New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
September 11, 2001 10yr anniversary

Thought it might be good for anyone to share where they were, what they were doing, or really anything they feel about it, what you'll do tomorrow, whatever you want really...

except...

NO CONSPIRACY THEORIES OR DISRESPECTFUL POSTS

I personally will spend all day tomorrow watching NFL Football, fuck you terrorists.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

i was in my junior year of high school. i didn't have morning classes and was sound asleep. my mom woke me up and told me that there was a massive fire at the world trade center. i was like 'yea okay i'll wake up and look at it in a bit.' she was insistent that i get up and look at it on the tv. so i sluggishly got out of bed and went to the tv. i was watching for maybe a few minutes when tower 2 got hit. i was definitely awake at that point. school was subsequently canceled for that day and the next as the whole world just kind of put their lives on hold to watch what was going on. i'll never forget that day and the weeks after that. it was a tragedy of epic proportions, but the patriotism that came out of 9/11 in the weeks following the attack is something i doubt we'll ever see again.

what i'm doing tomorrow? watching football and drinking domestic light beer. fuck yea america.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
I was in 7th grade at the time. I just got to band class when it happened. We sat down and the teacher brought in a TV and we watched the chaos. All we did for the rest of that day was watch the news every period. I also remember that the mood in the school was completely awkward. Everyone was down and upset about what happened. I just felt weird that the teachers weren't all happy and excited like normal.

As for tomorrow, I'm going to a German car show in the morning. Then my organization is having a picnic in the afternoon. And then the remainder of the night will be spent studying for my accounting exam on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

I was in my 7th grade math class and my teacher had just collected our quizzes and stepped outside for a minute. She came back inside crying and we were all very confused. We actually thought she was crying because we did so bad on the work lol. After she told us that both towers we're hit by planes and collapsed, we were still confused about what was going on. She asked if any of our parents worked in the city and I had said my dad works in Washington Heights, far from the attack. Immediately parents starting taking their kids home one by one, but I stayed in school for the rest of the day. I came home and got to see the news footage and I couldn't believe what happened. I was a little kid then so of course there we're a lot of questions.

A few days ago I was watching this documentary on 9/11 and I kept wanting to turn off the TV. I was planning on going to ground zero last week, but then thought Id go when the memorial opens or when most of the work there is complete.

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
markham335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

i was 10 years old planning what i wanted for my bday (sept 18th is my bday) in class.. i think the teachers told us what happened or there was an announcement. Like silvergray said the mood changed and it was extremely awkward/sad.

tomorrow im going to mosport with a few friends for a track day.
Upgrades: <Cobb V3, DCI, BMS downpipes, ER charge pipe, Forge DV, bbs ch-r, 30%tint all around, bmw performance exhaust, umnitza V4 angel eyes>.....Next upgrades (I would like):intercooler, BBK, turbo upgrade....etc....
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
TimZ
Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: X5M

I was in the 4th grade when this happened. My school had a direct view of lower manhattan, you could see the rising cloud of smoke as the buildings burned, we were then evacuated to the basement where the cafeteria and gymnasium were. Parents came and picked up their kids, my mom came and picked me up. As I was walking home the towers had already fell and everyone from lower manhattan were moving up towards midtown. I'll never forget that walk home that day, I remember seeing tons of people all covered in dust and ashes and coughing and being helped by other pedestrians. This one woman was completely covered in grey, you could not see a single color of clothing on her or anything. School was canceled for a few days after that day.
Condolences to all the innocent people who lost their lives there

What I'll be doing tomorrow? Watch some sports and do homework at the same time
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
eVitO
trollololol
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: Too slow

I was in 4th grade too, just on the other side of the States in LA. I remember my friend coming up to me and telling me what happened, even though I was still confused. I always took the school bus home, and it was the first time my mom came to pick me up directly from school. I just remember the 10 minute moment of silence my teacher made us take, even though I didn't really understand why.

I'm not doing shit tomorrow. COD during the day, maybe go out at night, just like the rest of my Summer break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
why dont you leave him a love note on the car -- with hearts and shit

lol - seriously tho -- I find notes on my car sometimes -- but it's NEVER from girls -- -- damm M3 is a ghey magnet
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
It was the last few days during my summer break in Hong Kong. I was playing Snooker with my friend and dinner. Then on my way home I overheard people talking on the phone about the attack and I was skeptical about it, and my dad called me too. I told him its gotta be a cessna or something.

Then when I got home and saw the breaking news in HK, it was a disbelief image and no words can describe what happened. I stayed up all night watching the news.

I postponed the return trip back to Boston for college. During my fight to Boston, it was some erring feel and sadness on the flight.

Tomorrow, I'll be up early to watch Formula 1 Italian GP and go-kating.
      09-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

I remember clearly where I was when it happened. I was leaving my morning english class as a senior in undergrad. I was walking on the quad with a friend towards the parking lot, and I saw one of my other friends run over to me and say "did you hear about the plane that hit the trade center?" I was like "huh?" I seriously thought he was joking.

By the time I got to my car, I realized this was not a joke. I listened to the radio as I drove home. It took nearly 2 hours to get home because they already started evacuating downtown Cleveland, and I only lived 5 miles away. I was basically glued to the TV once I got home.

Tomorrow I plan on... working, sadly. Hopefully I'll get some time to see the Brownies play.
      09-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
I was in 7th grade at the time. I just got to band class when it happened. We sat down and the teacher brought in a TV and we watched the chaos. All we did for the rest of that day was watch the news every period. I also remember that the mood in the school was completely awkward. Everyone was down and upset about what happened. I just felt weird that the teachers weren't all happy and excited like normal.
This is basically how it went down for me to, right down to band class and everything. I was a freshmen, overheard some loudmouth after gym in the locker talking about how there was a huge plane crash - he had the reputation of being a clown so no one thought anything of it. Got to next class with the TVs on, and watched & talked for the rest of the day/week. Parents were allowed to get their kids but most stayed, as work, life, etc. went on, albeit pretty sullenly.

I know this is a pretty young forum but any of the older guys who were working 10 years ago - much the same, just in an office setting? I can't remember any school or work being cancelled, but I can't imagine much work was getting done...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

I remember coming home from school at age 12, my brother was home sick that day and was watching TV. The minute I walked into the living room i saw the second jet crashing into the WTC. I remember everything so vividly.

Must have watched every video & photo that made the internet directly after that a billion times thinking WTF. I then played kill Bin Laden games & watched comedy animations that killed arabs lol. I remember one with Bush sending them their first white christmas but turned out it was anthrax
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #12
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

I was in the 6th grade staring out the window right as the first plane hit. Then I see my principal come to the door and call my teacher outside. She comes back in about a half hour later to continue the class and closes all the blinds. About 20 minutes after that she tells everyone to go to the auditorium and wait for our parents to come for us. We were never told about the situation that happened but I knew as soon as I saw it what happened. Before we left the class I decided to sneak a peek out the window again just to confirm what I saw and then I seen the second tower covered with smoke. I was terrified but at the same time too young to really know what was going on. When my parents came and got me from school on the way home they explained that NYC was attacked and that is why we were let out early from school.

Crazy day I will never forget.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #13
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

You guys are pretty young for the most part. Making me feel old....

I was at the University of Michigan. I was living on Church St just south of Hill, taking a semester off because I was choosing between two majors and had my prereqs fulfilled at that point for both. Was feeling really a bit lost in a system TBH.

I woke up to my friend calling me and telling me to turn on the TV and that terrorists had taken out the WTC. I didn't believe it and I was sure he was joking. Obviously after I turned on the TV I realized he wasn't joking. Both towers had already fallen by the time I knew anything was going on at all.

I got up and went outside. Everyone else was also outside, and many kids were returning from class. Everybody was asking everybody else what was doing on. A couple wild theories abounded already, but shit was still real cloudy as far as the facts go. It was like a dream. The more we started to know, the more angry I got.

Went and joined the USMC to finally accomplish something I'd be proud of. Did OK.

Fin.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
You guys make me feel old haha.

I was a freshman in college. My dad called me and woke me up right after the first plane hit. Watched it all day with people on the floor in my dorm. Classes were instantly cancelled for several days.

My dads whole side of the family lives in the NYC area with a few that worked in the city. Pretty hectic, sad, scary day. It will surely never be forgotten.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #15
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
I bought a 1,000 round of .223 and 500 of .45 and another 500 of 9mm

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #16
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a Tuk Tuk

I was still in elementary school when it happened. They never told the teachers until after lunch, and when we came back I could tell my teacher looked pretty distraught. They went over the intercom and said we were on high alert or something but wouldn't tell us anything.

When I got home my parents turned the TV off before I could see anything and my father said "some mean people did something terrible to your country today". He went on to talk about how we were going to rebound from this and remain strong and we would be safe no matter what.

I guess I was too young to really wrap my mind around what I was watching on TV. I didn't know who the hell the Taliban were or why they would fly planes into the WTC and into DC. I think for the most part I was scared because my dad is an airline pilot. All he said was that "things are going to change for us, especially for [my dad and his] career". Years later Delta is laying off thousands of workers and we're taking pretty serious paycuts. Then my dad had to explain to me why they were striking. The years after 9/11 were crazy for us and really anyone else in the airline industry. Fortunately my parents are huge savers so we were never really in a financial crisis and Delta is starting to treat their pilots like they should be again... Oh yeah, except for how they took away his retirement, then gave it back to him in the form of two huge checks which we had to pay almost $80,000 in taxes on.... yeah...

It's amazing how much we've changed since that day and I can't end this without thanking our heroes at home and overseas who fought and continue to fight through all the shit going on these days to keep us safe.

Oh yeah, fuck terrorists.
      09-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #17
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

i was a junior at penn state in my advanced thermodynamics physics lab setting up some experiments... my professor came in and told us a plane hit the WTC... I remember going into the penn state hub near the aquarium and seeing some people in hysteria and tears because their mom or dad worked at the WTC....

was a very sad sight
      09-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #18
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi

Damn I am much older than you guys

I was up a little late for a Monday night watching the Giants play on MNF, they got their asses kicked and the next morning I was still pissed off they started the season with a loss . I was getting ready to leave my house when my cell rang, It was my sales manager asking if I was had seen the news, I tuned in the news and
That was just before the second plane hit after a minute or two I told him to stay home and I would probably keep the store closed for the day. As the news feeds came I realized how bad this was and life as we knew it was going to change forever.

A few minutes later I get another call, the caller ID had a strange number on it like 0101010101 or something like that, I answer it and my friend who works for the Secret Service asked if I could meet him at my store to get some generators ready to ship up to NYC I said sure no problem,I asked if it was as bad as it sounded on the news he said, we don't know but it's not good. I paused and said I will see you in a half an hour.
I grabbed my .357 5 boxes of ammo (I have no idea why I did that but it made me feel a little more secure) and headed towards D.C. My dealership was about 2 miles from the D.C. line and as I went towards D.C. everybody was leaving D.C. at this point I was getting scared.
The radio had all sorts of misinformation at one point they said that a police helicopter was hijacked and I just so happened to have a police helicopter flying over me at the same time, The Pentagon was hit around the same time but I wasn't aware of it until I got to the store and my friend from the S.S was there and said there was a change of plans these were going downtown as soon as we could get them running.
We got about 15 generators up and running pretty quick and I gave him a few more out of my inventory to help out. I kept the store open for a couple of hours in case any other government agencies needed help but that was it.I tried calling my family in NY for what seemed like hours I finally got a hold of my dad and my brother who was in Brooklyn Heights watching it from the top of his brownstone while his wife was on a subway underneath the WTC heading for Grand Central he had no contact from her for 24 hrs. I locked up and went home. I will never forget how quiet it was that night, sitting on the deck looking at the stars and feeling relieved when an Air Force jet would cut the silence as it flew by overhead.
Tomorrow I will lower my flag to half staff and remember all those who died on that tragic day and try to enjoy a start to the NFL season but I know I will be just a little more on edge than usual

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #19
vioaltec
Sasha Fierce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 3 series coupe

i was 11 at the time, typical morning, getting ready for school. Saw it on TV and honestly didnt pay much attention to it until i got to school. I remember security guards yelling at us to get into school and the teachers shuttling their students into their classrooms afterwards saying that we were going into lockdown. My teacher turned on the TV and the whole class just watched everything unfold right infront of us. Everyone was dead silent, no immature jokes or laughters-just silence. The thing that i remember most was that our school was over the ILS for Oakland airport and there was not one single plane in the air that day, it was hella creepy.
      09-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #20
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

I was in 9th grade. Art period has just ended and as I was walking up the stairs to go to English, they redirected the students outside to the buses. They evacuated our school and took every student home. I remember trying to call my Mom and the phones not working. All lines were tied up. I just turned on the tv and watched it from home. Being 14 and trying to comprehend what was going on alone was very overwhelming. I lived right next to the Pentagon at the time of the attacks. We moved back to Louisiana that December because of 9/11
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #21
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Shocked at how young this crowd is.. I was a junior in college and had just returned from my Principles of Investing class. I got back to my dorm and flipped on CNBC and they were talking about a fire at the WTC. I watched the second plane hit on live TV then woke up my roommates. I found out a few days later that an acquaintance of mine from high school had just started working at Cantor Fitzgerald. He did not make it.

Working in Finance which was so heavily concentrated in that area at the time, I've heard some really crazy stories from coworkers who were there that day. One of our PMs was working at the WFC which is literally across the street from the towers. He said that after the first plane hit, they had the CNBC coverage on their TVs and were watching when suddenly they saw the second plane cross their view and hit the second tower - first hand and then again on the TVs. The whole floor then scattered immediately and headed out down the stairs and out of the building. The horror that he saw with all of the people hitting the ground is permanently engrained in his memory.

My grandfather worked at the WTC for many years in the 70s and 80s and absolutely hated it. He always felt that he was working in a target.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #22
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
freshman year in a programming class (lab)

teacher put up CNN on the projector when the first pictures came out.. he commented "must have been one drunk ass pilot!" we all laughed and shrugged it off...

we're Canadians though...
the second plane hadn't hit yet