New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #23
nickm9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i - Alpine White

This is the best argument for leaving the car the frick alone and keeping it as OEM as possible
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #24
san4ever
Sweden
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Update to the Turbos and DCT ruined.

Well, the DCT rattling noise turned out to be the final bearing at the drive shaft side had one ball in the final bearing worned out. The workshop who repaired my gearbox concluded that it was not because of increased power rather a malfunctioning ball bearing.

As to a week ago I am also running with the ESS tuning stage 1 and I can tell that it is a huge difference for the DCT who now engages very smooth and fine. With the JB4 it was sometimes very hard and unpleasant gear changes and it probably was no good for the DCT. As I have been told the ESS software works together with the DCT software and use the stock torque control for not over powering the gearbox. The JB4 obviously does not have this function.

I highly recommend all DCT owners to go with ESS tuning software.

http://www.hellhopp.se/
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #25
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Great news san4ever! I was about to ask you for an update, and I am very happy to see you got much better results with ESS!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #26
san4ever
Sweden
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjørn View Post
Im not sure if JB4 runs higher boost than ESS stg2, but it is certainly "interesting" to hear about at DCT being replaced not because it slips but because of this rattling noise. Due to your experience I switched back to to ESS stg1 yesterday, just in case I still want to keep the car past 100.000kms (more or less 35is power figures and still a ton of fun to drive).
Well,
yesterday I tested ESS stage 2 but can honestly say I did not notice any major difference in power. I did notice a very unpleasant jerkyness between gears 1 and 2, maybe due to the increased torque. For now I am going with stage 1 and the cars runs very smooth and powerful.

I guess stage 2 needs other modifications as well such as larger FMIC and/or catless down pipes.

For no I am running with ESS stage 1 and I am very pleased with the power and softness in gear changes. The following weekend I will mount my Stett Intercooler with Dual diverter valves and will then test stage 2 to see if there is any difference in power.

http://www.hellhopp.se/
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #27
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by san4ever View Post
Well,
yesterday I tested ESS stage 2 but can honestly say I did not notice any major difference in power. I did notice a very unpleasant jerkyness between gears 1 and 2, maybe due to the increased torque.
Not normal! I got back on stage 2 as my brother was visiting from Scandinavia two weeks ago, and its smooth as silk with my DCT. I get a lot of wheel spin, but no unpleasant jerks between any gears. I would have this checked before installing more mods!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #28
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

it sounds like we will be running a similar set up: ESS Stage 1, Stett FMIC, Stett charge pipe and diverter valves, + I have Eisenmann race exhaust and AR DPs with race cats. the car is a very smooth and powerful machine without being ridiculous. I honestly cannot imagine needing more power - I am hopeful that this "modest" level of power improvement will not harm the car
Appreciate 0