New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-31-2015, 04:49 AM   #1
Trooper72
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i M-Sport

The right fresh air grille makes "creaking noise"...

Hi, in my 7000 miles driven Z4 35i I have started to hear creaking noise from the right (i.e. passenger side) fresh air grille or its surroundings. Sometimes it is there, sometimes not. The warranty expired in spring, so I would like to solve it by myself. So far I have eliminated the chance for the glovebox to make that creaking by adding felt to all plastic/plastic seams between the box and the dash.
The creaking stops if I press the lower part of the frame of the fresh air grille.
The right end of the trim panel is kind of weak, just a thin strip of panel below the grill. This may also be the culprit.

What I have not yet figured out is how to remove the grille from the dash/trim panel? Do I have to remove the "main" I-panel to do that? I.e., the one that goes from the center console all the way to the right end of the dash?

Have any of you "suffered" from similar creaking? If so, how did you fixed it?

This Z4 really is quite noisy in the cockpit; too much cheap plastic e.g., in the roll-over bars and in the bulkhead center covering :/
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 03:51 AM   #2
Trooper72
Rep

ok, part II. Yesterday was driving and "investigating" more of this creaking noise issue. It seems the air vent may not be the source, but it may be somethin that is attached to the "trim panel dashboard" itself, right below its top part on the passenger side. This something must be the airbag then?
Here where I live we the customers dont have access to any SIBs and the dealers arent willing to tell anything about them. Also the BMW warranty is only 2 years and not a day longer.
I wonder if any of you know any SIBs possibly related to this case; creaking noise coming from the right side of the dash, near the right fresh air grille or passenger side airbag behind the dash?
      08-01-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

The best way I found to cure dash creeks is to silicon spray every joint you can see.
There's lot's of plastic rubbing against each other, including the glove box, sun visors, vanity mirror covers..the list goes on.
The window seals to stop roof creeks get regular treatment.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 07:54 AM   #4
Trooper72
Rep

It is amazing who many rattles the Z4 cabin is generating. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that the body is too flexible, allowing joints to take impact.

The dealer was using the silicone spray as the cure, but it was a bit like having pain killers for cancer; no lasting effect. After 2-3 weeks the rattles came back.
Now that my car is no longer under warranty (i.e., I need to do it by myself), I have put very thin felt in all joints I can possibly access. But this creaking on the right side of the dash has been a real pain, as evidently I have not yet managed to locate the source of it. This evening I will investigate the airbag and its connection with the dash.

I have been wondering if this car was "made on Monday"... My earlier car, E92 M3, was completely without any creaks or rattles still after 47000 miles of hard driving.
The car before that, E90 335i, only had a creaking sport seat, that was finally fixed after far too many visits to the dealer. After it was fixed, everything was silent.