New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-19-2023, 03:59 AM   #1
spoiderbaby
Rep
Drives: BMW z4 e89 3.0

Constant Roof Alarm ( RED ) whilst driving

So long story short ( and I apologise in advance for the lengthy post ) - I had water ingress into the boot ( surprise surprise ) which caused my boot to unlock when I pressed the brake pedal - this has been fixed and I have cured the water leak problem. I took the car out for a test drive and kept getting the red roof alarm briefly ( seemed to be whilst braking ) so I pulled over and tried to open the roof - BONG red alarm and constant flashing RED LED on the roof open switch. Now I have a constant red roof alarm ( BONG! ) whilst driving. I found that the sponge housing containing the roof motor was saturated so I have dried it out, I have dried off the roof motor - removed the motor cover and made sure there is no water in the motor electronics but i can see a little oxidation ( corrosion ) which suggests water has got in previously. I have reinstalled the roof motor ( in a plastic bag ). So tonight I fired up Carly and initially got:

00A670 - Error fogging sensor 0xA670 / BSS error signal line BSS 0xA670

I cleared this error and re-scanned ( twice ) and got:

00A692 - Microswitch, rear-end module closed, right

I know this is a very common fault and is discussed in may forums but none of them match this specific issue.

Someone has advised to replace the salmon relays - but can they cause the above A692 error ? I might just replace them anyway.

The thing is my roof worked perfectly before the water ingress so I don't think I have a faulty sensor or broken wire.

Anyone got any advice ?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 04:43 AM   #2
B21
Captain
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Looks like it’s the micro switch issue..imho..it’s not got anything to do with the relays…although replacing them is a very very good idea..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 04:46 AM   #3
spoiderbaby
Rep

Thanks for the reply. However as I stated in my post all this started after water ingress into the battery compartment - my roof worked perfectly before this
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 06:44 AM   #4
spoiderbaby
Rep

The other issue I have is. How can i get to the sensors ( & remove the boot trim around the tail light ) if I can't open the roof in maintenance mode. Is there a way to manually open it ?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 07:16 AM   #5
spoiderbaby
Rep

Another thing I have noticed is Carly is telling me my battery health is very bad (see screen shot ) would this have anything to do with the fault
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 07:44 AM   #6
B21
Captain
Rep

A poorly battery is exceptionally bad news for E89s in many different areas..as a matter of prudence it should be replaced and registered with a new AGM battery before trying to resolve other isdues
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 07:48 AM   #7
B21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiderbaby View Post
Thanks for the reply. However as I stated in my post all this started after water ingress into the battery compartment - my roof worked perfectly before this
For sure corrosion will be very bad news on this system…I assume you are going to take apart the relevant connectors and remove the corrosion as a matter of course
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 09:04 AM   #8
spoiderbaby
Rep

Yeah I have already dealt with all the moisture and the corrosion ( it wasn't too bad ). I managed to catch it before it got too bad. I have managed to code the roof fault to only trigger above 50 kph - so at least I can drive it without going mad from the constant bonging!!

Its also going into my local garage to have the Oil housing gasket replaced so i will get them to replace and code a new AGM battery
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 10:28 AM   #9
B21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I have already dealt with all the moisture and the corrosion ( it wasn't too bad ). I managed to catch it before it got too bad. I have managed to code the roof fault to only trigger above 50 kph - so at least I can drive it without going mad from the constant bonging!!

Its also going into my local garage to have the Oil housing gasket replaced so i will get them to replace and code a new AGM battery
That’s all good progress..get the relays swapped it’s a 15 minute job Ł20..some people have omitted doing that to great expense…
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 10:32 AM   #10
spoiderbaby
Rep

Ordered them today x2 Ł39.95 delivered can't find them any cheaper..

Do you know if there is a way of manually opening the roof - I need to get it into maintenance mode so i can check all the switches.

The reason why i think it might be the battery is because I keep getting different random code which clear then come back.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 02:27 PM   #11
B21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ordered them today x2 Ł39.95 delivered can't find them any cheaper..

Do you know if there is a way of manually opening the roof - I need to get it into maintenance mode so i can check all the switches.

The reason why i think it might be the battery is because I keep getting different random code which clear then come back.
AFAIK there isn’t a maintenance mode as such ..RobbiZ4 is the definitive roof guru so hopefully he will be along soon..

The relays are pretty generic so surprised at the cost but…

Battery health is the number 1 issue on these cars…so so many issues are caused by poor battery condition or discharged batteries..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 02:13 AM   #12
spoiderbaby
Rep

The saga continues...

So things are going from bad to worse. Yesterday I replaced the battery and the two salmon relays - still have a constant flashing roof button and the Red roof alarm bong when driving.

I decided to check the CTM and EMF modules in the right hand side. The CTM module was OK however the EMF module was sat in about 2 cm's of water ( which had frozen ). I dried this out as best as possible ( couldn't figure out how to unplug it ).

Now the boot won't open !! I hear a slight click when trying to unlock with the bonnet roundel but no release sound.

HELP!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 08:10 AM   #13
javis20
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 3.0i Silver

Isn't the EMF module for the parking brake? Does the parking brake work?

Also can you open the boot from the keyfob?

It could be boot opening is blocked due to the convertible top fault code. If you know someone with INPA, ISTA or ProTool, they should be able override and trigger boot to open.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 10:24 AM   #14
spoiderbaby
Rep

No the boot does not open with the FOB or the boot catch roundel.

The parking brake is working perfectly fine. Its odd because all this started when i had water ingress into the boot. Everything worked fine before this.

Like I said above the EMF module was sitting in about 2 cm's of frozen water.

I have ISTA v4.29.15 but I have no idea how to use it. I have an old OBD2 port USB cable that I used to use for my GOLF 20 years ago would that work ?

My Carly is throwing the below codes:

Footwell Module
----------------------

00a8c6 - FRM: Daytime running lights, right faulty
00a8c5 - FRM: Daytime running lights, left faulty
00a8b7 - MINI: Fog light faulty on left or right

All my lights as far as I can tell are functioning fine.

Junction Box passenger side
-----------------------------------

00a739 - JBE: Central-locking drive, rear lid
00a6cf - AUC Sensor

Air conditioning
---------------------------------

00e721 - Message error ( status sensor automatic air recirculation control ,0x2D0 )

Roof

00a670 - Error fogging sensor 0xa670 / BSS eerrorr signal line BSS 0xa670

Electronic parking brake

006045 - Parking brake temp sensor servo motor left

This might be because I was drying out the EMF module with a hairdryer

Convertible Roof

00a692 - Microswitch, rear-end module closed, right
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 02:50 PM   #15
javis20
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 3.0i Silver

If you reset all the codes, do they all come back? If so, you need one of the experts to weigh in. Most of us can help with any individual code, but you got something going on that's causing all kinds of non related codes. It's probably simple, so stop throwing parts at it. And since you already have ISTA, maybe someone can remote into your laptop.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 04:44 PM   #16
B21
Captain
Rep

Try this for the boot lock..

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic...C+two#p1853940

The roof needs the two micro switches replacing

The AUC fault needs a new AUC sensor

Fix those and clear faults ..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 02:28 AM   #17
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 30i

Hi,

in principle, all your topics regarding the roof are covered in this maintenance thread:

⌛E89: Retractable Hardtop (roof) Maintenance (and additional) tasks
https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130932

Quote:
...trying to unlock with the bonnet roundel...
I hope, you mean the yellow emergency grip in the trunk?
The two microswitches on both sides of the couplings have to be replaced (in advance), in your case right now.

Your current roof problems are several independant(!) roof issues, which may of course pop up at the same time.

Opening the boot by pin12:
https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=144888

Regarding the EMF module:
Get the (tiny) pin 2 checked, as it's the permanent power suply of this module. If there is any kind of corrosion , get the whole plug cleaned up.

Last edited by RobbiZ4; 12-04-2023 at 02:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 06:15 AM   #18
spoiderbaby
Rep

Your roof maintenance was the first thing i read and checked as much of it as I could.

My boot doesn't open and I do not have a yellow emergency roof release handle - I assume this is only on US model z4's.

All these issues started happening after the water ingress. My roof and everything were working OK before this.

I can't figure out how to unplug the EMF unit.

I can't put the roof into maintenance mode - so I can't remove all the trim properly to get proper access

I have INSTA - I have no idea how to install or use it

I have carly

Why is my boot not opening after replacing the battery ?

None of the things I have found seem linked in any way.

Why would the microswitches just fail ?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 08:19 AM   #19
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Rep

[...]

Last edited by RobbiZ4; 12-18-2023 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 03:38 AM   #20
spoiderbaby
Rep

Hi Robbie

Firstly I appreciate you taking the time to help with my issue.

This is my dream car it's taken me years to be able to afford to buy and run one so you can understand my frustration and woe !

The water in the boot had only been there a couple of weeks and i only started to look into it because when I pressed the brake pedal my boot lock was activating ( this I fixed myself )

Now I used to be an electronics engineer and I also now work in IT so I have the engineering skills & the equipment to do almost anything on this car.

The problem I have is trying to piece together all the hints and advice and actually work out all the procedures.

So...

1. I need to access the boot area. Now I can do it the 'pin 12 way' but I can't find any clear instructions on how to do this - just vague pictures. I have INPA and ISTA downloaded and I have a KANBUS USB cable and apparently I can use this software to pop the boot lid. The problem is again I can't find any clear instructions on how to install and use this software.

2. Once I have the boot \ trunk open I need to get access to the microswitches - so you mention

'- put the trunk lid into the maintenance mode by pushing the two flippers on both sides to activate the soft close mechanism'

So I assume this means somehow I can get the Trunk lid into maintenance mode to access the left and right mechanisms - so essentially opening part of the roof manually. This is something I need to do and I can't find any clear instructions on how to do this either.

3. Your 3rd point:

- get the two MS coupling lock replaced, but don't forget to circle around the 2x3 hut nuts before dismounting

I assume these are the two microswitches - the right hand one is generating the 00a692 - Microswitch, rear-end module closed, right error code and from what you telling me - this might have got wet and corroded ?

I have used carly to only trigger the roof alarm alarm at 50 KPH ( that's as far as it goes )

IS there a way to disable the roof ALARM so I can actually drive it faster than 50 KPH ? Is there something I can unplug ?

Another thing I need to fix is all the boot seals and maybe the rear light assembly because now I am not sure how water is getting in. I have treated them all with platen cleaner - I suspect it's the points at the top with the two screws which needs resealing.

Lastly Munich is one of my favourite Cities ( I used to live in Gutersloh ) so i would much prefer to come to you AND if there was a way to disable the contant roof alarm BONG! I would quite happily drive over to Bavaria all day long !!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 10:52 AM   #21
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Rep

[...]

Last edited by RobbiZ4; 12-18-2023 at 07:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 12:37 PM   #22
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Rep

[...]

Last edited by RobbiZ4; 12-18-2023 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0