New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #45
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtn View Post
Hey Roman, so what's the answer to the question? How is HP and TQ altered by pumping 91. You said that you mapped Stage 2 to run safely on 91 but the fuel requirement used to be published at 93, is this an altered map to the old Stage 2 map or did you just realize that it is safe to run 91 on it? Otherwise, if I already have Stage 2 on my DirectFlash, do I need the 'new' Stage 2 map to run 91 on it, or is my existing map fine?

Also, how is fuel efficiency affected by the remaps? What is MPG for the respective maps? This is also information I hoped would be published.
Stage 2 has always been safe to run on 91 it just makes less power than on 93. We have updated the website to include 91 as an option for stage 2. 93 octane will add about 10-15 whp on both stage 1 and stage 2 when used. MPG will vary depending on driving style but under normal conditions tuned and stock should be very similar.

Due to the cost of the Directflash hardware there will not be any GB or discounts anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #46
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Is there a trial period with this flash?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #47
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
Is there a trial period with this flash?
There is no trial period with Directflash as it VIN locks to the vehicle once it is used. The unit would need to be reset / relicensed if returned which has a cost associated. Everyone "including myself" who has run this software has been very happy so im sure your expierence would be the same
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #48
ridin135
Colonel
Rep

So the vin lock doesn't come off even when you flash the stock map back on? So you would be stuck with this tuner if you got rid of the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #49
Auraraptor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Exx

Do you guys also do Mercedes v12 turbos? It would be great to have a flash/reflashable solution for SL600 and 65s.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 06:06 AM   #50
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
Quote:
So the vin lock doesn't come off even when you flash the stock map back on? So you would be stuck with this tuner if you got rid of the car?
+1 would like to know, if i need to flash 2 of my cars i have to buy 2 units?!?

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #51
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

The Directflash is VIN locked onced used so you will need a second unit to program a second car.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #52
ridin135
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
The Directflash is VIN locked onced used so you will need a second unit to program a second car.
Sorry to hear this is defiantly a deal breaker for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #53
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
it does suck, but for the company to have it open would mean selling much less units, one member here buys one and then shares with everyone....there goes the business

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #54
ridin135
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheHbKa View Post
it does suck, but for the company to have it open would mean selling much less units, one member here buys one and then shares with everyone....there goes the business
It could just be like all the other handheld tuners out there for other cars where it is vin locked until you flash it back to stock. Then you are free to transfer it to a new car you purchased or sell it to a fellow forum member.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #55
KCSchoey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z435i

Quote:
It could just be like all the other handheld tuners out there for other cars where it is vin locked until you flash it back to stock. Then you are free to transfer it to a new car you purchased or sell it to a fellow forum member.
It doesn't work like that? Find it hard to spend almost $1000 on something I'm going to use for two years and then not be able to sell to another member. If it's vin locked to one vehicle and one vehicle only even if the flash is no longer on that vehicle, this could be a deal breaker for me as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #56
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

It's really no different than it has been for many years. When you have someone reflash the ECU on your vehicle you can’t resell the software when you get rid of the car. There is really no value in reselling a Directflash unit as the person buying it would still need to buy the software which is the majority of the cost. Also warranty and support is only valid for the original owner of the software. I doubt many vendor would offer lifetime support for a product that is being passed around from one customer to the next. If a Directflash customer buys a new vehicle they can send in their old unit in exchange for credit towards a new version. We did not design our hardware functions and abilities around the resell and second hand market, we designed it to be ideal for the original owner and to provide a level of security for our hard work.

Directflash is unique in that it allows you to read and send your stock software to us which is critical to ensure every vehicle gets tuned properly. Other systems simply are map switchers, signal manipulators or flash loaders so you cannot really compare them to each other as they work very differently except for the fact that they are all DIY devices. From what I have seen no other software option for the N54 has the same level of all around performance as ours offers. This should really be what you focus on and not how much you can resell the device for when you are done with it in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #57
ridin135
Colonel
Rep

I would rather not have a 1000 dollar brick sitting in my garage after I get my car. All other flash devices I have ever used on all my other cars are locked until you reflash back to stock then you are able to get rid of the device and not be stuck with it. If you didn't have competition in this market you could get away with it but there are far to many options to be stuck with one. I will take my business to Cobb.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #58
STOOF
Sunburned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F83 M4 Convertible 6MT

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
I would rather not have a 1000 dollar brick sitting in my garage after I get my car. All other flash devices I have ever used on all my other cars are locked until you reflash back to stock then you are able to get rid of the device and not be stuck with it. If you didn't have competition in this market you could get away with it but there are far to many options to be stuck with one. I will take my business to Cobb.
Thats why i got a JB4!!

Installs VERY easy on the Z4. Took me maybe 15mins tops.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #59
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
Quote:
this would be a good idea, or maybe license based, u pay for 2 car flash which is less then buying 2 units

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #60
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
It's really no different than it has been for many years. When you have someone reflash the ECU on your vehicle you can’t resell the software when you get rid of the car. There is really no value in reselling a Directflash unit as the person buying it would still need to buy the software which is the majority of the cost. Also warranty and support is only valid for the original owner of the software. I doubt many vendor would offer lifetime support for a product that is being passed around from one customer to the next. If a Directflash customer buys a new vehicle they can send in their old unit in exchange for credit towards a new version. We did not design our hardware functions and abilities around the resell and second hand market, we designed it to be ideal for the original owner and to provide a level of security for our hard work.

Directflash is unique in that it allows you to read and send your stock software to us which is critical to ensure every vehicle gets tuned properly. Other systems simply are map switchers, signal manipulators or flash loaders so you cannot really compare them to each other as they work very differently except for the fact that they are all DIY devices. From what I have seen no other software option for the N54 has the same level of all around performance as ours offers. This should really be what you focus on and not how much you can resell the device for when you are done with it in my opinion.
agreed, but if i want to flash to cars that i own and original owner why would i need to buy 2 devices? some people have 3 cars with N54 (lets say z4, 3series and an x6...for example) so they need to spend 3k and have 3 devices, wouldn't it make more sense to have one device support multiple ecu's through some sort of engineering control? as i mentioned earlier, a license based software that will flash as many ecu's as the licenses that it has?.....just a thought

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #61
[DT]
United_States
Rep
Drives: (Shopping) Z4s

FWIW, in the LSX market, the HPTuners system works with credits, so you can buy multiple VINs (so to speak), and they're less than the initial cost that includes the hardware.

This does a couple of things: discounts for multiple cars and simpler ownership model (it's only one piece of hardware, one device to keep updated, use, etc.) It does introduce the potential for a single hardware buyer, using it on cars they don't own via credits, *but* I'd think most buyers would opt to actually own the device and have it in hand (for the difference of owning vs. just a credit).

I don't think having to return it to have it "reset" for use on another car is a really a big deal (I did that with another LSX tuning device, it was $75 including return shipping), but it depends on the cost. While there is _some_ overhead to receive it, run some diags, reflash it to "new", and repackage and ship, I would think that would be a reasonable fee of not more than 15-20% the original cost of the product.

Just my $0.02.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #62
shashi27
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 Z4 35is

Pulled the trigger, mine is in the mail. I had a JB4 on her so it will be nice to see how the ESS compares. I have nothing but good things to say about the JB4 as it changed the car from fast to a beast. My car threw some strange codes with the JB4 on but not with it off, though Terry thought it might be a bad HPFP; 29F1 Fuel pressure, plausibility, 29F4 Catalytic converter conversion, 29F5 Catalytic converter conversion 2, 2FBE Fuel pressure after motor stop. Will have BMW look her over before I flash the car for good measure. Maybe the code are only being thrown as a result of the higher boost, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 02:31 AM   #63
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

I get the 29F4 Catalytic converter conversion, 29F5 Catalytic converter conversion codes now and again on my 35is. NO other codes. No CEL light etc. I just clear them with the BT tool.

I am not sure what they mean but the car is driving fine. I think it just might be over-sensitve sensors or just bad fuel.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #64
shashi27
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 Z4 35is

Finally found the time to flash my 35IS. I am verry happy with the ESS tune. It brings the power on very smoothly. The JB4 feels more torquey and brutal but I like the ESS and the idea they will be suppporting the E89 with more mods. I have to say the ESS support staff were very good. They were emailing me at 11PM on a sat night which was pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #65
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

How long does the ESS initial reading ECU take? I have been waiting almost 20 mins now and it hasnt read half way. The bar is still moving but its just taking forever to read, is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:22 AM   #66
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Nevermind got everything fixed and installed thanks to Asbjorn@ESS helping me out at this time of the day. Sent them my stock map and got reply back in less than an hour. Truly amazing service.

OK, on to the review and first impressions. A little background info on me. I just got this car used with 12000kms about 2 weeks ago and was already very impressed with the power (my last bmw was a 98 MZ3). So now that I have put about 800kms on it, I decided it needed a tad more power without having to annoy my neighbors so i went with a ESS Direct Flash.

Being a smartass I went straight for the stage 2 map and took it for a rip. At first it didnt load and recovered back to stock so when i took it out for a spin, i was quite unimpressed. I kept thinking, this feels like stock or maybe even slower lol. So i went back to my house, reloaded again and DAMNNNNNNNN. Almost ripped my face off. The stock to stage 2 difference is really night and day. The mid range power, the tq, the grunt and scream. Its like someone took a condom off this car. I seriously dont know what to do with all this power in Hong Kong. Aside from the fear of killing myself, I dont think I will still have a driver's license in a year. This car begs you to step on it. This has totally transformed the car to something else. For now, I will set it back to stage 1 and ride that for a while, knowing I can increase my happiness levels easily by switching back to stage 2. AWESOME STUFF guys, truly unblieveably what one grand can do to this engine.
Appreciate 0