New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-25-2010, 07:22 AM   #1
netv
Romania
Rep
Drives: e89 z4 23i, e90 318i

iPod/iPhone integration/cable question

I just ordered a 23i Z4 on September 9th and it will be produced this week (week 43) - and a couple more weeks until I will actually drive it (can't wait).

I also have an iPhone 3GS which I would like to connect to the z4 audio system.
I forgot to mention that I have the USB audio connection option, the HiFi (11 speakers) optional audio system and the professional head-unit. No iDrive.

The dealer insists that I need to also get the Y-split cable for the iPhone to get it working, but I have read somewhere (don't remember where) that with the 2011 model that cable is no longer needed and you can connect the iphone directly using it's normal cable. Can anyone confirm this is case?

Also, if there is someone with the same configuration as mine (no idrive but usb connection and hifi system) what I can actually do/use the iphone for? To put it simply: what features do I get and what I don't get compared to the one with iDrive?

Thank you all
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dreaming of a F10

Hi Netv,
You can only use the native apple usb cable if you have 6VC Combox.
In the UK at least the Z4 only gets the 6VC Combox if you have the Navigation and Telematics.
If your car doesn't have the idrive / navigation I suspect your dealer is right and you will need the Y cable.

Re integration with the iphone, if you don't have bluetooth I don't think there will be any integration at all. However if you specified bluetooth then you should be able to connect your phone even without the idrive. Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
netv
Romania
Rep
Drives: e89 z4 23i, e90 318i

Hmm, in that case it seems the dealer is right. I'll give it a try anyway when I get the car. Also, since I don't have either bluetooth or idrive I will only be able to play music with the iPhone which also means I've pretty much spent the money for nothing (related to the USB connection option which was about 335EUR)
Appreciate 0