New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-02-2014, 05:21 AM   #1
Hosse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 2009

Really bad bass sound with HIFI Proffesional

I just got my E89 with HiFi Professional DSP. I have had this system in a lot of BMWs earlier and just love the sound. Now I got this 2009 E89 and Im really disapointed. There way to much bass and some tones sounds like the bass is wrenged (dont know a better word for it in english:-)). I sounds like I have turned on the bass to the max and turned on super loudness. I have reset all settings in the car with no result. I have also turned down the bass and the low frequences in the equalizer, and it gets better but its still to much.

I have allways been a fan of the HiFi proff in BMW, but now Im really disapointed. The spound is hard and the base is out of controll. There some kind of resonanse aswell thats really anoying. Lower base tunes sounds like they are breaking the car apart..

I belive that I can hear a noice from the subs at low volume aswell. The subs appear to be out of faze.

Questions:
- Could someone mixed +/-? Perhaps a resonance can make it appear as out of faze?

- Is this the way youre cars are aswell or is there anyting wrong with my system?

- The problem is there with FM radio, CD and Iphone interface..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 06:22 AM   #2
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

This is probably due to room resonances and pressure build-up at lower (bass) frequencies which should disappear when you lower the roof.

My system came with 4 bass units, two behind the seats and two in the foot-wells, but no dsp. It is probably the middle-end system.

With my car the bass is solid but clearly boosted for top down listening. So with the top down the sound is pretty balanced, and lowering the windows is a further advantage.

In theory you can't have balanced sound under both room conditions, ie both with the top up and down. Unless BMW has programmed hidden dsp settings that change with the roof up and down, I don't see how you could tune for balanced sound with the top down without also getting too much bass with the roof up.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 06:33 AM   #3
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosse View Post
Could someone mixed +/-? Perhaps a resonance can make it appear as out of faze?

- The problem is there with FM radio, CD and Iphone interface..
btw if some of the bass units were out of phase it would only decrease the bass volume. It is also very unlikely that anyone ever touched the wires. So I would not worry about this.

Try using the USB interface in the glovebox to upload your favorite songs as mp3 files. I find the AUX interface to be adding audible noise. FM radio would probably do the same.

Also, if you still want to dampen the bass further, you can fill up the trunk with some junk, like a bag with old clothes which dampens the (bass) sound in there.

Last edited by Asbjorn; 10-03-2014 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

The response out of the headunit is almost perfectly flat, when all of the controls are set to "0". Already had a spectrum EQ in the car to see what could be done.

As others have said - windows down or top down, either way sound will change after 20/30 mph. By 70, the bass completely goes away.

The smaller the environment, the harder it is to get "good" sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #5
Hosse
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi all,
Sad to say that the bass is terrible with the top up or down. It sounds like its out of phase (correct spelling this time:-)) at high volume, and low volume. With the top up or down. The strange thing is that it stops when I get the fader to the rear? If it wasnt for this I would tear out the woofers tonight and replace them.

I have talked to my local dealer, and the only sentral problem they have registered is an software upgrade to 2.40.2 +version. I will try this ASAP but I feel that this should be a physical issue, not an software issue..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
Putzo
Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 E89 Z4 35is

Garage List
Quote:
...There way to much bass...
Wow. Exact opposite of my experience. 35is with (I'm assuming) the top of the range sound system, and almost no bass to speak of. To get any at all, I have to listen at a volume that I shouldn't have to and that means dropping the top lest the mid and high range frequencies deafen me.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 11:51 PM   #7
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzo View Post
Wow. Exact opposite of my experience. 35is with (I'm assuming) the top of the range sound system, and almost no bass to speak of. To get any at all, I have to listen at a volume that I shouldn't have to and that means dropping the top lest the mid and high range frequencies deafen me.
You must have the entry level sound system.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 02:59 AM   #8
Hosse
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have got the top level system from 2009. Thats called premium or simething like that in US.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 03:02 AM   #9
Hosse
Enlisted Member
Rep

Aargh.. This problem really anoyes me. Today to work I listend to Calvin Harris "So close to you" at a really low volum and I could clearly hear a "bump" after every bassbeat. Just som e 0.xxx sek after the bassbeat. Could sound like theres something loose og the membrane of the speaker has come of.. But when I crank it up the sound doesnt have this problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 05:15 AM   #10
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Believe it or not mine got a lot better (among other things) once I had a firmware update on the dme.

Hamann Anniversary EVO 19'' wheels for sale : http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270728
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 06:51 AM   #11
Hosse
Enlisted Member
Rep

Jannisa: OK? Good to hear. Did you do this youreself via USB or do I have to visit my dealer?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

I will say - in my trials and tribulations with this sound system, I have learned that it is incredibly sensitive to the source material.

Sirius sounds crappy regardless (due to the compression and roll-off) HD FM actually sounds decent - but what I have used for consistency when tuning is some Michael Jackson from CD.

Man in the Mirror , specifically, has a drum line at ~35 Hz, which you can hear and feel with the car at rest. At about 60 mph - it dissipates without cranking the system really high. I used this to set my eq (running a Audioson 8.9 bit)

Smooth Criminal also has some decent bass, though not quite as low - but can be good for setting front imaging and balance.

I found the internal system does a decent job of converting CDs to the internal hard drive - whereas many of the MP3s I download have sucked.... So just make sure your source material "has" some bass
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #13
Kessler35is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 50i, 2016 E89 35is

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [0.00]
2015 X5 50i  [0.00]
My 2011 is great, its the best factory system I have ever heard. The lows and highs are great. I am always having friends and people ask me to show them the system I put in the car and or speaker/amp details.

They are shocked when I tell them it is 100% BMW factory.

I have taken the time to adjust the EQ and treble/bass settings, also I tend to make minor adjustments depending on the songs.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #14
Putzo
Newb
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
You must have the entry level sound system.
I never thought so before, the dealer told me it was a fully loaded 35is. There is a sub behind each seat. Now I'm not so sure. Is there a way to tell beyond a shadow of doubt?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #15
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Jannisa: OK? Good to hear. Did you do this youreself via USB or do I have to visit my dealer?
It's dealer only I 'm afraid.

Hamann Anniversary EVO 19'' wheels for sale : http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270728
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #16
Hosse
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzo View Post
I never thought so before, the dealer told me it was a fully loaded 35is. There is a sub behind each seat. Now I'm not so sure. Is there a way to tell beyond a shadow of doubt?
Here in Norway you can tell by checking if you got an Equalizer and surround mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #17
Hosse
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher View Post
I will say - in my trials and tribulations with this sound system, I have learned that it is incredibly sensitive to the source material.

Sirius sounds crappy regardless (due to the compression and roll-off) HD FM actually sounds decent - but what I have used for consistency when tuning is some Michael Jackson from CD.

Man in the Mirror , specifically, has a drum line at ~35 Hz, which you can hear and feel with the car at rest. At about 60 mph - it dissipates without cranking the system really high. I used this to set my eq (running a Audioson 8.9 bit)

Smooth Criminal also has some decent bass, though not quite as low - but can be good for setting front imaging and balance.

I found the internal system does a decent job of converting CDs to the internal hard drive - whereas many of the MP3s I download have sucked.... So just make sure your source material "has" some bass
hehe, funny. Just listend to Man in the Mirror today in my car:-) Everything is now flatt. No bass, treble or Eq adjustment. With "man in the mirror" the sound was great at all tones at higher volume. BUT theres a "hollow" bass sound at the lowere tones. Some kind og resonance (not sure about the spelling here:-))

And the same thing here. At lower volume I can here that 0,xx sek delay on the sub in the rear behind the seats.

This is really irritating, because I can hear that the sound should be great. Theres enough power, the loadspeakers individually sound really great. Its just the bass togehter with everythin else thats in totalt sucks..

Talked to my dealer today. It 2-8 hours of programing to update this software. Ill try to book a time for this next week. Ill try this before opening my car..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #18
Hosse
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessler35is View Post
My 2011 is great, its the best factory system I have ever heard. The lows and highs are great. I am always having friends and people ask me to show them the system I put in the car and or speaker/amp details.

They are shocked when I tell them it is 100% BMW factory.

I have taken the time to adjust the EQ and treble/bass settings, also I tend to make minor adjustments depending on the songs.
Is it possible for you to take a picture of youre settings? Bass, treble, souround or not etc and the equalizer? If you have the time offcourse..

Last edited by Hosse; 10-06-2014 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: Spelling..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #19
Hosse
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi all,
Yesterday my can got an good software update. It tok about 8 hours (!). Now the sound is really different. The bass is much tighter and the "out of phace" and theres not that much bass. I really need to turn upp the base a bit to get it perfect:-)

So, thank you so much for that tip!

Offcourse theres a new problem after this.. Now theres constant distorsion when I play music from my iPhone. Feks with Spotify. At all volumes. I think I need to turn down the outgoin gain/volume on my phone, but that function is disabled when its connected to the car. Cant find it in the settings of the phone og car either.. Does anyone know where to find it? I belive that I got a message on the screen in the car the first time I connected my phone where I could ajust the volume for external devices, but I cant find it now.

Thanks!

Garage: X5 E70 3.0DA - Z4 E89 2.5IA - 316 DT F31 - 318 Convertible E36
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #20
Putzo
Newb
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here in Norway you can tell by checking if you got an Equalizer and surround mode.
I took a look and I do have both the equalizer and surround mode in my system.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #21
Hosse
Enlisted Member
Rep

Nobody that knows how to turn down the output volume on the Iphone when connected to the car to quit distorsion?

Thanks in advance!:-)

Garage: X5 E70 3.0DA - Z4 E89 2.5IA - 316 DT F31 - 318 Convertible E36
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #22
Desmo85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 / E87 / E89

If you are looking for a kickass system you might wanna check this thread:

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742298

I am 100% statisfied, I would never go back.
Appreciate 0