New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > E89 Z4 Photos / Video / Media Gallery

06-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Custom quad exhaust fitted

So, after months and months of searching I decided to roll the dice and go for a custom solution. I have heard the hartge and the eisenmann race quads in person but was a bit disappointed both by looks and sound of course. My dream was a quad exhaust with meatier, heavier and louder sound paired with tips that were bigedged and angledcut, but that's just me of course and my definition of sophistication. The idea of getting a custom suit - as risky as that be - appeared as a monodrom. The risk involved was not in terms of the quality of the products, but the result regarding sound. I couldn't imagine my baby coughing like a peugeot-rallye-saxo-maxo-gti-gtsdri-gtwhateveri. Disaster. So last Tuesday I headed to see a guy nicknamed "Popey", a renown exhaust manufacturer who by the way has constructed even manifolds for Ferraris and exports exhaust items for tuning brands for VAG, Alfa Romeos and other, just a great guy.
Well, the spa lasted 5 and a half hours as everything had to be done a la carte, and after numerous cups of coffee and cigarettes I took my baby around the block with her new earrings........................................
What a blast, guys. I was so happy and proud as the day I first took her home. The sound was just A M A Z I N G. Heavy as I desired, the whistling of the turbos was clearly noticeable, the sound was coming from the engine and not from a loud lousy muffler. At my first upshift there was just this supernatural breathtaking-something sound exaggerated immensely and at my first downshift the blurp was so intense I just couldn't believe my ears, I thought a heavy motorbike was coming along.
Thats it. Forgive my long and emotional post, but I have waited far long enough for this mod and had to share it with you guys.
Take care.
Attached Images

Last edited by jannisa; 05-18-2011 at 04:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M4 2018

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
Looks very very beautiful. Nicest quad i've seen so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Nice job, looks and sounds great. 5 1/2 hours and parts what did it cost in Euros?

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 03:53 AM   #4
T89
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i & Mini Cooper S

Not bad. Do you have some flyby vids?

T
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 04:13 AM   #5
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Speeeed

very cool!

lets do some more vids, and pricing. I WANT
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 04:37 AM   #6
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys. I will take a drive-by later this week for you. The price was 700 euros (plus the cost for coffees and cigarettes in 5 hours), I know it sounds suspicious compared to the 2.300 - 2.500 euros range for hartge or eisenmann, but the guy is a master and only uses stainless steel for tubes and netting and nickelium from Germany and not the almost fake chinese one which is marginally non-magnetic. How much do you think these systems cost to the suppliers of hamann for example. I saved the rest to install the H&R stabis and the venture shield full condom next week. A great gift, thanks Santa!!!!

Last edited by jannisa; 06-02-2010 at 05:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 05:25 AM   #7
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

Sounds and looks great! I love the red with the DSB as well.
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 06:01 AM   #8
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

nice!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #9
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M4 2018

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
I would like to have 2x90 in the same style! Maby he can do "cat back" or how it's said?

I mean only the last parts with mufflers, like the Remus. But this is more estetic. Very nice tips!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 06:48 AM   #10
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

very very nice - enjoy
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

looks superb, and I like the sound too. cant wait for fly by videos!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep

Today I had the H&R antiroll bars installed and had the rear adjusted in the softest position. Guys, the understeer is practically eliminated, I can now enter any curve as aggressively I desire and the car sits like a table. The steering is now razor sharp and the whole suspension is two bits stiffer than I expected, when in normal it feels like sport, sport like sport+, etc. 100% recommended. The installation took about one and a half hours by two craftsmen as a lot of stuff had to be removed including the bridges front and rear and the exhaust past the downpipes.
Apparently June is the mundial for my mods, so later this evening on the way home I stopped by the Llumar/Venture Shield dealer who kept my baby the whole past week to apply the clearcoat bra on the whole car (he made a magnificent work by the way) and had my windscreens tinted per 30% (he actually used Johnson foils).
Voila, my baby is now as I dreamed it..... I will get the time later in the week to post some photos and the promised flyby video of the quad exhaust.
Cheers..........

Last edited by jannisa; 07-10-2010 at 07:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #13
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannisa View Post
Today I had the H&R antiroll bars installed and had the rear adjusted in the softest position. Guys, the understeer is practically eliminated, I can now enter any curve as aggressively I desire and the car sits like a table. The steering is now razor sharp and the whole suspension is two bits stiffer than I expected, when in normal it feels like sport, sport like sport+, etc. 100% recommended. ......
I have the Sport Package with the adaptive suspension. I want to add the H&R springs and antiroll bars but I was told the antiroll bars would render the adaptive settings for the sway bars ineffective and the default light would come on - I guess this is not true???
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #14
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
I have the Sport Package with the adaptive suspension. I want to add the H&R springs and antiroll bars but I was told the antiroll bars would render the adaptive settings for the sway bars ineffective and the default light would come on - I guess this is not true???
Totally not true. As Z4s we don't have the electronically adjustable swaybars like X6 for example. I too have the adaptive suspension and the rollbars just come to sit in regular bolts, so there is nothing to worry about. Of course no light will ever come along. Keep in mind that the more you stiffen the front the more you will have oversteer, and the more you stiffen the rear, the more understeer you will get, and this is why I didn't adjust the rear swaybar hard. If you would allow me, I would suggest you take each step by the time and start by getting the sway bars alone first. Your car will become surprisingly stiffer that way. By the way they cost me 450$ plus shipping from Germany. Finally, my personal choice regarding springs would only be the Hartge ones, they are always ahead combining comfort and sportivity. Hope this helps.

Last edited by jannisa; 06-15-2010 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 03:23 AM   #15
Z4BMC
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 s35i

soooo nice!
I think you got the bumper cut a little bit wider to fit it in?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 04:36 AM   #16
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Question

Looks good
Sounds great

Cant help but wonder how it compares with the new exhaust tune and flaps in the 35is...?

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #17
stefstef
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

It looks very nice mate!!
Popey is doing excellent job...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 06:31 AM   #18
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you all for your comments.
This is a small drive-by after I deleted the center catalysts, I guess that is the reason the neighbours love me more now.
Hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by jannisa; 05-18-2011 at 04:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 06:08 AM   #19
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannisa View Post
Today I had the H&R antiroll bars installed and had the rear adjusted in the softest position. Guys, the understeer is practically eliminated, I can now enter any curve as aggressively I desire and the car sits like a table. The steering is now razor sharp and the whole suspension is two bits stiffer than I expected, when in normal it feels like sport, sport like sport+, etc. 100% recommended. The installation took about one and a half hours by two craftsmen as a lot of stuff had to be removed including the bridges front and rear and the exhaust past the downpipes.
Apparently June is the mundial for my mods, so later this evening on the way home I stopped by the Llumar/Venture Shield dealer who kept my baby the whole past week to apply the clearcoat bra on the whole car (he made a magnificent work by the way) and had my windscreens tinted per 30% (he actually used Johnson foils).
Voila, my baby is now as I dreamed it..... I will get the time later in the week to post some photos and the promised flyby video of the quad exhaust.
Cheers..........

awesome sounding exhaust and great [ictures. wished I knew of this option before fitting my esienman.

On a side note, I wonder if you can give a detailed review on the H&R swaybars as well as the settings you will recommend? Did you get both the front and rear? I love my z4, but the vague steering feel as compared to my previous s2000, makes me wonder what I can do about it. This swyabar seems like the perfect solution!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #20
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg-e89 View Post
awesome sounding exhaust and great [ictures. wished I knew of this option before fitting my esienman.

On a side note, I wonder if you can give a detailed review on the H&R swaybars as well as the settings you will recommend? Did you get both the front and rear? I love my z4, but the vague steering feel as compared to my previous s2000, makes me wonder what I can do about it. This swyabar seems like the perfect solution!
Thanks for your comments, bro.
Regarding the swaybars, yes, I got both front and rear. Only the rear is adjustable and as mentioned I set it in the softest position. The reason for that was to allow the rear end to be more flexible and absorve first the weight transitions on curves, hence the toned oversteer feel now. Both bars are thicker than stock anyway, so don't think there is a compromise on sportivity. The ride becomes stiffer but you still get -a lot less sure and predictable- bodyroll when changing lanes for example at high speed. I can go on and on about this mod, the point is that you will delete understeer and you will wake the steering feel up. I hope everyday to catch a cayman/boxster on curves and have fun with them, I like drifting and be sure I have no further intention to change springs or other suspension components. The car is ready for me and as I can recall you are running on jb so I would say it's a must for you and the ideal way to start. Honestly get it and if you don't like it I will give you the money you spent back for giving bad advice.
ps:No refunds for other dudes, only daniel
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #21
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep

thanks bro you knew exactly what I was after. Now you got me sold on it, time to plonk down some dough to get these must-gets items for the z4
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #22
Projekt35i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

looks great! Can we have a sound clip?
Appreciate 0