New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
greggk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 35is

Where to Buy/Install New Tires. LA Area

After lots of research here, I'm ready for the Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my 2012 Z4 with the 326 19 inch wheels. Rear original runs-flats are almost gone at 26,000 miles but I want to replace all 4 at once.

A few questions:

I'm in the Los Angeles area.

1 Best places to buy these tires?

2 Best places to install? I've taken all of my other family cars to Costco in the past and they seem fine....but....I'm more sensitive with my Z4

I'm paranoid about the wheels getting scratched...other things going wrong during the change process so I want to go with the most reliable places. Is tire changing relatively straightforward and I'm worrying about nothing? Or are some places much better than others? My dealer was my first choice but they wont install anything but the OEM Run Flats.

Finally, although the ride is stiff, I l do love the cosmetic thinness of the Bridgestone runflats. Are the PSS's thicker? or the same?

Thank in advance for your responses

Gregg
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 06:44 PM   #2
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

If you can get the PSS at Costco, I would. A few months ago I decided to replace the original RFTs with Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position from Costco. I don't remember now whether they offered the PSS in my area, but I had already decided that the Bridgestone seemed to represent a better value than the Michelins. Anyway, not only did Costco do an excellent job installing (I kind of let them know I was going to be checking the rims for damage after they finished), but when I picked up a large screw in the R/R 2500 miles later, they didn't hesitate to replace it free of charge under their road hazard warranty (which, BTH, I'm pretty sure they told me at time of purchase they could not honor because I was switching from RFT to non-RFT!).
With regard to your second question, a low profile tire is a low profile tire regardless of type or brand. The size makes the profile what it is, not whether it's a RFT or not. And you won't believe the difference in ride quality with a non-RFT tire, especially a 19". Quit hesitating and "just do it!"
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 11:48 PM   #3
Bleen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 35i

I usually shop online, find the cheapest price, print it, then take it to america's tire and have them install. They price match.

Alternative, T&J Tires in Hawthorne did a jaw dropping job on my old SLK, looked like they were working on an F1 car... so fast, I did it during lunch and watched the whole thing.
      03-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #4
instantfob
Car ADD
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 530e PHEV

Buy from Tirerack.com (free 2 years of road hazard)
then call ASAPTire to have them come to your house to install.

Easy.
Past: 85 Corolla GT-S / 98 MB ML320 / 06 S2000 / 08 EVO X MR / 11 G37S 6MT / 12 MBZ E350 Bluetec / 13 BMW ActiveHybrid5 / 14 MBZ E350 / 14 Smart Electric Drive / 15 BMW i3 BEV / 16 MB GLE350 / 15 Z4 35is / 17 BMW 330e / 18 Jag E-Pace
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 12:13 AM   #5
t612
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X3 M40

Garage List
America's Tire Center. I've used them for over a decade. They are every where, price matches (including Costco prices), free flat repair, and free wheel balance. I don't believe Michelin makes PSS run flats for our 19" tire size. If they do, they are the best. My wife's 535 are shod with those.
2005 Yamaha R6
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #6
transmit
Rep
Drives: 2015 Z4 sDrive 28i

Note: Costco will NOT install non-run flats on a car that ships standard with run flats unless you also have a tire repair kit and air pump in the car. I paid ~$900 at Costco for a full set of Michelin PSS tires for my Z4 to replace the run flats. They had to special order them and when they arrived and I went in to have them installed, only then did they inform me that they would NOT install non-run flat tires on the Z4 unless I had a tire pump and repair kit and could show it to them. I begged and yelled and talked to the manager and there was no way they would do it, it's company policy. They ended up refunding me the money for the tires and I went to Pep Boys instead, who had no issues installing the tires for me. The Costco I went to is the one in Glendale on Los Feliz Blvd. Don't buy your tires at Costco unless you install them somewhere else! The Pep Boys I went to is also in Glendale on San Fernando Rd and they did a good job, although the guy didn't use the right air pressure and luckily the TPS system caught it. The installation is not that big a deal for an experienced shop but they do need to have the special equipment for removing and installing run flats, they are much more difficult than regular tires to get on/off your rims.

Note: PSS tires ride much better than the stock Bridgestone run-flats and look great too. Steering response doesn't seem as crisp but the handling is still good and the ride difference is night and day.

Last edited by transmit; 03-29-2016 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
instantfob
Car ADD
United_States
Rep

I had my PSS installed at Costco of Van Nuys.

I wonder if you could have gone into the warehouse and buy one of those fix a flat kit so that they mount it. I love Costco for the road hazard policy.

I have this in the trunk.

Past: 85 Corolla GT-S / 98 MB ML320 / 06 S2000 / 08 EVO X MR / 11 G37S 6MT / 12 MBZ E350 Bluetec / 13 BMW ActiveHybrid5 / 14 MBZ E350 / 14 Smart Electric Drive / 15 BMW i3 BEV / 16 MB GLE350 / 15 Z4 35is / 17 BMW 330e / 18 Jag E-Pace
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #8
instantfob
Car ADD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t612 View Post
America's Tire Center. I've used them for over a decade. They are every where, price matches (including Costco prices), free flat repair, and free wheel balance. I don't believe Michelin makes PSS run flats for our 19" tire size. If they do, they are the best. My wife's 535 are shod with those.
I am running MPSS in stock 19" sizes.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 01:50 PM   #9
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmit View Post
Note: Costco will NOT install non-run flats on a car that ships standard with run flats unless you also have a tire repair kit and air pump in the car. I paid ~$900 at Costco for a full set of Michelin PSS tires for my Z4 to replace the run flats. They had to special order them and when they arrived and I went in to have them installed, only then did they inform me that they would NOT install non-run flat tires on the Z4 unless I had a tire pump and repair kit and could show it to them. I begged and yelled and talked to the manager and there was no way they would do it, it's company policy. They ended up refunding me the money for the tires and I went to Pep Boys instead, who had no issues installing the tires for me. The Costco I went to is the one in Glendale on Los Feliz Blvd. Don't buy your tires at Costco unless you install them somewhere else! The Pep Boys I went to is also in Glendale on San Fernando Rd and they did a good job, although the guy didn't use the right air pressure and luckily the TPS system caught it. The installation is not that big a deal for an experienced shop but they do need to have the special equipment for removing and installing run flats, they are much more difficult than regular tires to get on/off your rims.

Note: PSS tires ride much better than the stock Bridgestone run-flats and look great too. Steering response doesn't seem as crisp but the handling is still good and the ride difference is night and day.
If it's company policy, it's not universally enforced. Even in Calif. where we both live! I had a set of Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position installed at my local Costco about 5 months ago and the only mention of the switch from RFT to non-RFT was that the road hazard warranty would not be honored. Ironically, when I picked up a bolt in the R/R 2500 miles later that was too near the edge to repair, they just replaced it FOC without hesitation. BTW, I carry the same slime seal/pump kit as instafob above. $40 at Pep Boys. Hella cheaper than Conti kit!
Appreciate 0