New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
xoxoluvcrisxoxo
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i white/black

any problems i should be on the look out for?

trading in my e90 since cpo is gonna be done in about a year for an 09 or 10 e89 35i. is there any major things i should be on the look out for?
THANKS
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
sDrive35i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive35i

The twin turbos, very dangerous

2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35i
2010 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
xoxoluvcrisxoxo
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

indeeed, sounds very dangerous!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

HPFP
Cats going out
Rattles
Creaking Top

But otherwise you're good

Why not lease a new one? should be cheaper than buying a used one with the current rates
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Creaky Top- is usually just the rubber seal not making good enough contact with the black plastic strip on the deck of the trunk. All you need to do is wipe the rubber seal down with some rubber cleaner every now and then, and after washing the car. Problem solved.

Rattles - I've never experienced any rattles. This may not be a wide-spread issue. You would know if the specific car you are considering has any rattles, after the test drive.

HPFP - the issue may have already been fixed under warranty. Ask for all the BMW computer service data on any used Z4 you are considering.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

cats going out - Catless down pipes should take care of that lol
      07-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
xoxoluvcrisxoxo
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
HPFP
Cats going out
Rattles
Creaking Top

But otherwise you're good

Why not lease a new one? should be cheaper than buying a used one with the current rates
was considering a lease but in the end wont you spend more if you opt to purchase after lease? havent checked out the numbers yet w/ lease then purchase vs straight purchase
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
xoxoluvcrisxoxo
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@IND View Post
cats going out - Catless down pipes should take care of that lol
i wish i could run catless over here in cali. but such strict emmisions
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
xoxoluvcrisxoxo
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
Creaky Top- is usually just the rubber seal not making good enough contact with the black plastic strip on the deck of the trunk. All you need to do is wipe the rubber seal down with some rubber cleaner every now and then, and after washing the car. Problem solved.

Rattles - I've never experienced any rattles. This may not be a wide-spread issue. You would know if the specific car you are considering has any rattles, after the test drive.

HPFP - the issue may have already been fixed under warranty. Ask for all the BMW computer service data on any used Z4 you are considering.
thanks for the help! read around and normal treatment w/ pfledge should make the creaks go away :]
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
xoxoluvcrisxoxo
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

thanks for all your help and comments everyone!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoluvcrisxoxo View Post
was considering a lease but in the end wont you spend more if you opt to purchase after lease? havent checked out the numbers yet w/ lease then purchase vs straight purchase
You never really want to lease a car with the intention of buying it once the lease term is up. Since the Z4 leases have such a high residual value right now, the purchase price (equal to the residual value) at lease end may be higher than the market value of the car. Plus, you still have to pay sales tax, calculated on the purchase price.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:

Creaky top: Yes I know it's an easy fix, but it's still a PITA and annoying

Rattles: I have never driven any car (regardless of make or model) that did not have any rattles. You probably don't have a sensitive ear my friend.
Rattles are never an 'issue' as much as an 'annoyance'
It's a convertible, they're not quiet lol. but it's still annoying. My m3 rattles too.

HPFP has not been completely fixed and from the looks of it never will.
I had my HPFP replaced under the recall in April and it died and I got an Engine Malfunction in May.

I was at the dealer yesterday dropping my M3 off for some stuff and I ran into a couple of people who have 335is and were there for a new HPFP, after they had done the recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoluvcrisxoxo View Post
Read:
Quote:
You never really want to lease a car with the intention of buying it once the lease term is up. Since the Z4 leases have such a high residual value right now, the purchase price (equal to the residual value) at lease end may be higher than the market value of the car. Plus, you still have to pay sales tax, calculated on the purchase price.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #13
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Creaky top: Yes I know it's an easy fix, but it's still a PITA and annoying

Rattles: I have never driven any car (regardless of make or model) that did not have any rattles. You probably don't have a sensitive ear my friend.
Rattles are never an 'issue' as much as an 'annoyance'
It's a convertible, they're not quiet lol. but it's still annoying. My m3 rattles too.

HPFP has not been completely fixed and from the looks of it never will.
I had my HPFP replaced under the recall in April and it died and I got an Engine Malfunction in May.

I was at the dealer yesterday dropping my M3 off for some stuff and I ran into a couple of people who have 335is and were there for a new HPFP, after they had done the recall.

Read:
To clarify - One of the best things about my Z4 is that it does not have ANY of the annoying rattles my sensitive ear picked up with just about every one of the 10 or so new cars I've owned in the past 24 years. It is such a relief not to have any rattles for once.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 07-14-2011 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #14
jrothstein
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

Have my Z4 on order for August delivery to replace my end of lease 2008 328 coupe which honestly had absolutely horrible creaks and rattles. It practicaly ruined the whole driving experience; my friends ten year old Civic with 200,000 miles on it has less creaking. My passenger door creaks in turns, the cheap plastic cover on the driver seat controls creaks when you shift your weight, the dashboard creaks, etc.. Was really dissapointed with the cheap hard plastic they used throughout my 328. I gave up having the dealer fixing them as sometimes they just made things worse or even introduced new creaks. Certainly hoping my Z4, especially with the extended leather, ends up quieter than my 328 rattlebox.
Appreciate 0