New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
clydebmwz4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Mixed RFT Front & Rear Problem

I had the 18" stock setup for almost 55000km with Bridgestone RFTs. I didn't use my car on the track with these and was happy with the mileage I got.

Recently while on a roadtrip, I had to change the rear tyres and since Bridgestone RFTs were not available I opted for the Michelin PSS RFTs on the rear. I was told that my front tyres were fine and didn't need changing.

This means that I now have 2 Michelin PSS RFTs on the rear and 2 Bridgestone RFTs on the front. Handling in rainy conditions has improved however the car "feels" strange when speeding over 140km/h in normal conditions and especially when driving in curves. The car feels wobbly/slippery in bends and sometimes the yellow sign turns on showing that the traction control has been activated.

The tyres have been balanced and aligned but I never had such problems before. What do you reckon is the problem? Should I change the front RFTs to Michelin to to have the same tyre thread?

I'm on holiday at the moment so I won't be able to take it in for a checkup before mid august. The ride is fine otherwise. What's your take? Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Usually it's not necessary to have 4 of the same tread pattern, but maybe in this case it is. something about the way the 2 pairs of treads are interacting. Unless there is a problem with the mounting of the rears.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I don't believe pilot super sport are available in a "zero pressure" version. Might want to check the sidewall to validate what you've purchased.

Also could be worth doing some basic checks to validate tire pressure is correct and there hasn't been a mistake such as putting them on in the wrong direction.

Best of luck sorting this out!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

Here in the UK it is illegal to mix run-flats with non-runflats. In fact all fitters refuse point blank to mix on any axle.It also invalidates your insurance.
I agree that tread pattern should make little difference but tyre compounds could...... I think as stated it is worth checking that you have run-flats on all four wheels.
If you don't then you could have a real handling problem???????
Appreciate 0