New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
clo1_2000
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 Z4 28i

Garage List
2013 BMW Z4 28i  [0.00]
Couple of Questions on my 2013 Z4

• I can't get the garage to pair with my car. My wife's new car followed the same process and had no problems. Any suggestions?
  • I have to manually keep shutting off the "Auto Start/Stop" feature. Any way to disable this by default?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
BuckarooVT90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Z4 sDrive35i DCT

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
so pushing the LEARN button on the garage door opener motor assembly doesn't 'pair' it?

glad I don't have that auto start/stop function... can't help you with that... its not in the setup menu somewhere? via the BC controls on the turn signal stalk?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clo1_2000 View Post
  • I can't get the garage to pair with my car. My wife's new car followed the same process and had no problems. Any suggestions?
  • I have to manually keep shutting off the "Auto Start/Stop" feature. Any way to disable this by default?
If you can't figure it out, call your garage door manufacturer and they'll walk you through it.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

I just performed the garage pairing on a few cars and it seemed to go smoothly after the first one.

If I recall the car has to be on for the whole process (maybe not the engine, but I think mine was on each time).

Step 1.
Clear anything that it has currently by holding the 1st and 3rd buttons on the rear-view mirror until the light on it blinks quickly.

Step 2.
Bring the wireless transmitter / door opener into the car. Press and hold the button on the mirror that you want to program. While holding that button in, press and hold the opener button on the transmitter until the light on the mirror starts blinking, then release all buttons.

Step 3.
With the car still on from performing Step 2, press the learn button on the garage door opener (the actual machine mounted to the ceiling). Don't hold it in, just tap it. Regardless of what its called, its going to be the most dominant button on the device (bright red on some). After you've tapped that button, run out into the car and press & hold the same button that you programmed earlier for the remote transmitter until you see the light on the mirror blink like it did earlier.

You should now be done. For the car to open the garage door, the car's ignition has to be on and you have to hold the button on the mirror for a couple seconds.

Step 3 is necessary for the "some garage door openers require additional configuration reference in the manual. I haven't seen a garage door opener in the US that didn't need this... and the language in the manual isn't exactly clear.

Its the remote clicker first, then the actual opener, both for the same button on the mirror (same process).
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
clo1_2000
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 Z4 28i

Garage List
2013 BMW Z4 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckarooVT90 View Post
so pushing the LEARN button on the garage door opener motor assembly doesn't 'pair' it?

glad I don't have that auto start/stop function... can't help you with that... its not in the setup menu somewhere? via the BC controls on the turn signal stalk?
So this was the second step I was missing. All fixed.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Obviously not the problem here, but I had a ton of trouble pairing my 335i because the manual said to have the garage door opener about 12-16 inches away from the rear view mirror, which did not work. Thanks to a lot of forum browsing, I found out I had to literally put the transmitter right up against the rear view mirror. So when I programmed the Z4, I did exactly that and it worked the first time.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigglebox View Post
I just performed the garage pairing on a few cars and it seemed to go smoothly after the first one.

If I recall the car has to be on for the whole process (maybe not the engine, but I think mine was on each time).

Step 1.
Clear anything that it has currently by holding the 1st and 3rd buttons on the rear-view mirror until the light on it blinks quickly.

Step 2.
Bring the wireless transmitter / door opener into the car. Press and hold the button on the mirror that you want to program. While holding that button in, press and hold the opener button on the transmitter until the light on the mirror starts blinking, then release all buttons.

Step 3.
With the car still on from performing Step 2, press the learn button on the garage door opener (the actual machine mounted to the ceiling). Don't hold it in, just tap it. Regardless of what its called, its going to be the most dominant button on the device (bright red on some). After you've tapped that button, run out into the car and press & hold the same button that you programmed earlier for the remote transmitter until you see the light on the mirror blink like it did earlier.

You should now be done. For the car to open the garage door, the car's ignition has to be on and you have to hold the button on the mirror for a couple seconds.

Step 3 is necessary for the "some garage door openers require additional configuration reference in the manual. I haven't seen a garage door opener in the US that didn't need this... and the language in the manual isn't exactly clear.

Its the remote clicker first, then the actual opener, both for the same button on the mirror (same process).
Thank you, these simple instructions were a big help.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #8
GentleWen
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 35i

which model has auto start/stop? 28i? 35is?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #9
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleWen View Post
which model has auto start/stop? 28i? 35is?
Only the 20i (which is not available in the US) and the 28i.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clo1_2000 View Post
I have to manually keep shutting off the "Auto Start/Stop" feature. Any way to disable this by default?
I think there is a code push that the dealer can do to disable this feature. Check with your service advisor.
Appreciate 0