New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-24-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
kudac63
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: e92

z4 vs boxster s

hey guys, what do you think? whu buying z4 instead of boxster s?

in fifth gear they said boxster s much better than z4..

heres the link
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 02:31 AM   #2
dds
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster

My friend let me brake the news for you, as an owner of a 2007 Z4 3.0i with beautiful silver gray/black combination with premium pkg. blue tooth, heated seats, auto trans, auto climate control etc. it does not make sense to get the new Z because its nomenclature has changed: Its suspension with all 3 settings is mainly oriented toward comfort, cruiser, sporty behaved driving if you will, a combination that lets say my dad and mom would love without question its for those people who want the top down, look good and just be able to drive. Think of an SC 430 but a bit more sporty. When you get down to the root if it the new Z is not a True Roadster in the essence, it will never handle like the E85, E86 and certainly no where close to the Boxster. Remember that is suppose to be its purpose in the first place. The second point is if you opt for the 35i turbo it weighs 3,500 + pounds, that is more than 500lbs than the Z4 and close to 600lbs than the Porsche, these are not exactly the numbers you look for in a Roadster, its a heavy car and you know what that translate to, especially around the corners. Why pay 65k plus when you can get a used 2007-2008 SL 500 for about the same price? If you are going to opt FOR THAT KIND OF CONVERTIBLE, then a used SL 500 would be very close in price and definitely much more noticeable and luxurious. Just ask my uncle who bought an 06 SL500 for 55k! a 2 seat roadster should be light, extremely maneuverable, and very sporty. The new Z has non of those. I mean seriously, look at its rear from a straight line, does that look sporty to you, It looks very plain from that point of view. BTW, I agree with Fifth Gear but again it comes down to what you want. I would say if you are really dying for the new Z, wait a year or two and buy a used one, save money, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:04 AM   #3
Soki...
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux good View Post
not everyone want to race their Zed round a track....moron!! :finger:
Agree..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:12 AM   #4
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
dds, you say that the new Z4 is not a true sporty roadster, but you also say that you have a 2007 3.0i with auto transmission. Does a true sports car really have an automatic transmission, and I don't mean a DSG box with paddle shift?

The Boxster (S) can't really be compared directly with the new Z4. BMW will argue they have moved things on by introducing a folding hard top, and I personally prefer this to a soft top, having also owned the old Z4 back in 2004. BMW wanted to make the new Z4 appeal to a wider range of people, not simply make a "Boxster" clone. Some people prefer the new Z simply because things have changed and evolved.

The Fifth Gear "comparison" was carried out purely on a track. I don't own a track and my car will never actually be raced on one! I use the car daily on normal UK roads, and for me, how it handles and how easily it is to live with on a daily basis is more important than how entertaining a TV program actually is.
      07-24-2009, 03:24 AM   #5
Soki...
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
dds, you say that the new Z4 is not a true sporty roadster, but you also say that you have a 2007 3.0i with auto transmission. Does a true sports car really have an automatic transmission, and I don't mean a DSG box with paddle shift?

The Boxster (S) can't really be compared directly with the new Z4. BMW will argue they have moved things on by introducing a folding hard top, and I personally prefer this to a soft top, having also owned the old Z4 back in 2004. BMW wanted to make the new Z4 appeal to a wider range of people, not simply make a "Boxster" clone. Some people prefer the new Z simply because things have changed and evolved.

The Fifth Gear "comparison" was carried out purely on a track. I don't own a track and my car will never actually be raced on one! I use the car daily on normal UK roads, and for me, how it handles and how easily it is to live with on a daily basis is more important than how entertaining a TV program actually is.

+1
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:38 AM   #6
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds View Post
My friend let me brake the news for you, as an owner of a 2007 Z4 3.0i with beautiful silver gray/black combination with premium pkg. blue tooth, heated seats, auto trans, auto climate control etc. it does not make sense to get the new Z because its nomenclature has changed:

LOL, tell me one serious supercar with bluetooth (BTW: bluetooth is one word and not two), heated seats, AUTO TRANS ? You're saying new Z4 is not sporty enough, and at a same time you're driving Z4 with auto trans ? Do you know how much slower is car with auto trans compared to car with manual gearbox and how less control do you have ?

For others: Don't bother with dds... probably he is dreaming about new z4, thats reason why he is writing on E89 forum every day... If I don't care about some car, I don't chech and talk about it every day.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:39 AM   #7
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
My friend let me brake the news for you, as an owner of a 2007 Z4 3.0i with beautiful silver gray/black combination with premium pkg. blue tooth, heated seats, auto trans, auto climate control etc. it does not make sense to get the new Z because its nomenclature has changed: Its suspension with all 3 settings is mainly oriented toward comfort, cruiser, sporty behaved driving if you will, a combination that lets say my dad and mom would love without question its for those people who want the top down, look good and just be able to drive. Think of an SC 430 but a bit more sporty. When you get down to the root if it the new Z is not a True Roadster in the essence, it will never handle like the E85, E86 and certainly no where close to the Boxster. Remember that is suppose to be its purpose in the first place. The second point is if you opt for the 35i turbo it weighs 3,500 + pounds, that is more than 500lbs than the Z4 and close to 600lbs than the Porsche, these are not exactly the numbers you look for in a Roadster, its a heavy car and you know what that translate to, especially around the corners. Why pay 65k plus when you can get a used 2007-2008 SL 500 for about the same price? If you are going to opt FOR THAT KIND OF CONVERTIBLE, then a used SL 500 would be very close in price and definitely much more noticeable and luxurious. Just ask my uncle who bought an 06 SL500 for 55k! a 2 seat roadster should be light, extremely maneuverable, and very sporty. The new Z has non of those. I mean seriously, look at its rear from a straight line, does that look sporty to you, It looks very plain from that point of view. BTW, I agree with Fifth Gear but again it comes down to what you want. I would say if you are really dying for the new Z, wait a year or two and buy a used one, save money, good luck.
LOL. Feel better now that you got all that off your chest? Sounds to me like you can't afford a Z4, but in order to make yourself feel better about your situation, you knock the vehicle. But hey, what do I know. I don't even know what seat heaters are, right?

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 07-26-2009 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:43 AM   #8
KWY91
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 (on order), 458

Yes it does look damn sporty to me, none of that bangle-butt nonsense. New Z4 wins in terms of the looks department compared to the boxster, in my personal opinion! Handling? Well, haven't test driven one yet

Lamborghini's Mica Orange E93 M3
Akrapovic Exhaust //Challenge Rear CF diffuser//ESS VT-575 Supercharger
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:56 AM   #9
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudac63 View Post
hey guys, what do you think? whu buying z4 instead of boxster s?

in fifth gear they said boxster s much better than z4..

heres the link
It really comes down to what is important to you in a vehicle. For me the Boxster interior is one of the main reasons I did not consider it. It's too plain. The other main reason is the body style. Looks good, but it's been around for 10 + years now and getting a little stale. It might handle the track or slalom better than the Z, but I don't drive at 9/10th around a track or around cones, so that is not important to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:58 AM   #10
lux good
Banned
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i & Q5 2.0 TSFI

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 05:47 AM   #11
kudac63
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: e92

in australia 2008 SL500 still 180++ and i cant afford it.. lol..

z4 sdrive35 price is 135k and boxster s is 150k.. so its 15k different in price and that is a lot.

for me, i choose z4 because z4 is a hardtop convertible and the interior is quite nice compare to boxster s..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 06:57 AM   #12
Soki...
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakal View Post
LOL, tell me one serious supercar with bluetooth (BTW: bluetooth is one word and not two), heated seats, AUTO TRANS ? You're saying new Z4 is not sporty enough, and at a same time you're driving Z4 with auto trans ? Do you know how much slower is car with auto trans compared to car with manual gearbox and how less control do you have ?

For others: Don't bother with dds... probably he is dreaming about new z4, thats reason why he is writing on E89 forum every day... If I don't care about some car, I don't chech and talk about it every day.
Totallyyyyyyyyy agreeeeeee !!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 11:26 AM   #13
HK bimmer
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Convertible

Boxster is just the cheaper version of 911.
Z4 is the one in its own class - sheer beautiful!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #14
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

I looked hard at both cars before I purchased my new Z4 35i. I like the way they have cleaned up the look of the Boxster S for 2009. Torque was lacking in the Porsche, had to wind it out before the car would move. I am a golfer and golf clubs really aren't an option with the Boxster (special golf bag required). The Porsche with similar options was over 10K more. But the biggest thing for me was tuning options, not much available for the Boxster S. I am one tune away from eating 911's for breakfast. Just my opinion, by the car that YOU like.
2014 Audi RS5 (sold)
2012 Audi TT RS (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #15
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
It really comes down to what is important to you in a vehicle. For me the Boxster interior is one of the main reasons I did not consider it. It's too plain. The other main reason is the body style. Looks good, but it's been around for 10 + years now and getting a little stale. It might handle the track or slalom better than the Z, but I don't drive at 9/10th around a track or around cones, so that is not important to me.
Just spotted your pics here:

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showpost...0&postcount=11

... looks amazing

You must be quite a tall chap - the drivers seat looks as if its wedged as far back as it will go!
      07-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #16
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just spotted your pics here:

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showpost...0&postcount=11

... looks amazing

You must be quite a tall chap - the drivers seat looks as if its wedged as far back as it will go!
I am not tall. The seat is in the exit position. I use Memory setting #2 when I exit the car. Memory #1 is the driving position.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 07-24-2009 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #17
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I do drive my cars on track and want them to perform well. I also drive them on trips to mountain roads. I drive them on the interstate to vacations. I drive them to & from work. And I drive them on weekends for fun or errands. Out of 365 days in the year, the max the Z4 will be on track is probably 4. Why would I want to sacrifice styling, comfort, features, & utility the other 361 days of the year just so I could run laps 2 seconds faster?

PS: Anyone who explores the handling difference between the Z4 and Boxter, to each vehicles limits or beyond, should do that on the track, not a public road. That's not to say I won't enjoy pushing the Z4 on my favorite roads, but I know the sane/safe limits for the street and know not to go beyond that.

PPS: Since I've only had the new Z4 for a month and am just now getting used to the rear-axle seating position, I can't completely comment on its handling but I've tested it on my favorite on-ramp a lot. It handles quite well and the only flaw I see is an uneasiness on rough pavement, thanks to the harsh run-flats. It's possible I need to experiment with a softer suspension setting, yet seperately disable traction control. Note I never fully disable DSC on the street.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 02:34 AM   #18
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I never said anything about racing the Z on a track
Ofcourse not, you would be slower one because:

- car with auto gearbox is slower with upshifts, got earlier braking point, got less controll in corners.

- driver who is looking only on track performances and at a same time order car with auto gearbox, doesn't know a lot about racing.

So, I believe you that you don't race on track.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 07:10 AM   #19
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ofcourse not, you would be slower one because:

- car with auto gearbox is slower with upshifts, got earlier braking point, got less controll in corners.

- driver who is looking only on track performances and at a same time order car with auto gearbox, doesn't know a lot about racing.

So, I believe you that you don't race on track.
Although, on the other hand, todays automatics are quite impressive on track. Take BMW's own Sport Automatic with paddle shifters in the Z4 3.0 or my 550i. Impressively fast shifts, full manual control, automatic throttle blipping to synchronize RPMs, paddle shifting to keep both hands on the wheel, and no risk of blown shifts, up or down. I could downshift 5-4-3 with the paddles faster than I could row a manual.

The Z4 35i DCT is even better. I can't wait to get it on track.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #20
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Although, on the other hand, todays automatics are quite impressive on track. Take BMW's own Sport Automatic with paddle shifters in the Z4 3.0 or my 550i. Impressively fast shifts, full manual control, automatic throttle blipping to synchronize RPMs, paddle shifting to keep both hands on the wheel, and no risk of blown shifts, up or down. I could downshift 5-4-3 with the paddles faster than I could row a manual.
Experienced driver is faster with manual gearbox than driver with auto gearbox like Z4 30i or E85 got. I have automatic gearbox in limousine (or in SUV), but wouldn't have it in Z4.

Quote:

The Z4 35i DCT is even better. I can't wait to get it on track.
DCT is different story. Is much better than automatic gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #21
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
The weight is a consideration, but I' been comparing the suspension of the two cars, include M version, of the 1st gen z4 and e89 and they are virtually the same. I managed to find some wrecking yard photos of the 1st gen z4 and a guy on another bimmer forum posted a ton of photos of a e89, including the rear suspension. It looks like they carried everything over almost untouched.

The e89 M Sport shocks are different of course, but that's actually a plus to have the added versatility of change the ride when my wife is cruzin with me vs running around on my own using the Sport+ mode.

I'm suspecting that the e89 is going to be really popular and some serious mods will be coming out for it.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 07-25-2009 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 01:58 PM   #22
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Experienced driver is faster with manual gearbox than driver with auto gearbox like Z4 30i or E85 got. I have automatic gearbox in limousine (or in SUV), but wouldn't have it in Z4.

DCT is different story. Is much better than automatic gearbox.
Hans Stuck may be faster than an automatic, but few people are as skilled as he is. The Sport Automatic can shift in .2 seconds. How long is your foot on the clutch for a shift?
Here is the 550i with Sport Automatic on track at Virginia International Raceway: http://http://vimeo.com/2378171 The video is the whole session with the warmup and cool-down laps edited out. You can plainly see the ease of using the paddle shifters and hear the speed of the shifts. IIRC, there were 3 downshifts (turns 1, 11, and 15) and all upshifts were at redline (from 2-3-4-5 on the back straight). It was a cold track so I took it easy several laps. At the 6 minute mark, I pass a 911 and start to have fun. I let 3 faster cars pass a few laps later but stayed with them until the end of the section and a small slide on marbles.
Appreciate 0