New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #23
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackey View Post
Try Invisible Glass and a microfibre cloth
Invisible Glass works perfectly *after weeks of streak-causing-Windex use*

Though the weird greasy layer reforms every two weeks or so.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #24
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

The Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasmir View Post

21k miles of living with near-ocean mist and I have NEVER used a window cleaner on the inside of my Z4. Ask me how!
http://www.asseenontv.com/windshield...l.php?p=296792

I carry this easy reach "as seen on TV" micro fiber towel with handle in the car along the tunnel and passenger seat and INSTANTLY with streak free results can clean my inside windows at a red light. ONE DRY swipe and it's new glass clean again.
THE BEST!

Last edited by z4z4z4; 02-04-2015 at 01:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #25
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4z4z4
Quote:

21k miles of living with near-ocean mist and I have NEVER used a window cleaner on the inside of my Z4. Ask me how!

I carry this easy reach "as seen on TV" micro fiber towel with handle in the car along the tunnel and passenger seat and INSTANTLY with streak free results can clean my inside windows at a red light. ONE DRY swipe and it's new glass clean again.
THE BEST!
LOL. By default, isn't THAT a window/windscreen washer???? And yes, you've used it countless times. I need one of these engineered to work on the inside same as the wiper on the outside!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #26
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

THE BEST!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baremeg55
LOL. By default, isn't THAT a window/windscreen washer???? And yes, you've used it countless times. I need one of these engineered to work on the inside same as the wiper on the outside!!!
He said he's never used a cleaner, like windex, not that he never cleans it. I too have a microfiber cleaner that I use dry and it works well.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #27
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykoh
Quote:
Quote:

THE BEST!
Quote:
He said he's never used a cleaner, like windex, not that he never cleans it. I too have a microfiber cleaner that I use dry and it works well.
And the ad for the product includes a bottle of liquid. I also said LOL. Do you have anything else to contributed to this discussion other than trying to correct someone? Oh, bite me!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #28
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

THE BEST!
Quote:
And the ad for the product includes a bottle of liquid. I also said LOL. Do you have anything else to contributed to this discussion other than trying to correct someone? Oh, bite me!!!
Jeez, man. Calm down. Why do people assume every post is a personal attack. I was simply clarifying his post, which does add to the discussion, as well as confirming its effectiveness by agreeing with him.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #29
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I might need to get that for my car if it starts to build up stuff on the windshield. I've only had mines for two weeks. I havent driven it much at all :/
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #30
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

THE BEST!
Quote:
Jeez, man. Calm down. Why do people assume every post is a personal attack. I was simply clarifying his post, which does add to the discussion, as well as confirming its effectiveness by agreeing with him.
I didn't need anyone to clarify the OP. I read his post, I can comprehend, and checked out the website. I will now add that you AND your clean windshield by means of a DRY microfiber cloth gadget can bite me!!!

I'm heading to the store for some Windex, then, will order a micro-cloth gadget....
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #31
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
...It's happening less now that its getting cooler...
I have also been thnking about this a bit more. I dont think it is outgassing that is causing this. I mena since my dash on both cars are leather and I know they werent cured with petroleum based products, I am still thinking that when we drive with the air set to auto we are getting the fumes from vehicles in our vehicles. it will simply pass right through the filter into the cabin. Think of it like this. when you are at home and the wife person makes a pot of coffee and the air conditioner kicks on even though you have a dense air filter in it the coffee smell fumes the entire house.

The fact that it is getting less because of the cold temps is that the grease or oil that other cars are emitting is also likely less now which means we arent getting fumed like we did before.

Although me living in florida i havent seen a change in it yet that i can confirm or deny this is the case.

I would be interest to know if anyone has cycled off the Auto function on the air conditioner in the vehicle and tried to see if that changes this dirt problem.

Anyone???
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #32
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've only driven my car for about 500 miles but every time I drive it, I made sure it is in recirculation mode. So far no buildup. I can't stand the odor from outside especially if you are behind an old or diesel vehicle. I've only driven it with the top down once lol
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #33
realroadrage
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Count me in the "glad I'm not the only one" category. The only glass I need to clean more often is my iPad screen. Very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #34
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
I've only driven my car for about 500 miles but every time I drive it, I made sure it is in recirculation mode. So far no buildup. I can't stand the odor from outside especially if you are behind an old or diesel vehicle. I've only driven it with the top down once lol
I bet if we all try something different like this we (the people) will be able to solve this issue for ourselves. If you get a film on your window try different settings on your AC. But do it for a week at a time and see if that makes any difference.

I think we make be on to something here.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #35
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
I bet if we all try something different like this we (the people) will be able to solve this issue for ourselves. If you get a film on your window try different settings on your AC. But do it for a week at a time and see if that makes any difference.

I think we make be on to something here.
I'm not buying that theory. If true, every car in Houston, especially if you travel a bit, would have windshields you couldn't look through after a day of commuting. Previous vehicles I've owned, with no AC filter, never had such a problem.

I can't state what is causing this film, but, not car exhaust. Last weekend did a road trip, over 1000 miles in 2-1/2 days, mostly rural, and windshield on the inside was all filmy. Also had the top down 75% of the time. Usually drive during the week with the top up, and haven't noticed any significant difference in film build up with top up vs top down....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #36
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
I have also been thnking about this a bit more. I dont think it is outgassing that is causing this. I mena since my dash on both cars are leather and I know they werent cured with petroleum based products, I am still thinking that when we drive with the air set to auto we are getting the fumes from vehicles in our vehicles. it will simply pass right through the filter into the cabin. Think of it like this. when you are at home and the wife person makes a pot of coffee and the air conditioner kicks on even though you have a dense air filter in it the coffee smell fumes the entire house.

The fact that it is getting less because of the cold temps is that the grease or oil that other cars are emitting is also likely less now which means we arent getting fumed like we did before.

Although me living in florida i havent seen a change in it yet that i can confirm or deny this is the case.

I would be interest to know if anyone has cycled off the Auto function on the air conditioner in the vehicle and tried to see if that changes this dirt problem.

Anyone???
No, I keep the auto circulation on. Works quite well to control odors -- drive with the roof down about >60% of the time anyway. Read somewhere that using just circulated air isn't a good idea either (drowsiness).

We think it's more because of the rain/water repellant coating the windshield seems to have. I could be wrong, but I think cleaning the outside has more of an effect on the film buildup than cleaning the inside.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #37
Romer
BMW and Toyota Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 sDrive30i

Several interesting theories. The man reason to post was to make sure I wasnt the only one. Now I know it's a feature. I'll give the recycle thing a try
      07-19-2018, 09:01 PM   #38
Romer
BMW and Toyota Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 sDrive30i

hmm, so my 2011 does the same thing as my 2009 did. I had forgotten about this feature and the air flow suggestion. Bumping this to the top in case others have solved it. Didnt see other threads in a search that discussed this
      07-20-2018, 04:39 PM   #39
impulsE89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2Porsches2Alfas2Bmw2Corvettes

My Theory

I have a glass cleaner that seems to cause this after I use it. A white film forms which is quite difficult to remove. More glass cleaner makes it worse the following day. I think it is absorbing moisture and forming a milky film. The name of it is Sprayway Glass Cleaner. It was recommended by the installer of the tint on my side glass. It comes in a spray can so it could be the propellant. DONT USE IT
I have had better luck (like above poster) with Invisible Glass from a spray bottle, not a can with propellant. It is very effective if you polish it with newspaper. Again the spray can version is not as good.
BTW my car does not outgas!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #40
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsE89 View Post
I have a glass cleaner that seems to cause this after I use it. A white film forms which is quite difficult to remove. More glass cleaner makes it worse the following day. I think it is absorbing moisture and forming a milky film. The name of it is Sprayway Glass Cleaner. It was recommended by the installer of the tint on my side glass. It comes in a spray can so it could be the propellant. DONT USE IT
I have had better luck (like above poster) with Invisible Glass from a spray bottle, not a can with propellant. It is very effective if you polish it with newspaper. Again the spray can version is not as good.
BTW my car does not outgas!
If you're driving an E89, it most certainly does outgas! And as for Sprayaway Glass Cleaner, I never use anything but this product on all my cars (along with lintless Scott blue paper towels) and have never experienced anything like what you describe. That's the reason that just about all glass installers recommend this cleaner!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #41
impulsE89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2Porsches2Alfas2Bmw2Corvettes

The reason Spray Way is recommended by installers is that it does not have Ammonia and is compatible with Tint film. I don't use it anymore. It looks good at first and the next day it is a mess. YMMV.
I find that Invisible Glass in spray bottles work best for whatever reason, probably the propellant in spray cans has something to do with it. Also, most paper towels streak (calm down ,I will try Scott Blue,)and btw my film installer does not recommend Micro-fiber cloths. Some detailers also say that microfiber clothes are difficult to get clean plus some laundry detergents can make them cause streaking.
And I was being facetious about the outgassing part. Should have added a moji for clarity. I was told my a GM guy that it is regulated by the EPA!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 03:18 AM   #42
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

My 2012 Z4 develops a film on the inside of the front windshield. I’ve had the car since new and it has always done it. I keep a microfiber cloth in my side pocket to wipe it practically before every drive. My 335i (both of them) and my X2 don’t do this. Only my Z4. My AC settings are the same on all of my BMWs. I have no idea why my Z4 develops this film. I just deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 07:51 PM   #43
Xpuzzle
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2011 Z4 35i

Here's a cool tip to get rid of that filmy residue inside your windshield.

Appreciate 1