New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #45
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Costanza View Post
At $700 for a set of rear tires I don't plan on trying it any time soon.

Anyone know if these things have e-diffs or an LSD? Both rears always get lit up?
Firstly, in China four new impotenzas are around USD 2400, but they should be the last tires you consider having on your Z4.

Secondly, this car is twice the fun with the rear end sliding around.

And thirdly, it has an e-diff, and yes both rears lit most of the time. I think the only time I had one wheel spinning briefly alone was while driving with DSC off, going straight on a very slippery road in heavy rain.

I have had a ton of fun drifting in this car, and I still haven't reached the level of mastery where I am missing an LSD. For my use it would probably just mean more under-steer most of the time. I think, when you get to that stage, where you really need an LSD, you will be missing a handbrake and more narrow/slippery/cheap rear tires as well. All in all I would use a cheaper and older car if I really wanted to learn all of the various ways of getting a car sideways. Because at some point I would likely crash. I have already spun out a few times, and I thank any god that wants to listen that I didn't hit anything.

For now, power over-steer is all the fun I need, and for that the e-diff is fine. What I hate more about this diff is how it is slowly becoming more loose and makes this light banging noise when the engine changes from de-accelerating to accelerating and vice versa (I am at 55.000km now). My previous 330d torque monster had the same problem.

Does anyone know if the diff oil takes longer to heat up than the engine oil? I guess using launch control with a cold diff is not a good idea either.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #46
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Drifting until the diff breaks. Well done!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #47
Innovative AutoConcepts
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 E89 Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav5125 View Post
Ok here's how it goes...

1. put in manual mode (for those who have dct)
2. put in sport +
3. press brake
4. floor the throttle. the engine speed will be establish (i think the rpm will hold at some number). Then in the instrument panel will show a little checked flag.
5. let go of the brake but keep the accelerator floored. (gearbox will shift up automatically).

(as long as you've keep flooring the throttle then launch control will kick in. The idea is for this to work you have to floor it)

Just don't do it too many times. Will be nice to try out though.
The engine has to be warm though, you can't launch if the engine is not fully warm. =]
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #48
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Drifting until the diff breaks. Welcome to heaven!
There you go, i fixed your post haha. Thanks for the launch comparison numbers earlierBTW
Appreciate 0