New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
petro1head
Private
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

Non run flat tyres

Getting used to my new Z4 35i, however I feel the car would handle better on non run flat tyres.

I am Running Bridgestone Pontenza RE050A's at the moment and they just lack feel and grip. This seems to be confirmed looking at Tyre Review web site - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Br...nza-RE050A.htm

So I am considering either Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 (Had these on my MX5 and was very please with them) or Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Both get good reviews. Just wonder, looking at the treads that the Goodyear may be better in the wet, something we get a lot here in the North East

I will need a kit in case I get a flat. Can anyone recommend one?

So what are the views going to non run flat (Yes I know I will need to inform my insurance) and which tyres are best for the Z4
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I used Michelin and was happy with them in the end before I sold mine and got into a M3. As for the kit, I recommend you get the one that BMW has in there M3.

Good choice btw to change the RFT when I had my Z4 both my rear rims (296) cracked due to the stiff RFT side wall.

Good luck and happy trails

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Those Potenza RE050A are really hard to beat though. Even though a new generation of RFTs has been out for years, and are offered with cars such as the M235i, there is a reason the Z4 keeps being sold with the RE050A.
Especially when combining 19in wheels with these bridgestoned things you can achieve slalom speeds that make formular one cars look exactly like formular one cars. Yet they contribute perfectly to the over-all GT experience of the Z4, ie by not only being very sporty, but also quiet and comfortable at high way cruising speeds.

Every year I ask myself. Is BMW going to screw up and, "upgrade" these tires to the lastest generation sporty RFTs, or, god forbid, put on non-RFTs, like the M cars use. Fortunately I havent been dissappointed yet. It has been six awesome years.

/end of rant

Last edited by Asbjorn; 06-05-2015 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #4
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ///M3 RD View Post
I used Michelin and was happy with them in the end before I sold mine and got into a M3. As for the kit, I recommend you get the one that BMW has in there M3.

Good choice btw to change the RFT when I had my Z4 both my rear rims (296) cracked due to the stiff RFT side wall.
Coupla' comments here Rolf. First off, I know you know better than to blame your 296 rim failures entirely on the RFT. We all know that rim was doomed from the start, no matter what kind of rubber was on it. Your comment may be misconstrued by the OP to think that his 18" BMW rims are in eminent danger from his current set of Bridgestones.
Second comment is a question. Why do you recommend an OE BMW inflation kit rather than the cheaper Continental alternative (or for that matter, the Slime unit)? Reason I ask is because I'm looking at making the switch to non-RFT also and will have to invest in a kit.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Petro1head: This topic has been covered many times here, so if you'll do a search, you'll find lots of useful info. I am looking at making the same switch to non-RFT in the next few months. From my research to date, I've narrowed the choice down to the Michelin PSS (which everyone here seems to use and TireRack.com gives rave reviews for) or the Continental Extreme Contact DW. The latter tire seems to get almost as high a rating as the Michelin, but is somewhat less expensive. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e&autoModClar=
Either way you'll save a tone of money over the Bridgestone Potenza RFT!!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Hi paris1,

You are properly right about the rims (the 18 inch ones), however, my rims were 19 inch, that plus the stiff reinforced RFT side walls most proberly caused the cracking of the outer edge on both my rear wheels. This is my opinion and I base it on many factors and my 45 year mechanical engineering background, after my cross country trip I took with my 2009 Z4 3.5is in 2010. Some of those factors are, tire pressure fluxuation due to ambient temperature changes, the negative chamber on the rear wheels, the 19 inch 296 wheel (I understand the wheel has been redesigned and BMW finally replaced some of the failed ones due to a law suit), when your TPM for the rear wheel comes on and you need to find a gas station to drive to or if you do have a flat and need to drive to a station there will be great extra pressure on those outer rims, then there are imperfections in the road surface and over time if one has a hairline crack it will eventually open up and lead to a flat tire. A tire shop manager in te US during my cross country trip and my rear wheel failure told me "I've seen those failures before, I recommend to add 4 PSI additional air pressure in your rear tires with luggage in your trunk.

Anyway, as I said it is my opinion and mine alone. Quite a few members here have experianced cracked 19 inch rear rims and the funny thing is all of those have been (or shall I say most of them) on rear wheels. Also all failures (cracks or hairline cracks) I have seen here on this forum look the same (same area on the wheel). I've been criticized by quite a few members here and look now 4 years later BMW stepped up to the bar and replaced some of those wheels.

I've only written here to you since you posed a good question that deserved a reply. I don't wish to discuss this subject any further. I have a reminder in my garage the cracked 296 wheel that cost me $890- US and I use it as a garden hose storage ... Otherwise my memories of the Z4 are all good

As for the tire inflation kit, it is something I had my cars and they worked well, if you find something better or equal and for less mony by all means get it. I only mentioned it since I had it and used it.

Enjoy your car and always happy and safe trails.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

My F80 came with PSS and I drove it on the A-bahn in the rain and it was fine.

Solid wet commuter tire

My E89 uses Dunlop ZII and I will switch the F80 to Bridgestone RE11 or another tire in that class of street tire. I'm too used to that dry grip level and am ok slowing down in very heavy rain when there is standing water
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 06:15 PM   #8
Dejablue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 SDrive 35is

My car has the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and the grip is awesome. I saw the BMW kit online at $140.00 or so, and that seems excessive. I picked up a mini 12v compressor and a can of Fix a Flat that fits in the small storage place in the trunk, and off we go.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 12:37 AM   #9
petro1head
Private
Rep

Cheers guys, my concern with the Michelin is the wet weather grip. We get quite a bit of the wet stuff in the UK
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 08:20 AM   #10
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I believe the PSS is actually very good in wet, especially in its category.

As long as the temperature is 45 fahrenheit or higher.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 08:26 AM   #11
petro1head
Private
Rep

45 F = 7 Cent

However for 6 months of the year we can go down to about -4C = 19 F
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #12
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro1head View Post
45 F = 7 Cent

However for 6 months of the year we can go down to about -4C = 19 F
You can't do summer tires then. They will turn into feeling like wooden wheels, not to mention the summer rubber can outright crack.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #13
TheFoz
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Lots of good info here but I'll +1 on the Pilot Super Sports.

For Winter you better have spare tires though since I cannot vouch for any Summer tire in the cold.

My WRX and Z4 both run em and the grip in all weather conditions is very good. The Z4 is extremely well planted with PSS tires and feels akin to a gokart when I stiffin up the suspension.

In the rain I drive normally and haven't ever felt like the car was hydroplaning.
As long as you keep it safe these tires are fine in the rain.
I just wouldn't reccomend doing too many overboost launches.

For street usage the PSS tires are overkill.

For emergencies I bought a cheap can of slime off amazon for under $20 and I store it in the ski pass through which it fits inside quite snugly.

Cons:
Unless you granny your car don't expect to get much more then 15,000 miles on your tires. I do mostly highway but I defiantly abuse them whenever I can and the tire wear shows.

My old thread on tires and wheels:
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010218
      07-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #14
instantfob
Car ADD
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 530e PHEV

PSS is designed with Dual-tread compound.

The outside is for dry grip and cornering with carbon black-reinforced compound on the outer shoulder.
The inside portion of the tire is specifically designed for wet with extra silica (aka fancy sand in tire industry speak).

If you are talking about near freezing temp 6 months at a time then you should look at a set of winters or at least all seasons with sunflower oil infused rubber. (they keep the rubbers soft during extreme cold temps)
Past: 85 Corolla GT-S / 98 MB ML320 / 06 S2000 / 08 EVO X MR / 11 G37S 6MT / 12 MBZ E350 Bluetec / 13 BMW ActiveHybrid5 / 14 MBZ E350 / 14 Smart Electric Drive / 15 BMW i3 BEV / 16 MB GLE350 / 15 Z4 35is / 17 BMW 330e / 18 Jag E-Pace
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 11:28 AM   #15
petro1head
Private
Rep

I ended up getting the Goodyears and very happy with them. Car is more comfortable, better grip and better turn in
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #16
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Cheers guys, my concern with the Michelin is the wet weather grip. We get quite a bit of the wet stuff in the UK
Looks like you purchased already but wanted to reiterate the PSS wet grip is very good (it's the key advantage of PSS over more aggressive tires, in my opinion)

Glad you like the next tires; congrats
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #17
chekham
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 SDrive 23i

Quote:
I ended up getting the Goodyears and very happy with them. Car is more comfortable, better grip and better turn in
Did you get the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2?
If so, what's your opinion about them? I am planning to buy them very soon. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 02:21 AM   #18
petro1head
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chekham View Post
Did you get the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2?
If so, what's your opinion about them? I am planning to buy them very soon. Thanks!
I got the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3.

Compared to the fun flats they are more compliant and quieter. Grip level is hard to tell as I have points on my licence so being careful at the mo
Appreciate 1
Rickg30.00