New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
Oh Captain My Captain
With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayenne S

About to take delivery of my Z4 but.....

So the 35i that I ordered in November has finally arrived at the dealership. I took a quick look at the car but did not take delivery as I am leaving for a meeting/vacation. I planned on finalizing the deal upon my return on the 20th of Feb.

Given all the snow here in the North, I was not able to test drive the vehicle. The car could not even be dug out from its parking space in the outdoor lot the dealer holds his vehicles in.

Car looked great to me. I sat inside of it, did a cursory look around. It has the aluminum trim when I had asked for the Burl Walnut trim. A slight annoyance but I did not bring it up with the dealer (He was not with me when I went to check out the car as the showroom was short-staffed).

My wife, inspecting the outside, noticed that there were more than a few scratches on the front hood. They are not deep but are definitely visible. It is almost like the scratches you would see from a brush. Maybe from when they were clearing the snow off the car???

My wife informed the dealer of this over the phone, and was told that everything would be taken care of once it was detailed and prepped. It looked to me as if the "prep" had already occurred; there was a state inspection sticker on the windshield and you can tell from the photo that it is pretty clean. She also requested that the car be kept indoors until delivery and was told that it would be placed indoors the next day; this was on a Saturday so the "next day" would be Sunday and I know no one is working....More snow is coming this week to the area.

I have waited a long time for this car. I have a pretty good-sized deposit down too.

What would the good folks of this forum recommend I do? Don't take delivery of the car unless I'm 100% satisfied is the obvious course of action. Any other demands or helpful thoughts?
Attached Images

02-15-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
bobbydog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

If they made the mistake of ordering the metal trim instead of the wood trim, they can order the wood trim and change it out...no big deal.
As for the scratches, as long as they're surface scratches and have not touch the paint all they have to do is apply compound and it's as good as new.

BTW, the summer tires are VERY slippery in the snow, I wouldn't drive the car with snow on the ground.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 04:42 AM   #3
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

No hesitation if you are leasing...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

First - gorgeous wife.
Second - gorgeous car.
Third - Take it from me as someone that has had more than a little trouble with a damaged Z4 at delivery, have it detailed and sitting inside under the bright showroom lights before taking final delivery. If you have purchased this car you NEED to point out and document all problems BEFORE it leaves the showroom floor and probably refuse to accept it. If the paint issues are just a few scratches, the good news is you have a metallic paint - i.e. a two stage paint that makes it much easier to buff the scratches out of the clear coat. So, have your dealer take care of this buffing and see if it fixes the problem. Listen, you have bought a $65k+ car, makes sure it is right.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
Oh Captain My Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
No hesitation if you are leasing...
I am planning on buying the car.

I'll ask about changing out the trim or just leave it as is and change it out when I'm bored with it...Of course then it will cost me.....

Last edited by Oh Captain My Captain; 02-15-2010 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
Oh Captain My Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
First - gorgeous wife.
Second - gorgeous car.
Third - Take it from me as someone that has had more than a little trouble with a damaged Z4 at delivery, have it detailed and sitting inside under the bright showroom lights before taking final delivery. If you have purchased this car you NEED to point out and document all problems BEFORE it leaves the showroom floor and probably refuse to accept it. If the paint issues are just a few scratches, the good news is you have a metallic paint - i.e. a two stage paint that makes it much easier to buff the scratches out of the clear coat. So, have your dealer take care of this buffing and see if it fixes the problem. Listen, you have bought a $65k+ car, makes sure it is right.
Thanks. My wife thanks you as well.
Based on your experiences, I will fully make sure that all is "great" with the car before signing away. The downside is that with all the snow, and not knowing what the roads will be like this Saturday, I may not be able to take it out for a test drive beforehand.
      02-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #7
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
If they made a mistake on the trim and they cannot fix it to what you ordered AND if you are willing to accept it as is I would get them to reimburse the $500 you paid for the wood trim. It may take a little discussion but they will do it.

I had a similar issue with the SmartPhone adapter that the dealer thought that they installed and had them reimburse me $700 to cover the 6FL option and the cost of the Smartphone option and the iPhone cradle. I figure if I have to use it every day and think about not getting what I ordered they need to feel some pain as well !!

Good luck and enjoy !!!

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #8
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

you might be able to take it out for a thorough test drive but make darn sure it is detailed and under the showroom lights so that you can do a detailed visual inspection of every inch - I know this sounds crazy but you will thank yourself later
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
Oh Captain My Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
you might be able to take it out for a thorough test drive but make darn sure it is detailed and under the showroom lights so that you can do a detailed visual inspection of every inch - I know this sounds crazy but you will thank yourself later
How funny would it be if I couldn't even drive off the dealer's lot because of the snow?
      02-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Captain My Captain View Post
So the 35i that I ordered in November has finally arrived at the dealership. I took a quick look at the car but did not take delivery as I am leaving for a meeting/vacation. I planned on finalizing the deal upon my return on the 20th of Feb.

Given all the snow here in the North, I was not able to test drive the vehicle. The car could not even be dug out from its parking space in the outdoor lot the dealer holds his vehicles in.

Car looked great to me. I sat inside of it, did a cursory look around. It has the aluminum trim when I had asked for the Burl Walnut trim. A slight annoyance but I did not bring it up with the dealer (He was not with me when I went to check out the car as the showroom was short-staffed).

My wife, inspecting the outside, noticed that there were more than a few scratches on the front hood. They are not deep but are definitely visible. It is almost like the scratches you would see from a brush. Maybe from when they were clearing the snow off the car???

My wife informed the dealer of this over the phone, and was told that everything would be taken care of once it was detailed and prepped. It looked to me as if the "prep" had already occurred; there was a state inspection sticker on the windshield and you can tell from the photo that it is pretty clean. She also requested that the car be kept indoors until delivery and was told that it would be placed indoors the next day; this was on a Saturday so the "next day" would be Sunday and I know no one is working....More snow is coming this week to the area.

I have waited a long time for this car. I have a pretty good-sized deposit down too.

What would the good folks of this forum recommend I do? Don't take delivery of the car unless I'm 100% satisfied is the obvious course of action. Any other demands or helpful thoughts?
when I got my car, it was black and there were a number of marks and scratches on it in the showroom. I commented on it and they told me before I took it that it would be addressed. They did and it was to perfection. If you plan on driving the car, switch to snow tires and the wheels that are easy to clean for the winter. It takes just a short time to watch and clean the wheels, but I also have the multispokes for the winter. If you are not planning to get the winter tires, and then just take your time and remain calm and let them make it perfect for you. I found my dealership very very good with respect to making me happy with the cars paint.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

you got snow maybe for a good 10 days out so you wont enjoy it much now, ask them to get it perfect.
      02-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
Oh Captain My Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
you got snow maybe for a good 10 days out so you wont enjoy it much now, ask them to get it perfect.
Well, I plan on meeting with them this weekend so they have the work week to get things sorted out. I don't plan on driving the Z4 in the snow so I won't be looking at getting winter wheels put on it.

I guess this is the high anxiety of a big purchase along with the anticipation of getting the car after having waited so long. I can't control the weather but I can control the purchase...I have to remind myself of that.
      02-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #13
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Well, I plan on meeting with them this weekend so they have the work week to get things sorted out. I don't plan on driving the Z4 in the snow so I won't be looking at getting winter wheels put on it.

I guess this is the high anxiety of a big purchase along with the anticipation of getting the car after having waited so long. I can't control the weather but I can control the purchase...I have to remind myself of that.
if you dont plan on getting winter tires then you have lots of time to be very demanding. Have them put it inside in the showroom so you can do a very very close inspection of the paint for any defects or scratches. You shouldnt have to demand, you should just have to ask.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

I guess I should be glad that my car is still on the ship and not sitting at my dealership in Annapolis, MD given that we have over 3 feet of snow on the ground and more coming down right now. I am seriously considering swapping out the RFTs for some high performance all season tires such as the Continental DWS or Yokohama ADVAN S4s. I really don't plan to drive the Z in snow but might want to take a drive when temps are below 30. Based on experience in a 3 series on summer tires they get very hard at these temps and do not grip well at all even on dry roads. Be very careful when you drive your Z home from the dealer if temps are below 40 especially if the road surface is wet.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
Oh Captain My Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin49 View Post
Be very careful when you drive your Z home from the dealer if temps are below 40 especially if the road surface is wet.
I appreciate the forewarning. I may buy a set of "chains" for the tires to give a little extra grip for the ride home which is about 11 miles.
Something like this should help if the temps are at freezing....http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...questid=412409
      02-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #16
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

Be very careful putting chains on. There is not a lot of clearance so be sure they are strapped on as tight as possible. You sure don't want them slapping your wife'd new ride. BTW, I was born in Somerset, snow capital of PA. Can you believe this winter? We are just about to break the record for snowfall here in Hagerstown, as we are almost at 75" for the year and we still have at least a month of winter left. Hope all goes well on your trip home from the dealer.

Quote:
I appreciate the forewarning. I may buy a set of "chains" for the tires to give a little extra grip for the ride home which is about 11 miles.
Something like this should help if the temps are at freezing....http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...questid=412409
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #17
Oh Captain My Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott'sZ4 View Post
The car looks great.... and your wife is hot!
Stay on target
      02-16-2010, 03:11 AM   #18
evanirene
GTR
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E89 Z4

opps, but what a nice car you have ^^
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 04:03 AM   #19
bill123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott'sZ4 View Post
The car looks great.... and your wife is hot!
+1
      02-16-2010, 07:28 AM   #20
Oh Captain My Captain
United_States
Rep

My wife thanks everyone for the complements . She is still going to drive the Benz however .
      02-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #21
Oh Captain My Captain
United_States
Rep

So, should I be concerned or just upset ? My wife sent these photos of the Z4 today . The dealer did say it would be moved indoors. I was skeptical and proven correct. The dealer does still own the car and can do with it as they please I guess, but I'm not too happy to be lied to.
Attached Images

02-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #22
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
So, should I be concerned or just upset ? My wife sent these photos of the Z4 today . The dealer did say it would be moved indoors. I was skeptical and proven correct. The dealer does still own the car and can do with it as they please I guess, but I'm not too happy to be lied to.
i doubt they can move it with those tires... I guarantee it wont move, and i doubt they'll employ a tow truck just for your car. as long as they get it to you in 100% paint condition and with your correct dash, shud be ok.