New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
2gumby
not so pokey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i, Orion Silver

Wheel Alignment Recommendations around DFW (Dallas/Ft Worth)?

I have read some cautionary messages on the web about the "bargain" alignment shop, in that they may not adjust much more than toe-in/out!
Also, I've read warnings that the newer cars have more complicated suspension computerization parameters (Sport-Mode, anyone?) that need to be considered when doing an alignment.

Any truth here? Or just scare tactics?

Anyway, I couldn't find specific info here about BMW wheel alignment do's and don'ts, nor in the way of recommended shops.

So, who do you use?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gumby View Post
I have read some cautionary messages on the web about the "bargain" alignment shop, in that they may not adjust much more than toe-in/out!
Also, I've read warnings that the newer cars have more complicated suspension computerization parameters (Sport-Mode, anyone?) that need to be considered when doing an alignment.

Any truth here? Or just scare tactics?

Anyway, I couldn't find specific info here about BMW wheel alignment do's and don'ts, nor in the way of recommended shops.

So, who do you use?
On the west coast, Hunter alignment machines are in almost every shop and they really are the best. Not sure about the Dallas area, but would assume they got them everywhere as well.

My advice is to look for a shop that does a lot of alignments so they'll spend the money for the latest equipment along with the software updates. Fortunately, the Z4 has been out for a while so they all have the specs loaded up. Also, they should have a full time alignment tek that is fully trained on the machine.

Click the link below for the Hunter web site that has some useful info. Some of the info is geared towards mechanics, but at least you'll have idea of what you're looking for.

Hunter KDS II

I've also included a Youtube video that should address your concerns regarding the computerization that may be helpful for you are well. At the end of the vid there's a bit of a sales pitch but ignore that piece. The info is very important because BMW's power steering is electrically assisted, and one of the factors that controls the amount of assist is the steering wheel position.

Hunter Code Link <-- Hunter web page link

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 12-05-2011 at 04:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
2gumby
not so pokey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i, Orion Silver

Thanks, teague!
Good info on the steering angle sensor. I'll inquire about that.

I think the Hunter machines are pretty popular everywhere.
Appreciate 0