New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-20-2018, 09:23 PM   #23
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Fuck this douche.

Im up in those canyons fairly often, so this hits home.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 10:07 PM   #24
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

This is why I stopped doing canyon runs and took my needs to the track.
jonahk705.00
      03-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #25
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLCZ4MC View Post
I still would take the video and evidences to a local sheriff department. Even if they don't do any charges. I do not think this guy will stop been a douche until karma hits! Hopefully it does not involve others when that happen.
We have a friend in the local sheriff's department. Interagency relations aren't what it used to be, but he's promised to pass along the information to the local CHP. I suppose they'll take a request to investigate from a sheriff more than they'll pay heed to a couple of ordinary citizens.

This isn't over by a long shot. I'm contacting various media outlets to get the story out too. Hopefully it'll save a few lives and educate others on the dangers of crossing the double yellow.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 2
Ickdeep5718.50
      03-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #26
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Jeece, glad you're alright HACK!
Thanks. Gravity of the situation didn't take hold until I got home and reviewed the footage. At the time I knew it was a close call but it all happened so fast that instinct took over.

When I looked at the dash cam footage a cold chill ran up my spine. Either one of us could have been dead. None of you would be reading this.

I think I used up one of my 9 lives on Sunday.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 4
jgoens3787.50
NickyC17470.50
Ickdeep5718.50
Viffermike1753.00
      03-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #27
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

no clear license plate image = they wont be able to do shit, he can just claim it wasn't his car
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #28
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Don't give up on outing this idiot. Even if the police do nothing, social media can make him wish he wasn't caught being such a twat!
      03-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #29
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Hey, Hack - I fully support what you’re trying to do with the butthead in the Subaru, but when you’re dealing with the media, you may get more than you asked for. A casual observer of your video may say the camera car is also at fault. Was it speeding? A TV station or the LEOs can easily calculate its actual speed from the video. Regardless of whether you’re speeding or not, having this video on the local news could cause enough public outcry that the LEOs will be forced to increase their patrols there. I can see the story now with all the sensationalist “What ifs?” What if a family on vacation in their station wagon got hit head on by the Subaru and people were killed? What if the Subaru crashed and sparked a wildfire? What if, “It’s time we crack down on all this illegal and deadly racing in the hills?” The possibilities are endless (and ridiculous). You may find yourself on the defensive, even though you’re the victim - or, at least, the one suffering the consequences of someone else’s idiocy.

Unfortunately, too often in the eyes of today’s media, it’s not a matter of being right or wrong - it becomes a situation of wrong and wronger, and everyone gets nailed because it’s a “better” story. So, please be careful out there - in more ways than just behind the wheel.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2018, 12:42 PM   #30
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Lol @ picking on an Abarth in an STI.

I also went through his Instagram. Comments are entertaining on his most recent video.
What did he say?

I’d rather the car community handle him - seriously no violence - than get the police involved.
BTW I’ve been in other countries where this kind of driving is common, it’s crazy but in those places the driving public seems nonchalant.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 12:54 PM   #31
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Leave the canyon carving to canyon carvers. STIs belong on dirt roads rallying.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 03:27 PM   #32
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Seems like the type of dude who pours all his money into his little rice rocket. It's all he's got in life.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #33
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
What did he say?

I’d rather the car community handle him - seriously no violence - than get the police involved.
BTW I’ve been in other countries where this kind of driving is common, it’s crazy but in those places the driving public seems nonchalant.
He hasn’t said anything. His most recent Instagram posts are full of people calling him an idiot and threatening him. Doesn’t look like he’s responded to any of it. If this video gets more exposure, I think he may shut his account down eventually.
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2018, 08:42 PM   #34
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
What did he say?

Agreed. Hopefully, no one takes this too far & gets physical with the kid. Just scare some sense into him. No need to ruin his life.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2018, 08:48 PM   #35
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

So bottom line, no harm done. Copy vid and give to folks that wear badges and guns, if you really feel the need. Count your blessings and move on.
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE4658.00
      03-21-2018, 10:17 PM   #36
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
So bottom line, no harm done. Copy vid and give to folks that wear badges and guns, if you really feel the need. Count your blessings and move on.
No harm by pure luck and skill of the OP. If you think this kind of driving is OK, then you are also part of the problem!
      03-21-2018, 10:25 PM   #37
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Its all relative. No harm done, move on with life.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 10:45 PM   #38
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
Its all relative. No harm done, move on with life.
So that next time we get to talk about how someone in an STI killed someone head-on?
      03-21-2018, 10:56 PM   #39
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
So that next time we get to talk about how someone in an STI killed someone head-on?
Exactly. That attitude is why texting and driving is such a scourge!
      03-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #40
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
No harm by pure luck and skill of the OP. If you think this kind of driving is OK, then you are also part of the problem!
We all make mistakes. Unless you know the STI kid IRL, you don't have the full story just like the rest of us. No one is saying what he did was ok.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 08:15 AM   #41
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

So just a few thoughts. I for one don't have a social media presence other than this forum so all this "outing" is meaningless to many folks. The fact that he may be getting threats on his page can be dealt with by deleting his page but there is the reality that someone may take that farther. The police likely won't be able to or unwilling to charge him based on your video but they can certainly take what you've got including the stills and talk to the guy. He may deny it, or he may do a mea culpa. Regardless he would know that when you behave badly nowadays you're likely to get caught on a video somewhere.

I for one find this whole social media shaming to be a bit over the top not unlike #metoo and other similar things. The OP had a right to be pissed but where's the line on what's the appropriate level of response, some might say flip the guy the bird and others want his head on a platter.

Just my two cents folks.
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2018, 08:39 AM   #42
jlo0109
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: feet

Bump this for taking down the douchebag.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 08:47 AM   #43
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
So just a few thoughts. I for one don't have a social media presence other than this forum so all this "outing" is meaningless to many folks. The fact that he may be getting threats on his page can be dealt with by deleting his page but there is the reality that someone may take that farther. The police likely won't be able to or unwilling to charge him based on your video but they can certainly take what you've got including the stills and talk to the guy. He may deny it, or he may do a mea culpa. Regardless he would know that when you behave badly nowadays you're likely to get caught on a video somewhere.

I for one find this whole social media shaming to be a bit over the top not unlike #metoo and other similar things. The OP had a right to be pissed but where's the line on what's the appropriate level of response, some might say flip the guy the bird and others want his head on a platter.

Just my two cents folks.
I would not bet on cops not doing anything. I test drove a C7Z last year & the salesman was so used to selling his lame Buicks that he freaked out when I got on the loud pedal. What did he do? Must have had a friend in the local PD because he called them & I got bs tickets in the mail. I had to go to court several times & ultimately had to pay lots of $ in fines & for my lawyer for bs that did not happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #44
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
I would not bet on cops not doing anything. I test drove a C7Z last year & the salesman was so used to selling his lame Buicks that he freaked out when I got on the loud pedal. What did he do? Must have had a friend in the local PD because he called them & I got bs tickets in the mail. I had to go to court several times & ultimately had to pay lots of $ in fines & for my lawyer for bs that did not happen.
After a 30+ year career in law enforcement I was making the point that the case would likely be difficult to move forward as the evidence is although compelling it is circumstantial, the vehicle is possibly the same but the driver can't be identified which is who committed the offence (not the vehicle). You got tickets because the salesmen identified you. But who knows, if the guy admitted to it they may proceed with charges.
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5718.50