E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Pulsating/fluctuating N47 engine noise when hot and idle

04-24-2024, 06:39 AM   #1
Supahotfire
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 2009

Question Pulsating/fluctuating N47 engine noise when hot and idle

Hi all,

I am getting some strange sounds with my N47 engine (after I've driven it around for a while and got it hot) where it sounds noticeably louder than usual and has an almost pulsating sound when idle.

After 5-10 mins sat at idle, the engine goes back to sounding normal (i.e. no pulsating) and quieter when revving/driving.

I have uploaded a video of the louder/pulsating sound of the engine. (https://youtube.com/shorts/hJaVYcyx8...hU1NbcJIRvvQrM)

I haven't managed to find any videos or posts on forums anywhere online with people asking a similar thing, except these 2 videos that have a very similar sounding issue with the pulsating:
1. https://youtube.com/shorts/1ibwlrlq5...ac3_Rk08d-0Tb4

The only issue is there hasn't been much interaction with these videos so it's given me some ideas of things to do/check but I'm not so sure still.

Has anyone noticed this issue with their engine and have any ideas on how to fix?

I am worried this may be indicative of the notorious timing belt issue - thanks!

Last edited by Supahotfire; 04-24-2024 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: I couldn't attach video
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:03 AM   #2
phils2
Private
Rep
Drives: 318 D Msport

First job is see if there's any fault codes. Obviously there's no warning lights?
Appreciate 0