New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #23
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
I am not 100% satisfied with the base stereo, but like most, do not regret not getting the upgraded audio. The majority of us consciously elected not to pay for what was considered to be an overpriced option, in our opinion. Personally, I found better things to do with $1900, so no regrets. If I had to do it all over again, I'd make the same decision.

So, it is a matter of choice for everyone.
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #24
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Shark View Post
Your car shifting is a little strange to me... From E93 335i to Z4 to an E93 M3...
Why did you go through the Z4 ??
I am moving from the E93 to the Z4... I am not sure if I will make the move again to an E93 M3...Emm...
When we lemoned my 335i, I needed a car

and at the time, the lease on an e93 M3 was $1200/ month

yeah not going to do that

My mom has wanted the Z4 since it came out.. but we were stuck with her SLK until next year when her lease finishes

I found a Z4 35i loaded with everything but prem sound and PDC (Sad.. and weird) but only for $650/month tax included, and all he wanted was the $548 BMW transfer fee.
I couldn't say no to $550 down, $650/month for a 63k car
Plus I'd only have it until my mom's SLK lease finished and then she would have the Z4

I was able to get positive equity trading her SLK into BMW as well as getting a 847/month lease on an e93 M3

Hence why I went from the Z4 to the M3 in a matter of about 2 months; the Z4 was never intended to be 'my' car, just a substitute.

The Z4 is a great car... but a 2 seater is too small for me.

When I'm older and have a family, I will most likely have the 2 seater hard top vert along side my family sedan; I just can't do it as my primary DD
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #25
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by why13 View Post
How is the wind management in the car with top down, windows up and the back net/glass installed? is it very drafty or serene like in the 650 convertible?
It depends on how high you like your seat. If you have it down low enough, there is minimal draft. It's my 1st convertible, so I have nothing else to compare it to, unfortunately.

Quote:
I am not 100% satisfied with the base stereo, but like most, do not regret not getting the upgraded audio. The majority of us consciously elected not to pay for what was considered to be an overpriced option, in our opinion. Personally, I found better things to do with $1900, so no regrets. If I had to do it all over again, I'd make the same decision.

So, it is a matter of choice for everyone.
I guess so, although just from what I read on this forum, some ppl regretted it. I elected to get it not because of the better stereo but because in Canada it's packaged with other stuff (i.e. 'Exec pkg'): what I really wanted was the wind deflector from that pkg, so the upgraded stereo just came along for the ride lol.

However, I can relate a little bit, re nav. I elected not getting it not because it was an added cost but it wasn't worth it for what one got, esp since the aftermarket portables are more powerful.

For our cars, it's not really about cost savings, as if we can't afford $1-2K more on a >$70K car.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #26
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

wind draft to me is unbearable with a wind deflector

with a wind deflector is was good
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #27
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
wind draft to me is unbearable with a wind deflector

with a wind deflector is was good
Yup, wind deflector makes a BIG diff...that's why I had to have it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #28
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
When we lemoned my 335i, I needed a car

and at the time, the lease on an e93 M3 was $1200/ month

yeah not going to do that

My mom has wanted the Z4 since it came out.. but we were stuck with her SLK until next year when her lease finishes

I found a Z4 35i loaded with everything but prem sound and PDC (Sad.. and weird) but only for $650/month tax included, and all he wanted was the $548 BMW transfer fee.
I couldn't say no to $550 down, $650/month for a 63k car
Plus I'd only have it until my mom's SLK lease finished and then she would have the Z4

I was able to get positive equity trading her SLK into BMW as well as getting a 847/month lease on an e93 M3

Hence why I went from the Z4 to the M3 in a matter of about 2 months; the Z4 was never intended to be 'my' car, just a substitute.

The Z4 is a great car... but a 2 seater is too small for me.

When I'm older and have a family, I will most likely have the 2 seater hard top vert along side my family sedan; I just can't do it as my primary DD
Makes all the sense to me now ;-) Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #29
Drjoeb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I have a 2011 35i
1) Can the paddles be changed to behave like in m3, left for downshift and right for downshift?
Not sure, but you do get used to them pretty quick.

2) Hifi audio worth it?
I have a regular stereo. It's ok better would have been nice, but if I was to do it again yes I'd get the upgrade.

3) Ride on 19" wheels in Sport
One of the First things I noticed was the harsh ride. Getting rid of the RFT soon as the sun comes back.

4) White exterior with red interior vs space grey and red interior
Hmm too light for me. Might look great day one but hoes it going to wear. I wouldn't doubt that the dies from clothes will eventually make their way into the leather. Happened to me with light tan leather. Now I always do black leather.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #30
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjoeb View Post
4) White exterior with red interior vs space grey and red interior
Hmm too light for me. Might look great day one but hoes it going to wear. I wouldn't doubt that the dies from clothes will eventually make their way into the leather. Happened to me with light tan leather. Now I always do black leather.
There is absolutely no color transfer between the coral red interior and my clothes.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 01:01 AM   #31
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Drjoeb, There are a lot of products in the market nowadays that will protect your Kanzas leather from color fastening/UV/even dust free, etc...
That shouldn't be a reason for not buying a lighter color...
I had the Ivory Napa on my E93, 3 years later sold the car, you won't tell that the seats were 3 yrs old.. And I've got a ((Monster)) kid of 2 yrs...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 01:12 AM   #32
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
There is absolutely no color transfer between the coral red interior and my clothes.
And even if there were, there's a solution for that too

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #33
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
I guess so, although just from what I read on this forum, some ppl regretted it. I elected to get it not because of the better stereo but because in Canada it's packaged with other stuff..

However, I can relate a little bit, re nav. I elected not getting it not because it was an added cost but it wasn't worth it for what one got, esp since the aftermarket portables are more powerful.

For our cars, it's not really about cost savings, as if we can't afford $1-2K more on a >$70K car.
Correct, it is an individuals own decision on just about every option/package. One needs to decide if it is worth the money or it it is a good enough "value".

My point was to let the OP know not to base his decision on whether to get the Upgraded Audio on how many people did/did not regret getting it. It should be based on his own perceived value.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #34
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Correct, it is an individuals own decision on just about every option/package. One needs to decide if it is worth the money or it it is a good enough "value".

My point was to let the OP know not to base his decision on whether to get the Upgraded Audio on how many people did/did not regret getting it. It should be based on his own perceived value.
Sure, s/he can do whatever s/he wants but of course s/he's asking for other ppl's opinion and there does seem to be quite a few ppl giving opinions on the std stereo. Best thing OP can do now is try both the std and premium stereos and decide for her/himself, since s/he obviously thinks this topic merits discussion and lots of ppl have opined on same.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #35
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Sure, s/he can do whatever s/he wants but of course s/he's asking for other ppl's opinion and there does seem to be quite a few ppl giving opinions on the std stereo. Best thing OP can do now is try both the std and premium stereos and decide for her/himself, since s/he obviously thinks this topic merits discussion and lots of ppl have opined on same.
Correct, it is a well talked about subject, some of us have given less than stellar opinions on the standard audio. My initial comment was only to add that there are very few if any of us that have actually "regretted" not getting the upgraded audio, since the alternative was to pay more than what we believed the upgraded audio was worth. The idea being simply to alert the OP not to conclude that this is a "get it or regret it" type of upgrade.

Yes. Everyone ought to compare the 2, look at the pricing and decide for themselves.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 12-21-2010 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #36
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Correct, it is a well talked about subject, some of us have given less than stellar opinions on the standard audio. My initial comment was only to add that there are very few if any of us that have actually "regretted" not getting the upgraded audio, since the alternative was to pay more than what we believed the upgraded audio was worth. The idea being simply to alert the OP not to conclude that this is a "get it or regret it" type of upgrade.

Yes. Everyone ought to compare the 2, look at the pricing and decide for themselves.
Agreed, OP has enough info on this topic to decide by now. Peace.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #37
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

yes, the Premium Audio upgrade costs too much but I willingly ordered it because I love loud music while driving fast with the top down AND if you do not go with the overpriced factory upgrade then it is very difficult to upgrade later (plus, it must cost a bunch for a quality aftermarket install); that is my logic on this issue in short, be that as it may
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #38
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
yes, the Premium Audio upgrade costs too much but I willingly ordered it because I love loud music while driving fast with the top down AND if you do not go with the overpriced factory upgrade then it is very difficult to upgrade later (plus, it must cost a bunch for a quality aftermarket install); that is my logic on this issue in short, be that as it may
My reasoning exactly. Over priced but needed one way or another.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #39
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Maybe an off topic question, but still related to sound system...
If you have an iDrive installed, can you still use an aftermarket radio unit??
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #40
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Shark View Post
Maybe an off topic question, but still related to sound system...
If you have an iDrive installed, can you still use an aftermarket radio unit??
I've talked with a guy with username Patrys from Poland but works with 3 series/M3 forum folks doing factory equipment retrofits and knows these systems very well. I've asked him to drop by and give us the 411 on what he does for people that are either trying to install a factory system or interface with a factory head unit with aftermarket gear.

Hopefully he'll drop by in the next day or two.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #41
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
I've talked with a guy with username Patrys from Poland but works with 3 series/M3 forum folks doing factory equipment retrofits and knows these systems very well. I've asked him to drop by and give us the 411 on what he does for people that are either trying to install a factory system or interface with a factory head unit with aftermarket gear.

Hopefully he'll drop by in the next day or two.
Great teagueAMX, keep us in the loop, plz...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #42
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

asking a guy from Poland (I am of Polish descent) how to modify the stereo highlights the need to just suck it up and order the overpriced Premium Audio
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #43
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

+1

Three factors working against doing a great aftermarket gear install. Space in a two seat sports car is very sparse, BMWs head unit and iDrive. The bitch is that BMW components (electronics, speakers, amps, etc) are cheaply made and the same ballpark as GM puts out.

Has anybody ever gotten a quote from a dealer to do a Professional system with Nav install. I imagine it's really expensive.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #44
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

OT>
Whatever happened to Blaupunkt in its dealings w/ BMW? Many years ago they used to proudly display their name on stereos in BMW cars, now it's just "BMW Professional" or whatever. I assume that BMW stereos are still made by that company? How come they supposed lost their 'prestige' and no longer put their name on the stereo?
Appreciate 0