New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
SKILVR
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 3.0

Windscreen Choices Help

Advice from those with experience please.

I have owned two 3 series convertibles, on each I purchased the BMW mesh folding windscreen, which was quite effective (necessary) for reducing wind and noise at highway speeds with the top down. It covered the rear seats of course, and since I didn't use the rear seats much, I bought a more fun 2011 Z4. I want to get a windscreen to protect airflow in cool climate in NW, and hope someone out there can provide me with their experience:

An exhaustive web search has found ten options. I prefer acrylic over mesh as a 'permanent' installation. My favorites are below: Has anyone had one of these? Or if you have a different one, what do you like and dislike about yours?

My favorites:

UR-WINDSCHOTT: 3 pieces of acrylic: main section and inside each roll bar providing full coverage; Looks like factory, expensive: $541 w/ship to US

JustRoadster.com: One piece of acrylic attaching in front of the rollbars with full coverage; straps are clear, looks like an add on? $187 w/ship to US

RoadsterSolutions.com (same unit as Bavarian Autosport): For E89 one piece between rollbars only (E 86 model had 3 pieces like UR-Windschott, now they make only one, they say because the solid seatbacks do not need the rollbar sections. Looks like factory. $245 w/shipping

Advice?
Cost less important than choosing one I'll be proud of for long term
Additional coverage make ride more enjoyable? or not necessary?
With the roof up most of the time, is the JustRoadster limiting air flow in the cabin?

Thanks,
Jim
      04-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
integraworks
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

I looked long and hard at all of the after-market 'solutions' before deciding to get the OEM screen. I am glad I did. Not only does it fit perfectly, it is very effective. When you buy the kit, you get the main screen (for between the headrests/rollbars), 2 small screens (for inside the headrests/rollbars) and 2 brand new headrest covers. Installation was a 'snap' with instructions I found online.

Use ebay to find a vendor with better pricing. I did and saved about $150.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Frank Costanza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540i/6, Z4 35i

I don't like the mesh screens either. After doing recon on this I think I'm going to go with HARGE because theirs can fit using the stock mounts and I've heard that some of the other cheaper aftermarket ones don't work well at speed. They can flap/vibrate on the highway which can be very annoying.

I haven't heard anyone who owns the HARTGE so they may be no different. Hopefully for what they charge they take the time to select proper materials and doing the necessary R & D.

04-18-2011, 04:53 AM   #4
Z4@Phuket
Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Garage List
2009 BMW Z4  [8.00]
2004 BMW 525i  [0.00]
I don't like the OEM mesh either, especially at night
I replace the mesh with 5mm acrylic. Just go to any acrylic shop (where they make acrylic sign)
custom made one + OEM frame will give you a clean look and stability at high speed
Attached Images

Last edited by Z4@Phuket; 04-18-2011 at 05:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
taYab
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 E60 '09 E89 '14 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4@Phuket View Post
I replace the mesh with 5mm acrylic. Just go to any acrylic shop (where they make acrylic sign)
custom made one + OEM frame will give you a clean look and stability at high speed
+1. But I do love mesh look from the behind even if I am losing visibility.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
tot
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Costanza View Post
I don't like the mesh screens either. After doing recon on this I think I'm going to go with HARGE because theirs can fit using the stock mounts and I've heard that some of the other cheaper aftermarket ones don't work well at speed. They can flap/vibrate on the highway which can be very annoying.

I haven't heard anyone who owns the HARTGE so they may be no different. Hopefully for what they charge they take the time to select proper materials and doing the necessary R & D.
I have the HARTGE glass screen and it is very solid, no noises. I have tried only up to ~130 km/h with the roof down though.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
++

I want to convert mine now.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
KCZ4
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 s35i, 2007 997TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by integraworks View Post
I looked long and hard at all of the after-market 'solutions' before deciding to get the OEM screen. I am glad I did. Not only does it fit perfectly, it is very effective. When you buy the kit, you get the main screen (for between the headrests/rollbars), 2 small screens (for inside the headrests/rollbars) and 2 brand new headrest covers. Installation was a 'snap' with instructions I found online.

Use ebay to find a vendor with better pricing. I did and saved about $150.
Same experience here, really like the OEM screen.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
tbro
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Update?

Quote:
I like the idea. How has it been working out? Is it easy to remove and replace? Any downsides?

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
Quote:
nice! in the plans

Appreciate 0