New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
WMLAW03
Rep
Drives: 2009 e89 Z4

Build Quality Issue!!

Well I encountered the first quality issue with my new Z4. I needed to access the fuse panel to install a new circuit for a radar detector. To access the fuse panel you must first remove 3 screws from the panel under the glove compartment. These are the screws labeled as #1 on page 127 of the owner's manual for US models.

Each screw is supposed to be threaded through a metal clip. However, the clip for the screw closest to the center of the car was not in place. It was present, but just out of place. The screw itself had some material wrapped around it resembling the material used to wrap various parts of the wiring harness, and there was some sort of white sealant holding the material to the screw. This screw/material/sealant combination was then pushed through the hole where the clip was supposed to be.

No work has been performed to the car prior to my removal of the panel, and it seems most likely that this sloppy assembly happened at the assembly plant.

I am still very happy with my car, but this level of sloppiness is not acceptable on a $60K car.

Attached is a pic of the screw as it was installed in the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I would bet the clips are placed on the panel outside the car and one got mis-alligned when the panel was placed in the car. When the fuse cover was installed, they probably used the quick fix with the sealant, instead of finding a clip. I agree, its sloppy, but it is minor in the whole scheme of things. With many cars, screws and panels fall off the first week of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
WMLAW03
Rep
Drives: 2009 e89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
I would bet the clips are placed on the panel outside the car and one got mis-alligned when the panel was placed in the car. When the fuse cover was installed, they probably used the quick fix with the sealant, instead of finding a clip. I agree, its sloppy, but it is minor in the whole scheme of things. With many cars, screws and panels fall off the first week of ownership.
Agreed, very minor issue! I love my Z more and more with every mile. I was just a little surprised to find this on the car, so I thought I would post it.

My business bought two new 328 sedans in October 2008, and just traded them in on a 335 and the Z4. We have never had any other issue with any of the cars.
Appreciate 0