New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #45
night199uk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: frari

Got it - powered the ICOM up on the desk now and managed to configure and get most of the software talking to it properly. Will take it back down to the car during the daytime at some point, but pretty tied up at work this week so it may have to wait for the weekend :-(
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #46
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by night199uk View Post
Oh BTW, regarding that PSU the Battery Charger won't do it. You need a Power Supply which can adopt the full load of the devices in the car apparently. From what I read, you can get away with it for a little bit of coding, but for programming you will definitely need a PSU. Not sure if you need to program anything for the Combox upgrade, depend if your software needs updating to support the Combox and what you ordered in the end.

You might be able to get away with just coding.

This thread is a good resource:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1608896
Thanks. I will look more into that... Keep me posted if you find anything in HKG...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #47
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Hey,

Did you find a way to power your ICOM up without using the car? Its pretty cramped in the car and I've heard we can power it off a 12V PSU. But I can't find any details on the pinouts etc. Would be great to be able to power it up on the bench so I can troubleshoot the EDIABAS problem. Not much space in the car.
No, I did not look into that... I received an extension cable from OBDII to the ICOM A... It was long enough to be placed all under the footwear of the passenger seat.
The ICOM A connects to my PC via an Ethernet cable, which is long enough for me to sit out side of the car...
It was pretty comfortable...
I rund the Diagnose, deleted few errors and fixed few, than deleted all errors...
I will be taking the car to BMWHK to change the L7 DSP (hoping this is under warrantee), than will code the folding mirrors and few other little things...
I am using the ISTA-D & ISTA-P and not the VMWare...

Re Combox Media; BimmerNav will do all the coding before sending me the kit and once installed, they will code the iDrive remotely, they told me the car power should be enough.. But I don't mind buying the PSU if it was not a Monster $$$ thing...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #48
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Got it - powered the ICOM up on the desk now and managed to configure and get most of the software talking to it properly. Will take it back down to the car during the daytime at some point, but pretty tied up at work this week so it may have to wait for the weekend :-(
This is good :-)
I am out of HKG for all week, as well, will work on it in the weekend.
By the way, do you what is the advantages & disadvantages of the ISTA-P VS the NSCexpert ?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #49
night199uk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Okay, had to get my ICOM replaced after almost a week of wrestling with it. Just got the new one from Shenzhen today and was able to pull everything up in NCS Expert. Will test ISTA/D & ISTA/P tomorrow :-)

I think ISTA/D & ISTA/P won't let you do certain things that NCS Expert would do, but I'm not sure yet. You might be tied to fixed paths (like certain retrofit options that are valid for your MY) in ISTA/P, so if you want to retrofit something not for your MY you would need NCS. I haven't tried ISTA myself with a real ICOM yet, so I won't know until the weekend or so.

I think I'm good to go ahead and order the Bluetooth kit now. Did you receive yours yet? I'm tempted to wait until you get yours now so I can see whats in it to make sure I get the right parts, rather than going back/forth.

Still didn't find a PSU in HK. Was able to find some 12V 40A PSUs in Ap Liu Street which people reported they had some success with, but it would be a real hack job... depends how much we need to power. I think I want to wait until I can order/buy a proper one. Good thing though is that later I'd be able to totally reprogram the car and upgrade it with the latest software for better fuel economy, etc. Not speaking Chinese is a battle here though for me, wish I could describe what I want to them in Ap Liu Street, I'm sure someone will have something similar :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 03:23 AM   #50
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

I run t=early this morning a full Diagnose on the car and deleted all errors (1 amp + 1 MOST, & 1 DCT errors).
Took the car to the dealer to check on the L7 Amp.
They called this pm advising the amp died, that they have ordered a new one from me, and should be available within 7-15 days and the most important "that it was still under warrantee"
So the ICOM has done some good so far.

my Combox has not yet shipped out. I will confirm later tonight when is this going out of the door.
I am in search for an PSU (online)
I surely have no problem to list for you all kits I receive (when I receive them); however, keep in mind that my car has the iDrive.

Keep me posted
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 03:25 AM   #51
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Not speaking Chinese is a battle here though for me, wish I could describe what I want to them in Ap Liu Street, I'm sure someone will have something similar :-)
Google translate is my best friend when I am in these kind of places
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #52
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Picked up my car today from the dealer. DSP/Amp replaced...
I have not yet received the Combox Kit, I was promised that it would arrive next week...

Did you order your Combox? What's new with you?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #53
night199uk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Shark View Post
Picked up my car today from the dealer. DSP/Amp replaced...
I have not yet received the Combox Kit, I was promised that it would arrive next week...

Did you order your Combox? What's new with you?

Wow, didn't look at this thread in ages. Not much going on here right now, I need to order the parts for my install but its Xmas now so the cash for that is not going to happen until the New Year I expect. :-(

I did a lot more reading and I think that without iDrive I can't install a Combox, too. Can't believe I didn't see this before, I need to research it still. :-( That would mean I have to install a MULF2 or HU replacement, neither of which support A2DP audio streaming. Which still means I'll have to run a cable to the phone every time I'm in the car to use it for music. Which is a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #54
night199uk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Wow, didn't look at this thread in ages. Not much going on here right now, I need to order the parts for my install but its Xmas now so the cash for that is not going to happen until the New Year I expect. :-(

I did a lot more reading and I think that without iDrive I can't install a Combox, too. Can't believe I didn't see this before, I need to research it still. :-( That would mean I have to install a MULF2 or HU replacement, neither of which support A2DP audio streaming. Which still means I'll have to run a cable to the phone every time I'm in the car to use it for music. Which is a PITA.
Did you receive your parts? How is the install going?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #55
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

I received my parts last Friday. Did not have time to work on my car this weekend, I will be out of HKG until Dec 22; I guess I will do the install the week of Xmas...
Looking at the parts and cable, it does not seem that difficult, I guess I will just need to see how to tag on the power supply without cutting any cable.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #56
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:

I guess If you scroll back at my comment earlier, I did find the same that if do not have iDrive and is before a certain mm/yy you cannot instal the Combox, and will need an MULF; however, dimmer-Tech seems to have a solution for that. I suggest you get in touch with them.. Just give them your VIN# and what you want and he will figure this out for you (???)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #57
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Almost done with the installation. It was not that difficult, though my only struggle really was (and still is) how to bring the cables from the trunk to the front through a tiny mini hole. It seems my only choice would be taking off all the left panels, front/rear side door... This only had me cursed for 2 days now.
All cables are pretty much installed in exception to the Mic, as it seems the vendor sent me the wrong cable adapter that clips the mic into the running cable of the Combox.
They have been prompt in replies and are looking into solutions.
Once that is done, will go for the coding and hope all would be up and running...

I still did not install the USB/Aux module. Trying to figure how to take out the current AUX plug without taking out all the middle console (cup holders/gear stick, etc...)

Almost there...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #58
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Mission accomplished. Combox Media retrofitted and coded.
BT phone working great.
BT audio working great, including radio streaming.
USB audio working great, including radio streaming.

What I found out is HKG cars do not have the voice command (a shame)
HKG cars cannot access BMW Live and the Internet (another BIG shame)

Ok. My next project? Activating the DVD function, as the dealer disabled it and is not willing to activate it. Emm....

End of thread for me...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #59
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Well, I thought I am done with the retrofits... But than, what do I know?.... I decided to retrofit the SA6NR and enable the BMW connect drive. Retrofit is done. Thanks to Patryk.... Great service by the way. I am now waiting for MEN, his associate to code the module... Can't believe the dealer told me nine can be done, not even the simple USB retrofit itself....sheeeesh...

Will report back once the coding is done and all is up and working... Can't wait....
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #60
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Coding done.. All is working flowlessly... I am surely a happy Camper Big thanks to MEN and Patryk...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #61
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

I wish the 6FL retrofit is available in the US

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #62
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx
I wish the 6FL retrofit is available in the US
6FL retrofit not available in the US? Have you checked around? Many successful 6FL retrofit threads on the E90 forums...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #63
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
6FL retrofit not available in the US? Have you checked around? Many successful 6FL retrofit threads on the E90 forums...
You cannot order the retrofit kit through the dealership. You can buy it from an importer but it's a lot more expensive. I went with an aftermarket solution (GROM MST3) because it's a simpler install, but I'm slightly annoyed because it's been 2 months and I'm still waiting on a firmware update to fix some issues.

By the way, how did you remove the center console to wire the USB socket?

[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #64
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

[QUOTE=morfinx]
Quote:
You cannot order the retrofit kit through the dealership. You can buy it from an importer but it's a lot more expensive. I went with an aftermarket solution (GROM MST3) because it's a simpler install, but I'm slightly annoyed because it's been 2 months and I'm still waiting on a firmware update to fix some issues.

By the way, how did you remove the center console to wire the USB socket?
Oh I see. I am surprised to know that the few 3rd party that offers the retrofit and the remote coding are more expensive than the dealer... Well to me, the dealer in Hong Kong told me I cannot retrofit it. Proved that they were wrong.

I did not manage to take out the centre console. So what I did is drill a small whole into the aux plug itself. This allowed me to take out the plug. I took out the shifter and the little plastic cover to the rear of the console. Than used a long coper wire to get the cable through from the retrofitted USB/Av plug all the way to the CIC harness... Took a long time, but was done cleanly and as if OEM cabled. You can't believe how tiny spaces are these on a Z4....
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #65
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did not manage to take out the centre console. So what I did is drill a small whole into the aux plug itself. This allowed me to take out the plug. I took out the shifter and the little plastic cover to the rear of the console. Than used a long coper wire to get the cable through from the retrofitted USB/Av plug all the way to the CIC harness... Took a long time, but was done cleanly and as if OEM cabled. You can't believe how tiny spaces are these on a Z4....
Interesting... you wouldn't happen to have any pictures on how you did it would you? I currently have the USB socket under the glove box, but would like to route it to the stock location in the center console for a more integrated look.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #66
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
Interesting... you wouldn't happen to have any pictures on how you did it would you? I currently have the USB socket under the glove box, but would like to route it to the stock location in the center console for a more integrated look.
No, Sorry, did not take photos during the process. But I can take a photo of the drilled AUX plug if it helps you at all... Though you will not be able to use any longer after the drill.
Appreciate 0