New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

E89 on MOST bus or iBus?

I've asked two dealerships now for the part number for the ipod interface adapter for my car, and they both gave me the iBus version. But I'm almost certain that E89 (as well as E9x) is on the MOST bus, which is fiber optic, and not iBus, which is copper wiring. Can anyone confirm?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

For some reason I thought the series with the bmw logic 7 had the fiber optic bus, and the e89 was iBus, but I could be totally wrong about that.

Here a site that can help you look up various part numbers that may help you. The selection matrix will walk you through the process.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/index.do
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
For some reason I thought the series with the bmw logic 7 had the fiber optic bus, and the e89 was iBus, but I could be totally wrong about that.

Here a site that can help you look up various part numbers that may help you. The selection matrix will walk you through the process.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/index.do
The part # from real OEM doesn't match the one I have. Here's the one I have:

http://parts.bmwofalexandria.com/pro...52d429%29.html

And also, from the E89 technical document I have:

That seems to be pretty definitive. I don't understand why the dealers keep giving me iBus part numbers.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #4
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

You have definitely nailed it.

Are you installing the parts yourself, or having a tech do it for you? I ask because one route to verify is take a look behind that panel.

Seems strange that the dealer would be messing that up. Did you show him the same docs you have here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
The part # from real OEM doesn't match the one I have. Here's the one I have:

http://parts.bmwofalexandria.com/pro...52d429%29.html

And also, from the E89 technical document I have:

That seems to be pretty definitive. I don't understand why the dealers keep giving me iBus part numbers.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

My E89 35i 2/2011 has the MOST bus. The iBus was for the E89 before 6/2009
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
You have definitely nailed it.

Are you installing the parts yourself, or having a tech do it for you? I ask because one route to verify is take a look behind that panel.

Seems strange that the dealer would be messing that up. Did you show him the same docs you have here?
I was thinking about installing a 3rd party interface myself, since I heard the OEM Ipod interface has some annoying limitations. I mainly wanted to verify that I have MOST. I suppose I can just go look in behind that panel as you said. Or I can look behind the radio, which is just a small panel and two screws away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Shark View Post
My E89 35i 2/2011 has the MOST bus. The iBus was for the E89 before 6/2009
How did you come by this info? My production date is 07/27/2009. Do all E89 after 06/2009 have MOST?

Last edited by InsanePineapple; 11-21-2012 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Aside from the MOST/iBus argument, I thought the iPod interface integrated into the Hifi and was not connected to the MOST line?

While it doesn't state e89 in the PDF, this is the same kit my dealer sells for the e89...

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/attachme...5&d=1262620563
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
Aside from the MOST/iBus argument, I thought the iPod interface integrated into the Hifi and was not connected to the MOST line?

While it doesn't state e89 in the PDF, this is the same kit my dealer sells for the e89...

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/attachme...5&d=1262620563
All of these are on the MOST bus (I might have missed a couple):

CD Changer
6FL (USB/Ipod)
Assist
Bluetooth
HiFi

Since the ipod retrofit kit actually emulates a CD Changer, it's on MOST as well. Looking at your kit's PDF, it has a fiber optic cable. So that has to be MOST, since iBus is over copper wire.

Anyways, I just heard back from the dealer:

Quote:
We did a little more research and talked with our technician that does the installation for us. He confirmed that you are correct. You have a most bus. You will need part number 65-11-0-439-429.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #9
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

So I went ahead and took the radio out and confirmed that it is indeed MOST by the fiber optic cables. In fact, all the wires and connections are exactly the same as on a E9x.

[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 03:18 AM   #10
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Looks interesting... I have a 2009 so my iPod runs via the USB and AUX sockets connected up by the BMW Y cable. I've always felt the audio was lacking in quality compared to the music I put on the IDrive HD. I'd be interested in adding the iPod interface this way if the sound was taken from the iPod digitally rather than analogue on the AUX port.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 03:26 AM   #11
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
Looks interesting... I have a 2009 so my iPod runs via the USB and AUX sockets connected up by the BMW Y cable. I've always felt the audio was lacking in quality compared to the music I put on the IDrive HD. I'd be interested in adding the iPod interface this way if the sound was taken from the iPod digitally rather than analogue on the AUX port.
As far as I know, the ipod retrofit kit emulates a CD changer, so the music is passed through to the HU digitally. I remember reading some sound quality issues with the AUX input such that it attenuates a certain frequency bands. Although I also remember reading that it cannot be installed if you already have 6FL.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx
How did you come by this info? My production date is 07/27/2009. Do all E89 after 06/2009 have MOST?
Yes, according to my dealer, all cars after 6/2009 are MOST bus equipped.
I have a friend who has retrofitted the iPod module, his car is an 8/2009, his car has the MOST bus.. It is very simple to check it out, just take out the small plastic trim that is between the door rubber and the glove box (left side of the car) and you should be able to see if you have an MOST bus or not... A 2 minutes job, really....

EDITED: I am talking about the Euro Z4, this might or might not be true for NA ones.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have a friend who has retrofitted the iPod module, his car is an 8/2009, his car has the MOST bus.. It is very simple to check it out, just take out the small plastic trim that is between the door rubber and the glove box (left side of the car) and you should be able to see if you have an MOST bus or not... A 2 minutes job, really....

EDITED: I am talking about the Euro Z4, this might or might not be true for NA ones.
Thanks for the info. My glove box is on the right side of the car As you saw in my earlier post, I had confirmed that my car has MOST by checking for the fiber optic cable connecting to the radio.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #14
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx
Quote:

Thanks for the info. My glove box is on the right side of the car As you saw in my earlier post, I had confirmed that my car has MOST by checking for the fiber optic cable connecting to the radio.
Aaah cool than for those who are eager to check theirs, the MOST bus if existent is on the left side. If you are a LHD, than it would be under the plastic trim between the left door rubber and the Steering wheel console (mine is a RHD car)...
Appreciate 0