New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
Martyn335Ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i coupe Crimson Red

Buy crashed Z4 3,5i?

Hi iīm very happy owner od 335i "07, but i have my baby for almost 3 yrs now and want some change i have possibility to buy "09 Z4 for really nice prize, but she is little crashed, what do you guyz think? Donīt want to repair it in BMW if i buy this - can organize spare parts for decent prize.. Technically she seems ok, just oil cooler is ko, but engine runs fine, roof seems ok also..
I have this Z4 rented for one day and just love here just one more question - this "09 Z4 does have N54 or N55 engine?
Here are some pics of this damaged car..
http://www.miroslavpavlik.cz/cz/pouz...d-vozu=A203/10
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
For the $24,000 US it seams a good price. The problem is what will it cost you to repair from the pictures I see it may be in the range of $10,000 to $12,000.

The only way I would purchase this is to have a BMW dealer assess what other damage there might be also what the body work might cost you.

It is difficult to know what other hidden damage there might be that only shows it's ugly head once you drive it for a while.

It is a nice looking car, I wold definitely compare what is available near by in Germany where you are. A certified car from BMW is the better way.

You mentioned that you don't plan to repair it at a BMW dealership (if I read that right) did you check what this would do to the warranty that might be left on this car?

Being a 2009 it will have the N54 Engine (it is shown as a 335i (I think that is a typo and should read 35i) Best check on the engine with the seller.

Good luck!

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

+1 to Rolf's comments with a few other thoughts (and please close the roof, you're making me chilly).

It's really hard to tell from the photos how extensive the damage is and there may be hidden damage under the car/suspension.

It appears that you had both air bags deployed so that means you'll have at least one section of dash to replace plus the center piece of your steering wheel. Those two things are not major

It appears you have some minor frame damage on that front, passenger corner. It appears that you will have to replace the bonnet as well as the front bumper and maybe the front lower fender on the passenger side. More than likely you'll have some damage to the radiators, hoses, etc. The headlight housing is not there either - that's an expensive part.

Overall I'd say the damage is not that bad. The seams between the doors, fenders, and the top all seem to be pretty good. Depending on your skill or your friend's skill that will do the frame straightening, you could have a good car and avoid some major expense. But as Rolf says, make sure you or someone really experienced look it over and under, add up the parts and labor cost to make sure it's worth it.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 01-03-2011 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
I have rebuilt wrecks in the past and this one looks like a good prospect. Prior to buying get it on a frame rack and make sure everything is straight. If it is I would have no problem buying that unit. If there is chassis or heavy suspension damage I would not buy it. Also make sure the airbags have not been deployed. Those would add up to several thousand dollars to replace.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Silver-Bolt, the photos are hard to read but both his airbags were deployed. I feel comfortable with it but is your assessment still the same?
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 01-04-2011 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Really depends on the extent of the damage. I don't know BMW's pricing on airbags but I would expect the cost to be around $3k. What is a little scary is that to deploy both bags it takes a pretty good hit. Hitting one corner of the vehile typically tranfers the energy to the oposite corner. I would not touch it without putting it on a frame rack first. If it's not square I would walk away. Too much to go wrong with the top when you start doing a frame pull. I can't give a real evaluation without seeing it in person. I would want to be in the finished car for about 25% less than a non-wrecked like model. In the states a car like this with a tagged/branded title can be a nightmare to re-sell. Plan on driving it until the wheels fall off.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
One more thing to check, and I mean really, really check, is whether any air conditioning vents, hosing, traps, etc. have any cracks. If those are cracked, and you won't know it until you use the air conditioning, and leak, the pain in your ass will travel well beyond the price tag of the car. Mold, replacing carpeting, hoses, etc., etc. I know this from experience in a 335i that was wrecked and supposedly fixed.
Appreciate 0