New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-19-2015, 12:40 PM   #1
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Honeycomb air straitener??

This kid I know with a speed3 was telling me about how his tuner is recommending for him to get one for his intake. Something about better a/f ratios with this little piece installed inside his MAF sensor.

Anyone able to shed light on this? Not sure if this is BS or actually beneficial when tuning.

Made me think of that "tornado air" thing that I used to see advertised on TV and magazines... Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
This kid I know with a speed3 was telling me about how his tuner is recommending for him to get one for his intake. Something about better a/f ratios with this little piece installed inside his MAF sensor.

Anyone able to shed light on this? Not sure if this is BS or actually beneficial when tuning.

Made me think of that "tornado air" thing that I used to see advertised on TV and magazines... Lol
It can help fix an imperfect situation, but for the most part you’re wasting your time and money.

Oddly enough, there is a small group from within the LSx (Camaro, Vette, Silverado, etc) community that believe in removing this screen (Most LSx engines come with one from the factory).

The only real value the screen has is keeping your MAF sensor clean. Most problems arise from people having cold air intakes and over-oiling the filter. That oil attracts dirt/dust which eventually makes its way to the MAF and can cause inaccurate readings.

Long story short- for anyone with common sense, it’s a waste of money. Clean your MAF sensor with anti-static cleaner every so often and you'll be just fine.

Disclaimer- I can’t remember if BMW includes these screens from the factory. Our cars may already have one.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 10:32 PM   #3
Time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I believe this is what you're referring to? The e46 M3s used to use them iirc

http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_gizmo.shtml
      03-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #4
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
If it's anything like the device Time mentioned, looks gimmicky. It looks to block the air a bit, adds some turbulence, and since the intake isn't a straight, smooth bore (the OEM crinkled piece of plastic or even the metal tube of intake has a bend in it), it won't do much since the air path would be diverted itself anyway. I could be wrong, but I'm just applying knowledge of what I read about the tornado intake fins OP mentioned when it first came out.
::THE MACHETE::

Last edited by NEFARIOUS; 03-22-2015 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: meant to say "OP" instead of "you" (confusing)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

It works.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

I used one on my Corvette's MAF, and it did idle smoother. Most importantly; it greatly reduced the codes the DIC would show on my highly modified LS6. It smoothed linear air flow, and was designed by aero engineer. The construction is quite different from the above poster's picture. Of honeycomb construction, and about 6mm thick, it was sturdy enough until I installed a supercharger. First dyno run it turned the thing into a pretzel, and the tuner and I thought the motor was a goner. No damage, fortunately.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 01:30 PM   #7
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Appreciate 0