New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
daveI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Who is putting in their order for the Z4 and who has their spot already?

I was about 90% sold on the car when I saw yesterday's picture, now after seeing the back end of this car i'm about 110% sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone tried getting a spot with their dealer to buy the car? I've seen posts about people doing this stuff for the M3 and other cars in the past, but i've never been the one to do it, but i'm excitied. I'm going to take a trip down to my dealership tommorow morning and i'll keep you guys updated
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
kplsoleil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 eventually...

I might drop by just to see if my contacts down at the dealer know anything more about the car and care to share You think they'd be taking deposits this early already? I'm sure you'd be like one of the first in the country if you did !
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
and sure to pay more for it than anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

I think it would be safer to get it a couple months after release....$7k safer..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
I dropped in to see my dealer at lunchtime. They knew nothing about, claiming that BMW UK don't tell them until the last minute. I pointed the salesperson to the various websites to let him see some pictures, and he actually printed them out! The way the car industry is going in the UK, it doesn't surprise me that there is not a huge amount of interest at present. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have any sort of waiting list at all.
      12-12-2008, 04:28 AM   #6
marcus1701
up all night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3.0si, alpine white, auto, nav

why put in an order when you don't even know what it looks like yet? I admit though that a lot looks promising.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
kplsoleil
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus1701 View Post
why put in an order when you don't even know what it looks like yet? I admit though that a lot looks promising.
We do now!
Anyone actually drop by dealer to speak to someone about getting on a list for the car? Wonder how many dealers actually have anyone on the waiting list already.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 05:41 AM   #8
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155MPH View Post
and sure to pay more for it than anyone else.
Too true. I know people that pre-ordered new BMW's before the official release date and they always ended up paying top $.

More money than sense.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
daveI
Private
United_States
Rep

Just a quick update!!! I went to the dealer and they accepted my downpayment. The salesperson basicly took a check for $500 from me and made a list for the Z4 and it looks like i'm number one. When the ordering materials come in he will contact me and then we can actually go through the options, etc.. to get the car right and put the order through. I also had him agree that I would not pay any premium above the MSRP of the car just to get the car early.

Things are looking GO on a new Z4. Now what color?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 09:40 PM   #10
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveI View Post
I also had him agree that I would not pay any premium above the MSRP of the car just to get the car early.
And what is the MSRP?

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 01:09 AM   #11
lambda
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Just a quick update!!! I went to the dealer and they accepted my downpayment. The salesperson basicly took a check for $500 from me and made a list for the Z4 and it looks like i'm number one. When the ordering materials come in he will contact me and then we can actually go through the options, etc.. to get the car right and put the order through. I also had him agree that I would not pay any premium above the MSRP of the car just to get the car early.

Did they say when the ordering materials would be available?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 07:38 AM   #12
Merefield
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
How very kind of him!! LOL I don't wish to dent your enthusiasm but the cars that sell at MSRP in 2009 will be the very small minority. There is no reason why in this economic climate you shouldn't be aiming for significant discounts. Unless money is no object to you you should not let them dictate to you what you should pay! As one of his few customers next year he should be keen to demonstrate his gratitude!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 08:39 AM   #13
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Smile

I phoned up my local dealer in the UK and it's similar to that in the US. £500 deposit to get added to the preorder list and then, once they are about to start manufacturing (I was told sometime in Feb '09) they'll give me a call so that I can go in, decide on my options (spec, colour, etc.) and put down another £500.

I put down the £500 and should be getting my car on the day of release. Sweet!

JJ.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #14
kplsoleil
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Wonderboy View Post
I phoned up my local dealer in the UK and it's similar to that in the US. £500 deposit to get added to the preorder list and then, once they are about to start manufacturing (I was told sometime in Feb '09) they'll give me a call so that I can go in, decide on my options (spec, colour, etc.) and put down another £500.

JJ.
Congrats to you both!! You are the first ones here who have deposits and are down on a list. I'll be monitoring pricing info and may do it too at the right time HOpefully join you guys soon.

Looks like we're gonna have some very early owners on here !
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #15
rawedge2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 STI - 08 M3

went through all that with the m3... i was on the list before any talk of pricing.. i was even allocating options without final prices.. seemed odd but its how they did it..

(i ended up gettin screwed a lil too as i ordered premium sound not expecting the $1900, + i would have been bumped down the list if i chose to change when i did find out) but i do enjoy it now..
      12-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #16
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Wonderboy View Post

JJ.
I was told it would be around March before we get the exact specs, options and finalised prices in the UK. I haven't put a deposit down as I can't see there being a huge waiting list with the way the UK economy is going! They know I'm looking for one ASAP, and roughly know the spec I'm after, but until we get to the stage of actually ordering the car through the online system, they won't see a penny from me! I've only ever put down £500 deposit when placing the order on any other BMW. One thing for sure, it WILL be Deep Sea Blue

Last edited by Z4 Beemer; 12-18-2008 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: Its been a long hard day, and I made a wee typo.. ok? ;-)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #17
daveI
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merefield View Post
How very kind of him!! LOL I don't wish to dent your enthusiasm but the cars that sell at MSRP in 2009 will be the very small minority. There is no reason why in this economic climate you shouldn't be aiming for significant discounts. Unless money is no object to you you should not let them dictate to you what you should pay! As one of his few customers next year he should be keen to demonstrate his gratitude!
Although I would certainly love to believe that I don't think the Z4 was ever intended to be a high volume car (good economy or bad) so I have a feeling BMWs built in margins are tight as they are and the car would still be selling at near MSRP prices regardless of the economy. Either way, we didnt settle on a price for a car, only on the fact that I will not be paying anything above MSRP as people do for M3s, etc.. when they first come out
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 06:53 AM   #18
Merefield
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Although I would certainly love to believe that I don't think the Z4 was ever intended to be a high volume car (good economy or bad) so I have a feeling BMWs built in margins are tight as they are and the car would still be selling at near MSRP prices regardless of the economy. Either way, we didnt settle on a price for a car, only on the fact that I will not be paying anything above MSRP as people do for M3s, etc.. when they first come out
The margins on premium vehicles are always high.

Also, look at residuals to compare the prices manufacturers recommend and the "real" value in the market - needless to say the latter is much lower which is one of the reasons why second hand car values drop like stones.

You think there is significant wear on a year old car with only 4k on the clock? No way is this the major reason why the price has dropped. The major reason is the real value of the car is reflected in the free market price which is much less within the control of the car manufacturer or the dealer (but of course they can influence this in a good market by restricting supply - a CLASSIC tactic used by Porsche, for example)

The manufacturer does its best to hype up the car with marketing to make you perceive a certain value, but in the end of the day, on the secondary market, reality bites.

If one buys at MSRP one is very foolish, imho.

Your room for negotiation is very much larger than usual.

And if the dealer needs to re-negotiate the cost to him from BMW as part of this whole supply chain so be it! We live in a free market economy.

Its only rational for a business to sell its products at the highest value a market, indeed an individual buyer will bear. The thing is that the market will not bear anything like the prices it could two years ago. Factor this into your negotiation and if you care about getting value for money, make sure you are not taken in by the marketing and the psychological tricks the sales people play.

In other words, treat it like a business transaction and play HARDBALL is my advice. Then you can save more to put towards a Z4 mk3 when this one's replaced
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #19
maranello1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merefield View Post
The margins on premium vehicles are always high.

Also, look at residuals to compare the prices manufacturers recommend and the "real" value in the market - needless to say the latter is much lower which is one of the reasons why second hand car values drop like stones.

You think there is significant wear on a year old car with only 4k on the clock? No way is this the major reason why the price has dropped. The major reason is the real value of the car is reflected in the free market price which is much less within the control of the car manufacturer or the dealer (but of course they can influence this in a good market by restricting supply - a CLASSIC tactic used by Porsche, for example)

The manufacturer does its best to hype up the car with marketing to make you perceive a certain value, but in the end of the day, on the secondary market, reality bites.

If one buys at MSRP one is very foolish, imho.

Your room for negotiation is very much larger than usual.

And if the dealer needs to re-negotiate the cost to him from BMW as part of this whole supply chain so be it! We live in a free market economy.

Its only rational for a business to sell its products at the highest value a market, indeed an individual buyer will bear. The thing is that the market will not bear anything like the prices it could two years ago. Factor this into your negotiation and if you care about getting value for money, make sure you are not taken in by the marketing and the psychological tricks the sales people play.

In other words, treat it like a business transaction and play HARDBALL is my advice. Then you can save more to put towards a Z4 mk3 when this one's replaced
Well said.

I had NEVER paid list price for any of the 15 or so vehicles I've owned, but foolishly decided, when the '08 M3 hit the shores, to pay list for one. I ended up selling it in October with only 4k miles on it in BRAND NEW CONDITION, and at the same time, lost $14k (with taxes) in 7 months. Obviously, the depreciation hit is always the worst if you sell your car with a year of purchase, but that was HORRENDOUS. Especially since I sold the car PRIVATELY and not to the dealer. If I had traded it, I would have lost another $6k. (dealer offered me $50k on a vehicle I had paid $66k for).

Understand that no matter what you buy, you will always lose money. But to minimize your loss, DON'T EVER PAY LIST! I believe the power of the internet has severely impacted dealers opportunity to charge exhorbitant premiums, except to the most foolish people who have their minds set on a car at any price or to those for whom money is not an object. For me, even if I was a multi-billionaire, I wouldn't throw money away just to be the first one on the block to own something that soon every Tom, Dick, and Harry will.

Be patient. Impulisivity is only good for dealers. I'm sure BMW will overproduce them just the way they have with every other Z car.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 11:23 PM   #20
daveI
Private
United_States
Rep

Alot of what you guys say is true, but in the end a $1000 (what most people get below list price when they do bargaining/haggling) difference for a car that will cost $45-50k isnt that big a difference to me. The money i'd save off MSRP by waiting and haggling after a few months would amount to 1-2% difference comapred to the total price of the car. That 1-2% is worth it to me to have my car the way I want it and when I want it instead of having to wait until the end of the summer to get the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #21
kronzprinz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

you get on a list for exotics like the SL black or a limited edition pagani, not a Z4... it's like the Sears commerical where the guy is sleeping outside to get in early at the "no payments for 12 months" sale.... the offer is always running... duhhh!!!!
Appreciate 0