New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-03-2009, 06:14 AM   #23
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK bimmer View Post
We are talking about one touch roof open/close, like my old CLK, not open/close the roof with the speed of car below 50 km/h, as achieved by Audi and Porsche.

Anyway, I do want to know if there is any report that an S5 cab or a 911/Boxster cabriolet got their top damaged while their owners operate the roof when the car is in motion.

Do you mean Audi or Porsche possesses more advanced technologies compared to BMW, so as to prevent its happening?

Dear, I am a BMW supporter. I don't want to accept this.....
Do any of the cars that allow the top to close while moving have the hard top? The hard top requires the trunk to open up which would cause a huge drag problem.

Maybe BMW is not willing to risk the potential issues, crash risks, and possible lawsuits if they allowed that.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #24
mav5125
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

The key reason why the open/close is not enabled on the z4 is not because of a technical reason that i can't be done. It can be.

The reason is that there is alot of countries there are laws prohibiting the rear break light from being obstructed or covered, and for good reason.

So since the central brake light on the z4 is not visible for a while, while the top is being opened/closed it doesn't meet the laws of the country (of which Australia is one of them).

Having said that, the owner can still install the mod. If the manufacturer can't do it doesn't me we can do it after market.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #25
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

That's interesting they require the car to be at rest for the top to work, on my 1 vert it will open and close up to 25 mph or so.

This mod sounds like the SmartTop mod we have available for the 1s, I'd be all over having something like that if my car was set up the like new Zed.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #26
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
I think all this "auto feature" stuff is just plain laziness OR just want to be "cool" and "showy" to get some attention while the vehicle is mobile. LOL. My reason would be the later. ;-)

My M roadster will not move unless it is stopped, but then again, my top drops quickly. On my previous 650 Cabrio I can drop top while mobile below 20mls. Can't wait to get my 2010 Z-35i, coming end of October.
      09-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #27
jpapg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwwong View Post
Just received the installation manual from reinhold-engineering, here is how the module works:

"The module's functional scope and operation:
clwwong, can U please upload the installation manual ?
I really need to check out if this is an easy DIY installation.

Thanx
      09-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #28
clwwong
Private
Rep
Drives: cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpapg View Post

Thanx
Sure
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 04:28 AM   #29
rasputin
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

This looks really cool, I will surely order for my new Z4 when I receive it. Two questions:

1. Can anyone explain (or have a photo of) how this module looks like and where it is installed?
2. Is the installation too technical?
3. Any chance of creating a problem with the car that won't be covered by the 3 year warranty?
4. Does having access comfort option matter or not (I am just finalizing which options to order).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 06:44 AM   #30
kylemanta
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 435GC / 18 440GC

Ordered

I'm not interested in the module to open/close the roof while in motion. Call me lazy, but I prefer not to have to hold the button on the dash or the remote. I've ordered the module and will receive it this week.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #31
clwwong
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemanta View Post
I'm not interested in the module to open/close the roof while in motion. Call me lazy, but I prefer not to have to hold the button on the dash or the remote. I've ordered the module and will receive it this week.
Let us know how it goes after install.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #32
clwwong
Private
Rep

Quote:

Thanx
here u go
Attached Images
File Type: pdf EBA_BMW_Z4_E89_eng.pdf (524.7 KB, 494 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #33
rasputin
Private
Switzerland
Rep

it does look pretty complicated to me.. kylemanta - let us know how your installation goes.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #34
HK bimmer
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Convertible

Quote:
here u go
Do you think any workshop in Hong Kong will do it for me?
I think operation of the roof while the car is moving SLOWLY is a must. Traffic in HK is slow; and the rain just comes suddenly. I can't stop the car in the middle of the busy Gloucester Road. It's simply dangerous!!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #35
clwwong
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK bimmer View Post
Do you think any workshop in Hong Kong will do it for me?
I think operation of the roof while the car is moving SLOWLY is a must. Traffic in HK is slow; and the rain just comes suddenly. I can't stop the car in the middle of the busy Gloucester Road. It's simply dangerous!!
The installation seems easy, and you don't need to disconnect the battery during installation. I think it is not hard to find someone to install it, but no one will guarantee the installation.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #36
jpapg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The installation seems easy, and you don't need to disconnect the battery during installation. I think it is not hard to find someone to install it, but no one will guarantee the installation.

Im gonna do it myself. I already purchased the unit and Im gonna try it.
I asked them if it would be better to disconnect the battery and they told me it's not necessary because you don't have to strip the power cables (in order to power the module). They provide these crimp connectors and you simply push 'em using a common plier tool. But you must be careful cause the power cables in the roof connector are under voltage even when the ignition is off.

I'll be back with more news.
      09-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #37
clwwong
Private
Rep

Quote:
Im gonna do it myself. I already purchased the unit and Im gonna try it.
I asked them if it would be better to disconnect the battery and they told me it's not necessary because you don't have to strip the power cables (in order to power the module). They provide these crimp connectors and you simply push 'em using a common plier tool. But you must be careful cause the power cables in the roof connector are under voltage even when the ignition is off.

I'll be back with more news.
Great! Keep us update!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #38
jpapg
Enlisted Member
Rep

More news for the roof module:
Installation was very easy, but you have to take your time cause it's a new car.
Operation as prescribed except for ... and here come the bad news:
When you press the unlock key in your remote just to open the doors (one single press), the module mysteriously continues and opens windows and subsequently the roof.
All other functions work OK.
Im really disappointed, cause this is really annoying.
I emailed them and they asked me if the car has comfort access and what's the engine type. Right now I've disabled the module using the central window switch and Im waiting for their answer.

Really big disappointment ...
What else can I say ...
      09-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #39
rasputin
Private
Switzerland
Rep

thanks for the update jpapg, let us know the developments!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #40
jpapg
Enlisted Member
Rep

More news:
They emailed me today, saying that another customer with a Z4 has a similar problem. In 2 weeks they will have his car at the workshop to take measurements and do checks.
My opinion is that their product is in development phase yet (at least for the E89) and needs more adjustments. But that's something they don't say at their site when you place the order.
So my advice would be: DON'T BUY IT
      10-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #41
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

No doubt your correct, they used you (a little bit).

But the flip side is your story is actually refreshing (to me anyway). They agree with you the function your talking about: 1) is unintended, 2) it's a problem they want and are willing to try to fix, 3) they are telling what's going on and how they are trying to fix it.

I spent over 3 hours on the phone yesterday dealing with a huge company's bureaucracy here in the US, all of which was designed to wear me out so I would give up and go away.

All total, I ended up dealing with at least 10 different (maybe more, I lost count) some rude, one lied, a couple pretended to be helpful, and finally, I was able to persuade one key individual of how customer service was supposed to work, and he bridged the gap.

Don't give up on your company - yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #42
rasputin
Private
Switzerland
Rep

hey jpapg,

any news about your roof module? I hope they can fix the issue with E89 with Comfort Access asap, as this will be the first thing I will order once I receive my car (hopefully next week).
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #43
jpapg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
hey jpapg,

any news about your roof module? I hope they can fix the issue with E89 with Comfort Access asap, as this will be the first thing I will order once I receive my car (hopefully next week).
Nothing yet ... They told me that they're working on it, and they will offer a free upgrade when it's done. Im still waiting ...
      11-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #44
jpapg
Enlisted Member
Rep

GOOD news:

The emailed me today, saying that they found a workaround for the problem. They already sent a new unit to a guy in Germany with the same problem for testing and they offer me a charge-free reprogramming.

As long as they confirm that the new programming has solved the problem, I will send them my old unit for reprogramming.

For a moment the frustration left, but I will wait until I install the new unit and put it through the test.