New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-31-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
night199uk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: frari

Retrofit BlueTooth/6FL - BimmerNav or Bimmer-Tech - steps involved?

I recently got a 2010 Z4 sDrive23i. Unfortunately, no-one in Hong Kong seems to install options in bimmers due to the new car tax it seems. So I want to retrofit Bluetooth and 6FL. This car has no pre-wiring being based on the Euro models and doesn't have the newer HU which has BT & USB from what I read on the 1er forums.

I've been in contact with BMW who want a stupid amount to retrofit (around 2000 euros or more), and also BimmerTech and BimmerNav who seem more reasonable and recommend on these forums.

So I'm wondering if anyone has done a BimmerTech or BimmerNav install on a Z4 E89 and would have pictures or more background on the steps involved or even an install manual? Both told me it was simple but I don't have any clarity around whats required from their kits yet.

All of the details on the 'net seem to be for 3-series, E90s especially. For those it seems we fit a ULF/TCU/MULF in the trunk and run a harness to the front of the car when no prewiring is available, plus cable the Mic - in the Z4 the Mic is in the dash I'm led to believe so I think I need a new trim piece there too. Other guides for the 1er seem to suggest replacing the HU with a newer BT & USB compatible one, but that seems to have coding woes in some cases.

Really keen to find someone thats done this with one of the above kits before I blow out the cash with one of the companies. Anyone out there done this?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 02:51 AM   #2
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Hi,

I tried previously to retrofit the BT module. BMWHK told me that this cannot be done on my car (Z4 35 W/iDrive)
I looked in several places and I was told that I need BMW to code the iDrive once the installation is done... So basically, after 6 months of search, I gave up on the idea and went and bought FISCON. Not really what the OEM BT system does, but the easiest to install and without the need to recode.

If you come across a better way of retrofitting, please share with me the info. Tks
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
night199uk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Shark
Hi,

I tried previously to retrofit the BT module. BMWHK told me that this cannot be done on my car (Z4 35 W/iDrive)
I looked in several places and I was told that I need BMW to code the iDrive once the installation is done... So basically, after 6 months of search, I gave up on the idea and went and bought FISCON. Not really what the OEM BT system does, but the easiest to install and without the need to recode.

If you come across a better way of retrofitting, please share with me the info. Tks
When did you ask BMW? They have official retrofits now, but maybe not for iDrive cars. I've done too much reading about this now and I think they would have one for you. But the prices are stupid ($12k for me + $10k installation). Might be less if you already have a Combox with iDrive. Not sure.

BimmerTech and BimmerNav (on these forums) sell original BMW part installs of the Combox it seems but require manual installation unless I can find an installer that wants to take it on in Hong Kong. I got the install instructions from BimmerNav in the end - besides drilling a couple of small holes in the glovebox for mounting it looks reasonable from what I read so far. They do remote coding for the car. If I go this route I'm thinking to invest in an ICOM or K+DCAN anyway so I can code it myself.

Definitely not interested in FISCON or Parrot, I'm too anal about my car :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I looked into this a while ago for my last E90 and there was no way around it. Parts were expensive and install was very involved. I just used a Bluetooth ear piece

Also, for what it is worth, the OEM bluetooth in my E89 35i is not very good even with the top up because of all the road noise.

Personally, I don't think it is worth the time and money to retrofit this.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post

Also, for what it is worth, the OEM bluetooth in my E89 35i is not very good even with the top up because of all the road noise.

Personally, I don't think it is worth the time and money to retrofit this.
Really? It works splendidly in my 2012 35is. So much so that my wife can't tell when I am in my car. She once said something embarrassingly sexual when I had an acquaintance in the car. She did not know she was on speaker.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #6
night199uk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, I want to keep everything OEM. I've used Bluetooth in an E89 and I'm okay with it. I've decided I want to go this way, the problem now is to work out the best way to do it at a decent price. So far I have this:
BMW: $12,000 HKD parts/$10,000 labour (BlueTooth) + $2,700 parts/$1,700 labour (USB)
BimmerTech/BimmerNav: 899 Euros ish parts for USB and BlueTooth.

My concern right now is BimmerTech & BimmerNav have different installs. BimmerTech quote they want to put a MULF in the trunk and BimmerNav quote they will put a Combox in the glove compartment. Both of those can't be genuine BMW installs. I want to keep everything as OEM as possible.

I'd love to get my hands on EBAs for the Z4 E89 so I can find out exactly how the BMW retrofit kit is supposed to be fitted. Does anyone here have access to the EBAs that can help send me a couple? If you already have the OEM BlueTooth kit in your Z4, can you tell me where the combox or mulf is located? Trunk or Glovebox?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by night199uk View Post
When did you ask BMW? They have official retrofits now, but maybe not for iDrive cars. I've done too much reading about this now and I think they would have one for you. But the prices are stupid ($12k for me + $10k installation). Might be less if you already have a Combox with iDrive. Not sure.

BimmerTech and BimmerNav (on these forums) sell original BMW part installs of the Combox it seems but require manual installation unless I can find an installer that wants to take it on in Hong Kong. I got the install instructions from BimmerNav in the end - besides drilling a couple of small holes in the glovebox for mounting it looks reasonable from what I read so far. They do remote coding for the car. If I go this route I'm thinking to invest in an ICOM or K+DCAN anyway so I can code it myself.

Definitely not interested in FISCON or Parrot, I'm too anal about my car :-)
Thanks for the info... I approached BMW 9 months ago or so...
I will be calling the parts department tomorrow to see what they have for me.
What I know is my car is not pre-wired, so this will certainly add up some extra cost, but most importantly, it would mean that I will need a recoding...
I am not worried about warrantee, as my car is fully loaded (tuned...) which means I have already lost the warrantee at many levels and parts.

I don't mind installing it myself, but looking at BMWNav photos, I noticed that their module is made in Bulgaria, so it is not a BMW OEM... What I don't want is pay the thousand dollars so and few months later find out, that this I can't do and that I can't do... Etc.... For example, messaging/voice controlling, etc...

I am more likely would go the OEM route... Will ask them to sell me the BT kit + Combo, I will install it, they will recode it for me and I void the warrantee... Well see what they have to say...
On thing I know is these guys work by the book and they are not open minded at all....will see...

Plz keep me informed, I might start seeing a light at the end of the tunnel here!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
night199uk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah, my car is not pre-wired either because its Euro spec not US spec, so a little more work. The worst worry about the work for me is actually the visible stuff, drilling any holes and removing things like the carpet and glove box, as I've never done much car work before. But running cables, soldering and electronics I'm okay with so thats fine.

Where did you see BMWNav photos? BimmerTech & BimmerNav both claim OEM parts on their websites I believe. Let me know how you go with yours, some pics would really help me.

I wonder if we can get the EBAs for the Bluetooth Retrofit kit?
BTW, this is the kit you want I think:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&hg=84&fg=95
and maybe this:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...32&hg=84&fg=95
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #9
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, my car is not pre-wired either because its Euro spec not US spec, so a little more work. The worst worry about the work for me is actually the visible stuff, drilling any holes and removing things like the carpet and glove box, as I've never done much car work before. But running cables, soldering and electronics I'm okay with so thats fine.

Where did you see BMWNav photos? BimmerTech & BimmerNav both claim OEM parts on their websites I believe. Let me know how you go with yours, some pics would really help me.

I wonder if we can get the EBAs for the Bluetooth Retrofit kit?
BTW, this is the kit you want I think:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&hg=84&fg=95
and maybe this:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...32&hg=84&fg=95
I will be dropping by BMWHK late this pm after work to inquire about what they have for me in BT retrofit.
Here is the photo.. I mistakenly said Bulgaria, it should have been Hungaria...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #10
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Well, BMWHK confirmed that they do not have any retrofit for my car... The sales part girl confirmed that by looking at my VIN, she is very positive that there is no retrofit BT module for my car.. Now go figure... lol

So I guess I am not going anywhere anytime soon... At least before I make sure why BimmerNav, etc.. can sell me an OEM module (if it is an OEM indeed) and the agent himself is saying no retrofit for my car (Not sure what it means anyway) other than something that has got to do with iDrive Coding maybe (???)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #11
night199uk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thats a genuine Combox you showed up above. I wonder why BMW aren't showing you the retro kit, did you see the link I posted? I wonder if it's to do with the lack of pre-wiring.

Anyway, maybe check out the E90 forums (thats where I've done most of my research), as the Z4 E89 is based on the E90 2000BN electrical system from what I understand.

Essentially even if BMW don't have an official retrofit kit for you, you can still retrofit the original OEM parts using spares, if you order the right ones. BimmerNav/BimmerTech just package up the spares for you with some harnesses that are hard to get from BMW or out of manufacture. A LOT of 3-series owners seem to have done this.

I can find a few people that have said they've done it in a Z4 E89 but can't find anyone that has pictures or documentation. Essentially no-one has done it usefully in an E89 Z4. Maybe I'll be the first. Am definitely going to do it though.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Thats a genuine Combox you showed up above. I wonder why BMW aren't showing you the retro kit, did you see the link I posted? I wonder if it's to do with the lack of pre-wiring.

Anyway, maybe check out the E90 forums (thats where I've done most of my research), as the Z4 E89 is based on the E90 2000BN electrical system from what I understand.

Essentially even if BMW don't have an official retrofit kit for you, you can still retrofit the original OEM parts using spares, if you order the right ones. BimmerNav/BimmerTech just package up the spares for you with some harnesses that are hard to get from BMW or out of manufacture. A LOT of 3-series owners seem to have done this.

I can find a few people that have said they've done it in a Z4 E89 but can't find anyone that has pictures or documentation. Essentially no-one has done it usefully in an E89 Z4. Maybe I'll be the first. Am definitely going to do it though.
So I emailed BimmerNav and sent them my VIN#; they came back to me with an available BT system for my car; it does support the USB module all in quoted including the wires is Euro 899 (HKD8,900).
I am still waiting for them to confirm if coding is needed.

Will keep you posted..
Why are you hesitating to get the system from BimmerNav or bimmerTech?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #13
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

BimmerNav confirmed that I need coding. Their tech will do it remotely. We are currently negotiating the payment mode (ie how to pay them)...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Here is where the BT module in our Z4...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
night199uk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Shark
Here is where the BT module in our Z4...
You may want to hold on. Since BimmerNav just give you the parts I've put together the parts lists myself and found a source in HK.

I think we'll be able to do it much cheaper than BimmerNav, plus a bit better (Combox instead of MULF). My parts cost is currently coming out around $5000 HKD, almost a $4000 saving.

Main cost right now is the ICOM head to re-code (instead of the DCAN cable) to ensure we can program new Combox's. Basically I'm thining to sink this as coding seems to be thin on the ground in HK and I'm thinking I can make it back by coding a few cars for a few dollars.

I'm going to order my parts as soon as the ICOM pricing comes back, hoping today.

Quite happy to be a guinea pig here, you want to work on it together so you can see how to do yours? I could do with someone that's pulled apart a BMW before too.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #16
night199uk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Btw, how did you remove the trunk liner? Any pictures on the removal process?

Depending on what you install (MULF or Combox) depends where it goes I think. New guides show Combox being fitted directly in the glove box (in E90s). The MULF2 goes in the trunk. I think you could also put the Combox in the trunk, as it is meant to be the same size as the MULF2. Since I can't find anyone that's documented this on an E89 yet I can't confirm if the Combox will fit the GC until I try it. Cabling will be significantly easier to the GC for the new loom we require.

Will share my parts list for review tonight when I get home.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #17
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

The picture I sent you is not mine. I took it from the forum.
I do not think I have this module MULF in my car, since it is not pre-wired.
I was trying to show you how BMW OEM is set, since in your first message, you were asking which way is the OEM way.
I have noticed one thing yesterday, while doing something completely different in the trunk. The E90 DSP is located on the left side of the trunk. I took off all the left side trunk liner and did not find the DSP.
From all the search I did, I think now the DSP is in the wall mount of the trunk opposit to the MULF module. If that is correct, this would mean, the Electrical diagram of the E89 is not the same as the one on the E90...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 02:59 AM   #18
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Btw, how did you remove the trunk liner? Any pictures on the removal process?

Depending on what you install (MULF or Combox) depends where it goes I think. New guides show Combox being fitted directly in the glove box (in E90s). The MULF2 goes in the trunk. I think you could also put the Combox in the trunk, as it is meant to be the same size as the MULF2. Since I can't find anyone that's documented this on an E89 yet I can't confirm if the Combox will fit the GC until I try it. Cabling will be significantly easier to the GC for the new loom we require.

Will share my parts list for review tonight when I get home.
I use a tweezer, you insert it gently to 1/2 pull the knob, and they it is easy to pull it out all the way without breaking anything.
I cannot fit a Combox in the Gloves compartment, I have my 6 Discs changer, which again, unlike the E90, it is not in the left side of the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 05:13 AM   #19
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Hi,

I contact BMW AG and BMW HK to clarify the combo versus the MULF. Basically, they are not the same. The combox is for added Internet and connecteddrive modules. The MULF is for audio and Telephone modules only.
If you buy the combox, you will need to have your iDrive (I don't know if that is true for Non-iDrive) updated. BMW HK confirmed that there is no update for the iDrive and that the connectdrive will only work in Germany and the US. They advised that they will soon have the connectdrive for non iDrive but not for the Z4.
I emailed bimmertech Nav and they confirmed if I want the Internet (Combox) I need to have my iDrive updated and they cannot do this remotely. Hence why BMW is offering both the combox and the URL thing...
Is that what you have as well??
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #20
night199uk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Shark View Post
I contact BMW AG and BMW HK to clarify the combo versus the MULF. Basically, they are not the same. The combox is for added Internet and connecteddrive modules. The MULF is for audio and Telephone modules only.
I think they're misrepresenting it? Heres the way I understood it from the forums. Probably some mistakes in here, but I'm 99% confident on this. The Combox is a newer version of the MULF2 (redesigned), and is fitted instead of the MULF to all cars after September 2010 as I understand it. The Combox comes in two variants, 'Combox Media' and 'Combox Telematiks'. The Combox Media seems to be the equiv of a MULF2, and the Combox Telematiks seems the equiv of a MULF2+TCU. With some new features thrown in just for the Combox (such as A2DP audio streaming for Bluetooth devices).

Quote:
If you buy the combox, you will need to have your iDrive (I don't know if that is true for Non-iDrive) updated. BMW HK confirmed that there is no update for the iDrive and that the connectdrive will only work in Germany and the US. They advised that they will soon have the connectdrive for non iDrive but not for the Z4.
Not sure I understand this. Besides, I've already established that BMW HK unfortunately couldn't tell their ass from their elbow :-( They told me the BMW Station wouldn't work in Hong Kong (wrong, just the Nav part doesn't work). They told me BT couldn't be retrofitted, etc, etc.

Quote:
I emailed bimmertech Nav and they confirmed if I want the Internet (Combox) I need to have my iDrive updated and they cannot do this remotely. Hence why BMW is offering both the combox and the URL thing...
Is that what you have as well??
What they're saying I believe is that the CIC (iDrive) will need to be coded to work with the Combox. That makes sense. Any coding / programming can be done with ICOM. I figured that the CIC coding required could be done with a K+DCAN cable too (i.e. remotely) but maybe not. I suspect you need the FSC codes to activate a couple of features. Let me research iDrive configurations a bit more - I don't have one myself. My plan is to retrofit CIC/iDrive etc after BT though if things go well and I get coding & programming down - so, this is worthwhile me researching.

I think it will become more clear once I get the ICOM head too and I can test coding/programming on my car.

Let me also ping one of the techs from the E90 forums and see if they would check out this thread to help.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #21
night199uk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Part Vendor V Vendor D
Common
61316950266 - Trim panel, steering column, top 220 250
61120137616 - Bluetooth Antenna cable 140 180
84316944144 - Microphone cover 30 30

MULF2:
84640443734 - Basic Bluetooth Hands-free kit 1060 1200
65410445465 - Retrofit kit - USB/audio interface 2550 2580
84109229740 - USB module, high 3150 3180
84316977740 - TELEPHONE MICROPHONE 500 570

Combox:
65412152528 - Bluetooth kit with USB/audio 2660 2700
84109257160 - Combox Media 2560 2600

MULF2 Full Install 7650 7990
Combox Full Install 5610 5760

The MULF2 can be sourced from e.g. eBay for a lot less, especially as folks upgrade to Combox's. But the Combox price is good for me here to get a new part. Vendor V has an 8-10 week lead time! Haven't got an answer from vendor D yet about lead times. There may be 1 extra part (cheap) required on the Combox install if it needs to go in the trunk instead of the GC.

There is an additional cost of ~5000 to get the ICOM head for programming, but I think I will just absorb that as I mentioned, as being able to code BMWs would be a handy thing for the future I think.

Hey - which thread did you get that E89 trunk pic from? I didn't find any good E89 threads, that would be handy.

I believe the Combox will still go in the GC with the 6-CD changer. The spec sheet I have on the E89 shows the location of the Combox as the GC. Will have to check it out when I receive parts and install it where appropriate I guess.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #22
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Part Vendor V Vendor D
Common
61316950266 - Trim panel, steering column, top 220 250
61120137616 - Bluetooth Antenna cable 140 180
84316944144 - Microphone cover 30 30

MULF2:
84640443734 - Basic Bluetooth Hands-free kit 1060 1200
65410445465 - Retrofit kit - USB/audio interface 2550 2580
84109229740 - USB module, high 3150 3180
84316977740 - TELEPHONE MICROPHONE 500 570

Combox:
65412152528 - Bluetooth kit with USB/audio 2660 2700
84109257160 - Combox Media 2560 2600

MULF2 Full Install 7650 7990
Combox Full Install 5610 5760

The MULF2 can be sourced from e.g. eBay for a lot less, especially as folks upgrade to Combox's. But the Combox price is good for me here to get a new part. Vendor V has an 8-10 week lead time! Haven't got an answer from vendor D yet about lead times. There may be 1 extra part (cheap) required on the Combox install if it needs to go in the trunk instead of the GC.

There is an additional cost of ~5000 to get the ICOM head for programming, but I think I will just absorb that as I mentioned, as being able to code BMWs would be a handy thing for the future I think.

Hey - which thread did you get that E89 trunk pic from? I didn't find any good E89 threads, that would be handy.

I believe the Combox will still go in the GC with the 6-CD changer. The spec sheet I have on the E89 shows the location of the Combox as the GC. Will have to check it out when I receive parts and install it where appropriate I guess.
Thank you for sharing the above info. I can tell you have done an excessive research. I cannot agree more on your comment on BMWHK, unfortunately.
I find the prices very encouraging, I do not favor buying from the e-bay like sites. When you spend that much on a car, the source of where I get the accessories is very critical for me.
Keep me informed, I am certainly interested, and can push the 'buy'button anytime I solve the mystery of the coding part.

I got the photo from this forum, do a search on radio setup, I think if I recall it was on page 6 (sorry right now I am in china, and my connection is horribly slow...)
I don't mind spending extra bucks to get all the latest setup, so I don't regret it few months later. I already regret not including this BT option when I ordered my Z4, though the salesman thought I am knits when I paid the HK$70,000 for the iDrive option!! But what does he know...

I have emailed bummer tech to send me the specs of what they have and what coding is needed for my CiC.. Will let you know what they get back to me with...
Appreciate 0