New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-08-2009, 04:25 AM   #1
Jit_340i
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Glacier Silver F30 335i

Advice from Owners regarding color, steering feel.

I need some advice from e89 owners. I currently own an E92 325i and am looking at getting an E89 Z4 35i for my wife.

She likes Mojave/Havanna color. I'm afraid the beautiful lines of the car might get lost in this color. Is it not too dark.

How is the steering feel in normal mode. Is it soft and how does it compare to an E92 (with active steering). I will most probably drive it in Sport mode but my wife prefers something a little softer, and calmer. I'm praying this car has that direct bimmer feel that we all love. In my country there are no test drives available for this car so I want to be absolutely sure if I'm making the right decision. I drove a Porsche boxster and that had fantastic road feel, steering response. How does the Z4 compare? Thanks for the help people.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 07:31 AM   #2
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

I have looked at every color available on the E89s in person. Just my opinion from lots of looking, but the lighter colors show less of the car's lines. I would personally go with any of the darker colors, which start at space gray metallic, includes Mojave, and gets darker (the blue is VERY beautiful in person and we chose jet black b/c our last Z4 was black). White and Orion look good, but it hides the lines - and this car has a million curves to it. Mojave looks good in person and very few people will have it - we just chose a little more aggressive color, albeit common.

As for handling, I am a former Boxster owner. A Boxster S does have a little "better" road feel but that is a man's opinion - my wife hates the Boxster and would not own one because it has way too much road feel. So, the E89 is perfect for us and we ordered it with the Sports Package (M Adaptive Suspension) so that she can run in Normal mode and I can run in Sport and Sport+ mode. We pick it up in Munich on August 17.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
spairous
Enlisted Member
Greece
Rep
Drives: sdrive23

i totally diasagree about the color.. I believe that with lighter colors show the lines of the car..:/ However, I may say that because I bought it in white :P
I think that, especially at night, lighter colors are nicer :/ but that my opinion guys
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

hey - I love the white and titan silver, etc.; I think the car looks great in every color, probably because it is such a beautiful car - just have a preference for the darker colors
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
spairous
Enlisted Member
Greece
Rep
Drives: sdrive23

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
hey - I love the white and titan silver, etc.; I think the car looks great in every color, probably because it is such a beautiful car - just have a preference for the darker colors
+1 then :P
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #6
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Re steering feel;
I've not driven the Boxter so I can't compare to it. Plus its been years since I've driven an M Coupe (Z3 based). However I feel the new Z4 has good road feel without being too hard or twitchy and seems just about perfect for me. I did some playing with it on a recent trip. Whether hitting the surprising curves of the West Virginia Turnpike or the back road twisties, I could place the car right on the white lines and feel exactly what it was doing at all times.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

orion silver/kansas
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrajpaul View Post
I need some advice from e89 owners. I currently own an E92 325i and am looking at getting an E89 Z4 35i for my wife.

She likes Mojave/Havanna color. I'm afraid the beautiful lines of the car might get lost in this color. Is it not too dark.

How is the steering feel in normal mode. Is it soft and how does it compare to an E92 (with active steering). I will most probably drive it in Sport mode but my wife prefers something a little softer, and calmer. I'm praying this car has that direct bimmer feel that we all love. In my country there are no test drives available for this car so I want to be absolutely sure if I'm making the right decision. I drove a Porsche boxster and that had fantastic road feel, steering response. How does the Z4 compare? Thanks for the help people.
Normally my preference is white as in most cases, white manages to show a car's lines rather well and it's easy to take car of. In the case of of the Z4, which has a lot of concave and convex lines and surfaces, my feeling is the darker colors show it off better whereas a lot of that detail is lost with the lighter colors.

I've been considering Mojave or the Deep Sea Blue. My wife prefers the blue but I've been torn to go with the Mojave because there are going to be a lot of blue Z4's. Haven't been able to see the Mojave in metal so it's been tough.

However, the other day I saw a car (can't remember what it was) that had a deep brown metallic color similar to the Z4, and I've definitely decided against it. My sense is it will look dingy and dated in a heart beat.

The interior color options are limited with Mojave as well.
Appreciate 0