New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-06-2015, 01:09 AM   #1
torq
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

How to reset oil service interval?

Earlier this summer I purchased a 2011 BMW Z4. Two days after I bought it I took it to BMW for inspection. They did a low mileage maintenance (oil, filter and microfilters) under warranty. In August, the oil service light came on showing a date of 6/2/2017 or 700 miles. Since 6/2 was the date the car was serviced, it looked like they reset the indicator for another two years. Well, since I already had oil service and the papers to prove it, I figured I'd just reset the service interval myself.

I tried following the instructions in this thread:
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ht=maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1, post #4
Resetting Service Intervals
1. Switch the ignition on (so that the battery, Oil and Parking brake lights are displayed) and the key is ready to start the engine - but don't actually start the car.
2. Press the odometer reset button for between 5 and 10 seconds until a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the centre appears in the top window between the clocks.
3. Release the odometer button briefly and press again straight away which brings up a picture of the Brake Fluid symbol.
Unfortunately, they don't work for me. They sound like they are for an older Z4, mentioning battery and oil lights, and a key, which I don't have. Anyway, I push the fob in but don't start the car. I press the odometer reset button and I do see a yellow triangle between the speedometer and tachometer. But when I release the odometer button and press it again, I don't get a picture of a brake fluid or any other symbol. It just immediately returns to displaying the time and temperature.

Any other tips on how to get this to work?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

those are the instructions for sure. When i reset my 3er which is a 2014 it was exactly the same as above. the only exception was that i had the idrive window open to system warnings. Since my time had already expired a reset was very easy to perform. I also saw that another system check was due in a couple hundred miles so i performed that service too but the vehicle would not let me reset it early and stated that reset was not possible at this time. I had to drive it a couple days until the indicator came on and voila I was able to reset it then.

My Z is an 09 so it doesn't have an idrive system and thus only rest-able via the odo button. But again it sues the same info as above. the only thing i would add to the above is enter the vehicle and shut door. do not press the brake and push the start/stop button. then run through the steps above.
      10-06-2015, 02:57 PM   #3
torq
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117
those are the instructions for sure....

the only thing i would add to the above is enter the vehicle and shut door. do not press the brake and push the start/stop button. then run through the steps above.
I know about shutting the door, but I may have stepped on the brake. I'm going to try this again.

I don't understand the part about pushing the Start/Stop button. The posted instructions say to switch the ignition on but not to start the car. If I push the Start button, the engine starts. I just inserted the key fob. Was that the problem? If so, how do I turn the ignition on without starting the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 04:20 PM   #4
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

The engine won't start unless you depress the brake or clutch pedal (but you probably don't have a clutch pedal). Press the start/stop button twice with your foot off the brake. All the idiot lights will be lit on the dash. That's your starting point.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 01:11 AM   #5
torq
Rep

Some progress but I still can't reset.

This time I did not step on the brake and I pushed the Start button. The missing lights displayed. I pressed the odometer reset button and saw the yellow triangle, as before. I released the button and quickly pressed it again. It immediately went back to time and temperature display. But I found if I did this two times, after the time and temperature display, the oilcan symbol appeared with the word Service in red, showing the number of miles -370. Continuing to hold in the button at this point eventually resulted in the following to appear:

FGSTRNR
Exxxxxx

There were 6 numbers after the letter E, but I didn't have a pen with me to write them down. I couldn't get the word Reset to appear, nor any other symbols (brake fluid, etc.).

Thanks for the tip on pressing the Start button without stepping on the brake. I've had this car for four months and didn't realize that the radio ready state was not the same as ignition on...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 08:22 AM   #6
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torq View Post
Some progress but I still can't reset.

This time I did not step on the brake and I pushed the Start button. The missing lights displayed. I pressed the odometer reset button and saw the yellow triangle, as before. I released the button and quickly pressed it again. It immediately went back to time and temperature display. But I found if I did this two times, after the time and temperature display, the oilcan symbol appeared with the word Service in red, showing the number of miles -370. Continuing to hold in the button at this point eventually resulted in the following to appear:

FGSTRNR
Exxxxxx

There were 6 numbers after the letter E, but I didn't have a pen with me to write them down. I couldn't get the word Reset to appear, nor any other symbols (brake fluid, etc.).

Thanks for the tip on pressing the Start button without stepping on the brake. I've had this car for four months and didn't realize that the radio ready state was not the same as ignition on...
Don't quote me but i think the numbers after the E are part of your VIN. Once you received the service indicator you should let go of the ODO button then immediately press and hold it again and it should then read RESET. then let go and press and hold again to activate the reset function. Unfortunately i have had too many BMWs to tell you the exact steps but all are similar. Which is why i don't remember the exact steps here. Once you have done it once on your vehicle you should be able to do it on any other BMW out there except for the one that requires a reset from under the hood like the old 2001 Z4///M. for those a quick short on two pins and the service indicator resets.

The fact that you saw the following tells me you held the button down without releasing and pressing it again to enter the service mode. The screen after another few seconds goes into diag mode which is where you were.

FGSTRNR
Exxxxxx

Also not sure how old you are. (that kinda matters for my next statement) if you are old enough to remember the way older cars used to work. you would put in your key, turn it once and the dash and everything would light up but the engine would not crank. This was ACC mode or accessory mode. It is also referred to as turning the ignition on meaning that the brain comes alive, engine gets power and everything is poised to start running. then if you turn the key one more time you engage the starter which cranks the vehicle and then when you let go the key goes back to that same ACC position.

With the invent of the push button start they had to have a way to turn on all the power to the vehicle, brain and engine without starting the car for diagnostic purposes so they invented this ACC mode, if you will, or as in the reset doc called it turning on the ignition. this is accomplished by inserted the key fob if your model has the slot and then without pressing the brake pedal pressing the start / stop button. So yes, placing your Key Fob into the slot does not do anything but authenticate (sends a set of instructions to the vehicles ECU that tells it is ok to start or not) you to the vehicle, meaning it does not initiate the ignition.

AND BTW you don't have to do any of these things to get the radio to play. when parked and key fob out of the car even you can press the power button on the left of the radio and it will begin playing for a set period of time. I don't remember if all BMWs have a timer on it so be careful not to drain your battery. the radio has constant power to work without the "ignition" being on.

Last edited by rking117; 10-08-2015 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 08:36 AM   #7
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
...Press the start/stop button twice ...
Just once unless you are shutting down the vehicle to put er to bed.
      10-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

I just did a reset on Monday. I've tried various orders from the E90 and F30 forums but couldn't get it to work... this seemed to do the trick.

1) Insert the key into the slot
2) Press the Start/Stop button (WITHOUT depressing brake; if you do, the car will start and you do not want that)
3) Press and hold the odometer reset button for about 2-3 seconds. You will see an orange warning triangle come up; KEEP holding it for another 2-3 seconds
4) You should now be directed to the service menu... use the up/down switch on the indicator stalk (left of steering wheel) and scroll to the service item you want reset
5) When you get to the service you want reset, just click on the BC button (also on the indicator stalk). "RESET" appears on the screen. Quickly, otherwise it times out within 1-2 seconds, press and hold BC button again for a few seconds
6) You should see a winding clock

Done!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 01:55 AM   #9
torq
Rep

OK. I got the correct numbers. I had an extra letter in that second line before.

FGSTNR
Exxxxxx

At first, I thought this might be some kind of error code, although it didn't make too much sense for an error code to say service due in 700 miles (now it's at -370 miles). I looked up FGSTNR on Google and it stands for Fahrgestellnummer in German (Chassis number in English). So, yes, the number after the E is just the last six digits of the VIN. I thought those digits looked familiar...

Quote:
Once you received the service indicator you should let go of the ODO button then immediately press and hold it again and it should then read RESET.
This is the part that isn't happening. I push the reset button and get the triangle, but as soon as I release it, the display goes back to time and temperature, and when I push it again, the triangle comes back. If I repeat, this repeats. If I keep holding, I get the hidden menu.

Quote:
The fact that you saw the following tells me you held the button down without releasing and pressing it again to enter the service mode. The screen after another few seconds goes into diag mode which is where you were.
But I did release it. I tried varying the speed, releasing and pushing again as fast as I can, more slowly, etc. Always get the same result.

I tried CedarZ's steps, but I get stuck between steps 3) and 4):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4
3) Press and hold the odometer reset button for about 2-3 seconds. You will see an orange warning triangle come up; KEEP holding it for another 2-3 seconds
4) You should now be directed to the service menu... use the up/down switch on the indicator stalk (left of steering wheel) and scroll to the service item you want reset
I never get redirected to the service menu. If I keep holding (instead of releasing first), I eventually get the hidden menu.

Since I don't see any other symbols either (brake fluid, etc.), I'm wondering if there was a software reset on this car that is preventing this from happening.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 02:04 AM   #10
torq
Rep

Quote:
Also not sure how old you are. (that kinda matters for my next statement) if you are old enough to remember the way older cars used to work. ...
I had a Z3 before the Z4, so, yeah, I remember the way they used to work. There was ACC mode (ignition on) and full start (or whatever they called it). But now there's a third mode, the radio-ready state. That is what I confused for ignition on. I wonder why they call it radio-ready state if you don't have to do anything to get the radio to play. I'll have to try playing the radio without the key in the fob.

When I was test-driving cars before I got the Z4, one dealer mentioned that I didn't need to step on the brake to start the car. I think it was a Mini but I'm not sure. Since stepping on the brake was not required on the Z3, I quickly forgot it, and when I went to an Audi dealer to test drive a TT, I couldn't get the car started. When I went back to get the salesman, he immediately asked if I was stepping on the brake. So I've kind of gotten into the habit of stepping on the brake to start or stop the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #11
The_Devil
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i (E89)

**UPDATED May 2016**

So I was struggling to reset my oil service, my brake pad sensors etc. and then I found a youtube video that explained a step that other forum posts did not mention.

1. With door closed and foot of the brake pedal.....Stick key in ignition and press START. (Depending on if you have a fault, this will bring up an icon of the CAR SERVICE or CAR ON LIFT follwed by your faults).
2. Use your Scroll up button to select SERVICE INFO.
3. Push the BC button twice (this step is not mentioned anywhere, but is required if you have a fault.
4. Hold the ODOMETER BUTTON, Keep holding and a yellow triangle appears, followed by your fault.
5. You are now in reset mode allowing you to select RESET by holding down the BC button for a few seconds.

If you find that you cannot or do not get the reset option despite following the instructions, it is very likely you skipped step 3.

The youtube video that shows the necessary step 3 is here. Look for the it around the 40 second mark.

Appreciate 0