwotoddgood
Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i w/ M-sport package

Sounds like an "is" with a stage II is seriously encroaching on a stock M3s' territory! IMHO the 35is just needs the 6M to complete the package.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #145
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsyt View Post

TIA
ESS on our 2012 35is. Totally stock other than that. About $1,000.

JB4 Stage2, Map 1 on our 2012 335 xi (E92, AT), AE performance exhaust and BMS intake (no power addition). No DPs, so can't run Map 2. About $500 for the JB4 and $1,800 for the exhaust.

The Z4 will walk away from the 335xi. EXCEPT, if it's pouring rain and we are taking off from a stop (just the AWD vs RWD). The Z4 sounds so much better too.

But, I have needed to remove the ESS tune a time or too, and each time I had to email ESS for the new software version. Apparently, they change it out or it's set to expire fairly often. But, each time I asked, they were very prompt to email me the new software and answer my questions. I just wish I never had to ask for the new version. At least with JB4, I can walk out to the garage and pull the hardware out in 15 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #146
haspi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: SDrive35i

I just ordered mine today!!! can't wait. I hope I wont kill the DCT...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #147
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

I still cant believe that no one has figures to compare yet. I was hoping to see some 0-60 times, 1/4 times of stock, stage 1 and stage 2 differences. Also some dyno comparisions would be nice. Although im 100% satisfied with the ESS in stage 2 I just want to know what the difference is.
      04-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #148
haspi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm sure Roman or someone at ESS has the numbers...I would like to see that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
I still cant believe that no one has figures to compare yet. I was hoping to see some 0-60 times, 1/4 times of stock, stage 1 and stage 2 differences. Also some dyno comparisions would be nice. Although im 100% satisfied with the ESS in stage 2 I just want to know what the difference is.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #149
dr_mikee
Rep
Drives: e89 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by haspi View Post
I'm sure Roman or someone at ESS has the numbers...I would like to see that as well.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #150
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

Any before/after dynos or track times? Curious what the difference in the 1/4 trap speed is.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #151
haspi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

anyone has an experience installing with windows 8 laptop? apparently win8 is not supported by the usb cable driver. There may be a work around. I wanted to check if you guys have any experience. I definitely do not want to mess the update for these technical issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #152
pbu06
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by haspi
anyone has an experience installing with windows 8 laptop? apparently win8 is not supported by the usb cable driver. There may be a work around. I wanted to check if you guys have any experience. I definitely do not want to mess the update for these technical issues.
I had same usb driver issues with win8. Just had to use my friend's computer whos running on 7.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #153
haspi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbu06 View Post
I had same usb driver issues with win8. Just had to use my friend's computer whos running on 7.
I managed to find a win7 laptop finally (not convenient) and updated to stage 2.
Now I'm getting a 2fa3 coding missing error
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #154
haspi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haspi View Post
I managed to find a win7 laptop finally (not convenient) and updated to stage 2.
Now I'm getting a 2fa3 coding missing error
UPDATE: I managed to load up the software to Win8 laptop and connect to the car. Thanks to ESS's great customer support. Let me know if you guys have the similar issue.

Still waiting for the 2FA3 code...which keeps coming up after I clear the codes through the software. Hopefully that will get fixed as well...
Appreciate 0