New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-26-2017, 12:10 AM   #1
bsinsan
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 Alpine White

Replacing stock head unit with aftermarket one

Got a quick question, I want to get a Pioneer head unit for my car, and have been told from local shop that the parking sensor beeping sound will be gone after I change the head unit. Is there any workaround for that so that I could keep the parking sensor beeping sound after install?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Good luck with that, you will one of a very select few doing that. Probably won't get too much feedback.

Can I ask why? If you want more power - amp upgrades are available. These cars just are too integrated to do much of anything to the headunits.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 10:43 PM   #3
bsinsan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher View Post
Good luck with that, you will one of a very select few doing that. Probably won't get too much feedback.

Can I ask why? If you want more power - amp upgrades are available. These cars just are too integrated to do much of anything to the headunits.
My car didn't come with navigation, and I want to get the new one with CarPlay. Now the most concern is the parking sensor I might need to let go of. Been researching and found about Connects2, but heard that if I have a stock amp that interface won't work as well
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 10:04 AM   #4
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

I had heard that it's an option to install the stock head unit in the glove box or trunk to keep the functions that controls and install the aftermarket head unit in the dash wired to the speakers only. It's a science project but I think it's the only way to keep all the functions. This is one of the reasons I never upgraded mine. I hate the stock head unit. POS...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Re-thinking this - may wan to search for the guys who have installed tablets as a upgrade. At least someone else had done the legwork and can be used for reference
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

I'd be curious to see what solution you might find. You might consider finding a local, high-end car audio shop and seeing what they have to say.

I'm not a fan of swapping factory head units on the BMW's. I just find everything else looks wrong in the car. Secondly, most aftermarket stereos are an exercise is poor user interface design. About the only aftermarket systems I've seen that looked good in a BMW were Nachamichi (old school, not the resurrected made-in-china brand), and of course Blaupunkt.

That said, I've had reasonably good success with my non-Nav car with a WMA-1000 unit. These are not easy to find these days. I had to order it from someone in Europe. But at least that gives me bluetooth connectivity. coupled with a A/C vent mount for my phone (Pictek), this combination has given me convenient access and user interface of my phone, with connectivity to my car audio.

With the E89 Z4, you want the extended phone magnet mount like the PIctek. Regular short mounts do not work well with our dash.

Not sure if any of this helps as alternative considerations, but let us know what you end up doing!

Filippo

08-03-2017, 10:24 AM   #7
bsinsan
Rep

Hello all,

Last week I went to one of a local audio shops and get advise. According to the shop owner, if I'm going to change the head unit, I will also need to buy a new amp, interface for keeping parking sensor sound, and labour which costs me about $800 in addition to the head unit. That's way too much for me so I have given up and bought the belkin aircast instead lol. I've bought the fascia already and now it became useless. Oh well....
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #8
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

How is the belkin aircast working?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 09:34 PM   #9
bsinsan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosd View Post
How is the belkin aircast working?
It was not bad imo, only that I need to pair it every time
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 10:08 PM   #10
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

The WMA1000 won't give you that headache.

Filippo