New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
motobike
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Outdoor car cover

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a recommendation for an outdoor car cover? Does anyone know if an E85 car cover fit the E89?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

I got mine from California Car Cover, http://www.calcarcover.com

Not sure about fit of an E85, but mine is E89 specific. It fits the car like a glove.

They aren't the cheapest covers out there, but they make car covers that are made for each specific model of car. They also have a number of fabrics to choose from.

The one consideration I had was the antenna. They gave me three options, a sock like sleeve sewn into the cover, a grommet hole, and no allowance for the antenna. After careful consideration, I opted for nothing, and I unscrew my antenna before putting on my cover. The grommet idea just introduces a spot where water can get in and the sleeve idea is just too difficult when trying to maneuver the cover over my car by myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

i have a indoor car cover that i bought from Bavarian Autosport for my e85,now i use it on my e89 it is a little tight but it fit.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
Al Blue4.6l
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e89 Z4 sDrive35i

Unless you wash your car immediately before putting it on every time, it can be a case of cure that's worse than the disease
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem

Not sure about fit of an E85, but mine is E89 specific. It fits the car like a glove.

They aren't the cheapest covers out there, but they make car covers that are made for each specific model of car. They also have a number of fabrics to choose from.

The one consideration I had was the antenna. They gave me three options, a sock like sleeve sewn into the cover, a grommet hole, and no allowance for the antenna. After careful consideration, I opted for nothing, and I unscrew my antenna before putting on my cover. The grommet idea just introduces a spot where water can get in and the sleeve idea is just too difficult when trying to maneuver the cover over my car by myself.
Not that this will help you at this point, but a stubby antenna with a short sock would probably be easy to maneuver into place and the antenna would be stout enough to not get damaged. That would eliminate having to remove the antenna every time. And actually a short one might be okay with no allowance too. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykoh View Post
Not that this will help you at this point, but a stubby antenna with a short sock would probably be easy to maneuver into place and the antenna would be stout enough to not get damaged. That would eliminate having to remove the antenna every time. And actually a short one might be okay with no allowance too. Just a thought.
I have the stubby antenna, and I took all that into consideration. I can always have it sewn on, since California car cover is local to me, but I don't really have an issue with removing the antenna. Part of the issue is that it *is* so easy that I realized someone may want the stubby antenna more than me, and I want to avoid that too.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
[QUOTE=Mayhem]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykoh View Post

I have the stubby antenna, and I took all that into consideration. I can always have it sewn on, since California car cover is local to me, but I don't really have an issue with removing the antenna. Part of the issue is that it *is* so easy that I realized someone may want the stubby antenna more than me, and I want to avoid that too.
I did have my stubby antenna disappear once. I wasn't sure if it rattled off, if it was taken off during service/washing and forgotten, or if some ass wanted to be a jerk and took it. Fortunately at 12 bones to replace it, I didn't lose any sleep and just got a new one.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

I buy my covers from the dealership with 10% CCA discount, ~$180. On my third one in 10 years for e46 M3 and first one for e89.
There's no antenna feature and no issue with the stubby. The OE antenna just bent to fit.
      07-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #9
motobike
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Blue4.6l View Post
Unless you wash your car immediately before putting it on every time, it can be a case of cure that's worse than the disease
I always forget about this. Thanks for the reminder.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #10
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobike View Post
I always forget about this. Thanks for the reminder.
You don't have to wash it necessarily, I use my cover daily, but when I put it on I use a detailer and a micro cloth and wipe the car over, as you are correct, grit and dirt act like sandpaper so get it off first, you guys might think this a pain, but my car always looks clean and with practice it only takes a couple of minutes!!!

Oh an external e85 cover will not fit an E89, not the BMW covers!! If you ever parked an E85 and an E89 together then you will see why???
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #11
teezee
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, E46 325iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post

Their website doesn't even show Z4 in their drop down for BMW

I use the BMW soft flannel-like OEM indoor cover and unscrew my stubby antenna. Although the cover fits over it, over time I feel sure it would weaken that spot in the cover. You will definitely have to remove the stock whip antenna if using a cover. They both unscrew in 5 seconds. And I never cover the car unless it's just washed and cleaned, which it almost always is.
Attached Images

2011 E89 Z4 M Sport (Euro Delivery, Performance Center redelivery), Extended Nappa leather, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust
2003 E46 325i Touring

Last edited by teezee; 07-20-2012 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #12
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teezee View Post

I use the BMW soft flannel-like OEM indoor cover and unscrew my stubby antenna. Although the cover fits over it, over time I feel sure it would weaken that spot in the cover. You will definitely have to remove the stock whip antenna if using a cover. They both unscrew in 5 seconds. And I never cover the car unless it's just washed and cleaned, which it almost always is.
Hi I initially removed the whip aerial and bought a stubby for use with the cover, but with the wind blowing it put to much pressure on the stubby and broke now on my second stubby and always remove and put on drivers seat!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #13
jpwolfe31
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

We purchased the BMW cover from Bavarian Autosport and just put it on over the stubby antennae. Fits great. We have not had experience with it yet during the rainy season. The car is also generally sheltered from wind.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #14
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teezee View Post
I understand. I just called them and they made it.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 01:29 PM   #15
julietbaney
Banned
Rep
Drives: Honda

Sweet, thanks for the link. I've already washed a few times at the Brown Bear car washes, but how do you dry there? In SoCal the self-wash car washes had spot-free rinse (RO water) which I would rinse the car with after finishing with the pressure washer, but the brown bear doesn't have this. https://www.carcoverworld.com/
Appreciate 0