New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

12-18-2017, 09:25 AM   #133
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

Well personally I think all the "BMW's don't handle anymore, the steering is numb" talk is non sense. I also own a Turbocharged Mazda RX-8 and for the money you cannot get a better handling or better braking car. I have also driven E46 M3's and a few E30's, E34's, vettes, owned a track built CRX, etc.

And guess what? My 2011 335i with it's current mods handles just as well as any of those on the street and in the twisties, the RX-8 is the more tossable and would make more sense on track but not that much better on a fast track and which one was faster would really depend on the driver. As for steering, the EPS in my RX-8 is not so much batter than my 335i.

A lot of this is subjective but exaggerated IMO. The only downside to the newer cars is size and weight. And for 95% of buyers that doesn't matter much.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2017, 10:22 AM   #134
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 View Post
My 2011 335i with it's current mods...
And there in lies the problem.

C&D is not in the business of reviewing MODIFIED BMWs. There are other magazines out there for that. Stock for stock, BMWs produced in the last few years just haven't been able to stay ahead. Competition has caught up and surpassed them, and if you need to modify a BMW to make it handle as well as competition, well, you might as well just buy the competition.

Cars you listed in your post, the E30s, the E34s, they were the BEST cars in their category in their respective eras, but no, they don't hold a candle to today's BMWs in terms of comfort, power, and handling. But they BLEW the competition out of the water. Absolutely obliterated them. And they rewarded their owners with uncompromising handling and a unique experience from the driver's perspective, without sinking in thousands in modifications...Straight from the factory in Munich (or wherever they built them back then).

So yeah. It's great that your modified 2011 335i handles great. I can put enough $$$ into any Chevy to make it handle great too. The question is, WHY should that same Chevy handle BETTER than today's BMW 3 series (or any BMW for that matter) for less straight out of the factory?

That, is why that long streak of BMW being featured on the C&D top 10 came to an end.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 4
UPSROD941.00
Viffermike1753.00
Mavus2014.50
      12-18-2017, 11:03 AM   #135
9krpmrx8
Rep

Well with BMW factory performance parts, my car would handle just as well as it does now, all I have is sways, Bilstein PSS, and good tires. I could just as well have BMW performance parts installed at the dealer when purchased new. I could care less what C&D thinks, they are far from biased opinions.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #136
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Well with BMW factory performance parts, my car would handle just as well as it does now, all I have is sways, Bilstein PSS, and good tires. I could just as well have BMW performance parts installed at the dealer when purchased new. I could care less what C&D thinks, they are far from biased opinions.
I agree that Magazine opinions should be taken with a grain of salt but the new BMW's out of the box are rather numb when compared to previous models but on their own right are not the worst thing out there like some people make it out to be. Drive a 1M and then drive an M2 and it is extremely apparent. Both cars are great but you can not argue the 1M is a much more connected experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 01:00 PM   #137
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
First: Stop it with mods. General-interest mags don't care, and Joe Schmo prospective car buyer doesn't care.

Second: If you could care less what C&D thinks, why are you posting in this thread?

Finally: 'far from biased opinions' -- Wha-waaa? Opinions are biased by definition. What exactly are the alternate kind of opinions you're referring to -- (or: Proofread yo' self, son!)
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #138
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
In the 70s-early 2000s, every car (not just M cars, special editions, M sports, whatever) BMW drove well. They weren't all fast, but they all had excellent communication, great throttle response, predicable power output, handling and braking in excess of their power, and a good driving position/cockpit. This remained true for decades. To this day, one of my favorite cars to hammer on a back road remains my mom's e46 325i wagon (including compared to my e46 M3 wagon). It's not fast, but everything is harmonious and balanced.

Starting in the mid 2000s, the above became only true of M cars. Turbos killed the awesome engines, runflats (and the bushings that hid their harshness) killed the handling and feedback.

Starting in the 2010s, it became no longer true of the M cars, either.

In the intervening years, as BMW has gotten worse, much of their competition has dramatically stepped up their game. The American car companies are making some seriously nicely driving cars these days, with engines to match (sadly their ergonomics/materials still suck). The Alfa has the chassis a modern BMW would have, had they stayed the course (sadly seemingly with traditional Italian reliability). Mercedes is better at being Mercedes than they have in a long time.

At this point, almost everything BMW is pretty shit to drive. Terrible steering feel, bad throttle response (good for turbo engines is still bad compared to their NA engines of the past), engines that favor torque over being revved out, transmissions that value automation over involvement, clusters that value gimmicks over clarity, dashboards that value me too features over simplicity, chassis targeting autopilot over involvement, etc. The M2 is certainly their least bad car. But, it's not as good as BMW's of yesteryear were in their day, and there's lots of things about it that are still worse today compared to BMWs of the past.

C&D has remained consistent in what they award and what they value, and it's right in their name-- "driver". BMW's corporate values have changed. They no longer make "The Ultimate Driving Machine". As a result, they are no longer winning awards for it. Nobody has replaced what BMW was. But, BMW has gotten worse enough, and everyone else has gotten better enough, that this result should not be a surprise.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 3
      12-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #139
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Well personally I think all the "BMW's don't handle anymore, the steering is numb" talk is non sense. I also own a Turbocharged Mazda RX-8 and for the money you cannot get a better handling or better braking car. I have also driven E46 M3's and a few E30's, E34's, vettes, owned a track built CRX, etc.

And guess what? My 2011 335i with it's current mods handles just as well as any of those on the street and in the twisties, the RX-8 is the more tossable and would make more sense on track but not that much better on a fast track and which one was faster would really depend on the driver. As for steering, the EPS in my RX-8 is not so much batter than my 335i.

A lot of this is subjective but exaggerated IMO. The only downside to the newer cars is size and weight. And for 95% of buyers that doesn't matter much.
Yes, but you have an older BMW that was before the electronic steering in new BMWs and the numbing down of everything that came in the F30 generation. Try a new 3 series and you'll be sorely disappointed.
      12-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #140
seetohey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB, 6MT. Future: CTR

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I can vouch that my M2's steering feel is absolutely terrible. While there's no denying that the car's handling is great, the feel of the steering (and actually... the wheel's material itself!) are garbage. I don't disagree with C&D's list at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 02:12 PM   #141
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Quote:
And guess what? My 2011 335i with it's current mods handles just as well as any of those on the street and in the twisties
You're talking about a 2011. My wife's 2013 X1 has far better feel than the current lineup M3, M4 or my 2014 435i. JMHO.

Go out and try a new model.... report back Mr 2011 on the 2017 / 2018 models.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #142
9krpmrx8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
You're talking about a 2011. My wife's 2013 X1 has far better feel than the current lineup M3, M4 or my 2014 435i. JMHO.

Yeah well they have been talking about the lack of handling since the 2012 MY. And I have driven a new 4 series, M240i, etc and the M2 handles great.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #143
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Quote:
Yeah well they have been talking about the lack of handling since the 2012 MY. And I have driven a new 4 series, M240i, etc and the M2 handles great.
And how does it feel...

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #144
seetohey
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
And how does it feel...
Exactly. There's no denying the M2's chassis handles great, but it's the feel of the steering and shifting that's super rubbery and vague. I love my M2, but this is the truth from my experience.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2017, 03:41 PM   #145
9krpmrx8
Rep

Rubbery and vague? Come on now. And BMW has never been the best in terms of manually shifting anyway. But again "feel" is subjective. But overall they are much better cars in almost every way.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #146
The HACK
Rep

Quote:

You keep saying that like it's a good thing. It's not.

The reason why the X1 seems to have better steering feel is because it's based on a FWD platform. Because there's a lot more hardware to carry up front, it "feels" better because the steering wheel is weighted more.

Back in 2002 BMW had to do the same thing for the 330Xi. Because of all the additional hardware the Xi platform had to carry, the steering feels a lot stiffer and heavier. So heavy that BMW decided to calibrated the rack so that everything feels significantly lighter. For whatever STUPID reason, they decided to apply that same light steering feel to all the 3 liter engine based steering rack. One of the worst things to happen to the E46 because BMW sacrificed steering weight and feel in favor of the Xi and it's additional driveshaft up front.

Since the X1 is based on a front wheel drive platform, the steering naturally has more weight because it carries a lot more heft up front. For some reason BMW thinks backwards and tries to artificially engineer the electronic steering calibration to accommodate AWD and FWD models on their RWD models.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #147
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
You keep saying that like it's a good thing. It's not.

The reason why the X1 seems to have better steering feel is because it's based on a FWD platform. Because there's a lot more hardware to carry up front, it "feels" better because the steering wheel is weighted more.

Back in 2002 BMW had to do the same thing for the 330Xi. Because of all the additional hardware the Xi platform had to carry, the steering feels a lot stiffer and heavier. So heavy that BMW decided to calibrated the rack so that everything feels significantly lighter. For whatever STUPID reason, they decided to apply that same light steering feel to all the 3 liter engine based steering rack. One of the worst things to happen to the E46 because BMW sacrificed steering weight and feel in favor of the Xi and it's additional driveshaft up front.

Since the X1 is based on a front wheel drive platform, the steering naturally has more weight because it carries a lot more heft up front. For some reason BMW thinks backwards and tries to artificially engineer the electronic steering calibration to accommodate AWD and FWD models on their RWD models.
His 2013 X1 was e90 based-- rwd platform. And it still had HPS, which is why it had better feel than many of its contemporary BMWs. And you could still get it without turbos, for proper throttle response.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 2
      12-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #148
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Rubbery and vague? Come on now. And BMW has never been the best in terms of manually shifting anyway. But again "feel" is subjective. But overall they are much better cars in almost every way.
I recommend you go out and drive an MZ4 Coupe. Or an E36 M3. The E36 M3 at one time beat out the Ferraris of its time and was crowned to have the best feeling steering wheel of ALL TIME (up to that point, anyway). The old BMWs with Servotronic and hydraulic steering were legendary for their direct feel and response. The MZ4 Coupe (and roadster, although the coupe has a quicker steering ratio) has a revised version of the E36 M3 steering rack.

I've driven ALL manners of BMWs on track, even up to modern day FXX based chassis. I can tell you this. BMW used to make cars that feels amazing to drive because the steering was one of the most accurate, direct, and responsive racks ever built. The only car that I have ever driven on track that had a rack that rivaled, and bested the rack on my MZ4 Coupe is the Lotus Exige 240S. The Lamborghini Diablo I drove at California Speedway came a close 2nd. That thing had an amazing steering too.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2017, 04:07 PM   #149
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
His 2013 X1 was e90 based-- rwd platform. And it still had HPS, which is why it had better feel than many of its contemporary BMWs. And you could still get it without turbos, for proper throttle response.
I stand corrected.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2017, 05:26 PM   #150
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
In the 70s-early 2000s, every car (not just M cars, special editions, M sports, whatever) BMW drove well. They weren't all fast, but they all had excellent communication, great throttle response, predicable power output, handling and braking in excess of their power, and a good driving position/cockpit. This remained true for decades. To this day, one of my favorite cars to hammer on a back road remains my mom's e46 325i wagon (including compared to my e46 M3 wagon). It's not fast, but everything is harmonious and balanced.

Starting in the mid 2000s, the above became only true of M cars. Turbos killed the awesome engines, runflats (and the bushings that hid their harshness) killed the handling and feedback.

Starting in the 2010s, it became no longer true of the M cars, either.

In the intervening years, as BMW has gotten worse, much of their competition has dramatically stepped up their game. The American car companies are making some seriously nicely driving cars these days, with engines to match (sadly their ergonomics/materials still suck). The Alfa has the chassis a modern BMW would have, had they stayed the course (sadly seemingly with traditional Italian reliability). Mercedes is better at being Mercedes than they have in a long time.

At this point, almost everything BMW is pretty shit to drive. Terrible steering feel, bad throttle response (good for turbo engines is still bad compared to their NA engines of the past), engines that favor torque over being revved out, transmissions that value automation over involvement, clusters that value gimmicks over clarity, dashboards that value me too features over simplicity, chassis targeting autopilot over involvement, etc. The M2 is certainly their least bad car. But, it's not as good as BMW's of yesteryear were in their day, and there's lots of things about it that are still worse today compared to BMWs of the past.

C&D has remained consistent in what they award and what they value, and it's right in their name-- "driver". BMW's corporate values have changed. They no longer make "The Ultimate Driving Machine". As a result, they are no longer winning awards for it. Nobody has replaced what BMW was. But, BMW has gotten worse enough, and everyone else has gotten better enough, that this result should not be a surprise.
I wish I didn't have to agree but there is too much truth in your post. Well put.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #151
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
I wish I didn't have to agree but there is too much truth in your post. Well put.

BMW no longer aligns with what I'm looking for in a vehicle purchase, and thus my first BMW will also likely be my last. If I were to buy a performance car today it'd be a Ford, GM or Porsche product.

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2017, 06:42 PM   #152
seetohey
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Yup, I also wish I didn't have to agree with it but it's a very well put post and I agree with everything in it. As a former E46 M3 owner, I can say that was when driving feel still mattered to BMW. I probably would have kept it if it wasn't for the subframe being a potential ticking bomb and some random electrical gremlins that would pop up.
I like the characterization of the M2 as BMW's current least bad car lol, so true. They designed a well balanced handling car with an alright engine, decent looks, for approximately the size of the former E46s. I still like it (I bought one), but I think the nicest thing I can say about the "feel" is that it probably was an afterthought rather than a design principle.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #153
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by seetohey View Post
Exactly. There's no denying the M2's chassis handles great, but it's the feel of the steering and shifting that's super rubbery and vague. I love my M2, but this is the truth from my experience.
I've been behind the wheel of the M2 a few times, including lapping the nurburgring nordschleife. Each time it feels precise, nimble and a capable car. But that steering feels awkward. I can't feel it and apply too much or too little steering and have to correct mid corner. There is no feeling at all. I drove at a slower pace through the corners at the nurburgring because I didn't know how much input I needed without worrying about breaking the tires loose.

I guess if you drive it enough and get used to it, you can know it by memory. But based on steering feedback - there isn't any.
      12-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #154
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylengraver View Post
If you watch those two promotional videos in sequence, you will know why this is no longer the car company it used to be.
They are both for the 1series. The "old" and the "new"

I like this....

Driving is going from real driving to a video game!
Appreciate 0