New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #45
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

My Z4 is only 7 months old and has about 4000 miles, so I can't comment on long term reliability. But the initial build quality is the best of any car I have owned. I am a picky car nut, and probably have case of OCD when it comes to cars, but this car has been 100% perfect in every way. I am absolutely thrilled with it.

I have owned better sports cars, and the Z4 is far from perfect compared to its peers. Z4 steering feel is especially bad for example, handling is a bit vague, the shifter is unremarkable, and the clutch feel is tractor-like. But judged as a Z4, my s30i has been stellar so far. Let's hope that sticks (knock on wood).
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #46
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

ok, well a couple of things here. At least that dieter guy has stopped talking about wheels. So that in itself is a plus. Speaking for myself and jeremy clarkson, when the car first came out, I thought, they have finally built something to rival the z8. Between the double clutch, the gorgeous lines, the constant comments in traffic, the totall enjoyment of a roadster on a summer night, and clarkson stating that if he was told he would have to keep it for the rest of his life, and he would be delighted, thats exactly how I feel. My little black on black roadster will be with me for a long, long time. I will get and use other cars, but this one is a keeper.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #47
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Man, I missed this latest saga. Rolf is srsly losing it. Wow.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #48
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

..well, nobody likes being called out, when they think they are being slick.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #49
zcode
Rep
Drives: z4 35i

Have you any special offers for the E89 in the US right now?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #50
AlexH
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
Sorry, but your theory has a hole in it already >>>> There are ZERO new 35i on dealers lots in the entire Phoenix, AZ area. ...a select few 30i and 1 35is.

Is everyone still running as fast as they can to their nearest Porsche dealer to buy a 14 year old, tired looking body style Boxster?

Damn, I wish I had the Boxster Spyder with the cloth door handles. Just what I always wanted - a cloth loop for a car door handle on my overpriced $72k 14 year old looking car!!! ..but hey, that saved 3.25 lbs!!!!

Sadly enough, most Boxsters we see here in AZ are all driven by middle aged woman.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I am a big time BMW fan as I have owned 3 already, including an z4 coupe. But the latest one is a miss for BMW.

Here's Motortrend Comparison:
Comparison: 2010 Audi TTS vs 2009 BMW Z4 vs 2010 Nissan 370Z vs 2009 Porsche Boxster S.

1ST PLACE: PORSCHE BOXSTER S
Absolutely crushes the competition at the test track, but the gap is even greater on a canyon road. In a different league -- of one.

2ND PLACE: AUDI TTS
Impressive grip and overall execution, but more power and steering feel are necessary before it can even begin to compete with our winner.

3RD PLACE: BMW Z4 sDRIVE35i
Shockingly unrefined ride and disconnected chassis nearly put it in last place. Sensual styling and engine note are its only saving graces.

4TH PLACE: NISSAN 370Z ROADSTER
Pleases the pocketbook and power hungry, but a proper roadster needs to satisfy the eyes and ears as well.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

Only BMW can offer this kind of deal to move a $57k car.

Current Z4 sDrive35i Special Offers Impressions on an asphalt canvas. Well-equipped with Premium Package, 7-Speed Double Clutch Transmission and Destination charges. $439*/month for 24 months • $439 First months payment
• $2,750 Down payment
• $0 Security Deposit
• $725 Acquisition fee
• $3,914 Cash due at signing
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 12:51 AM   #51
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Well as the saying goes.. opinions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one and most of them stink. I'm sorry, but I buy the cars I drive because I like them not because of something some editor in a auto magazine has to say. I don't care if he likes the Boxster better. Have you ever seen the options list on a Porsche? And the never changing style? I mean seriously. How many times can you regurgitate the 911 design? As Top Gear has put it adeptly. Porsche has the laziest designers in the industry. There is more to a car than spec sheets. Sure if you want a track car the e89 isn't it. Buy an M for that purpose. To me the e89 is a perfect GT cruiser that can go fast when you want it to. Just out of curiosity what in your opinion makes the e89 a miss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexH View Post
Hey, don't get me wrong. I am a big time BMW fan as I have owned 3 already, including an z4 coupe. But the latest one is a miss for BMW.

Comparison: 2010 Audi TTS vs 2009 BMW Z4 vs 2010 Nissan 370Z vs 2009 Porsche Boxster S.

Absolutely crushes the competition at the test track, but the gap is even greater on a canyon road. In a different league -- of one.

Impressive grip and overall execution, but more power and steering feel are necessary before it can even begin to compete with our winner.

Shockingly unrefined ride and disconnected chassis nearly put it in last place. Sensual styling and engine note are its only saving graces.

Pleases the pocketbook and power hungry, but a proper roadster needs to satisfy the eyes and ears as well.

Current Z4 sDrive35i Special Offers Impressions on an asphalt canvas. Well-equipped with Premium Package, 7-Speed Double Clutch Transmission and Destination charges. $439*/month for 24 months • $439 First months payment
• $2,750 Down payment
• $0 Security Deposit
• $725 Acquisition fee
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:25 AM   #52
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Although I enjoy reading several car mags and reviews, editors have no influence on my decision on which car I should buy or drive. I base it on my experience during several test drives. There have been quite a few mixed reviews about this car. Porsche may constantly remain on top because of it's precise, sharp handling, but I want a fun, sexy, and still capable ride. The Z4 is a rockstar!!

Best I edit myself in these forums.....

Last edited by flpnout; 06-30-2011 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #53
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

[quote=AlexH;9925347]Hey, don't get me wrong. I am a big time BMW fan as I have owned 3 already, including an z4 coupe. But the latest one is a miss for BMW.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________
Yet, amazingly enough, I test drove all 4 cars, did my own personal review, and decided the 35i was the best car of the bunch. Imagine that!!

370Z - Where's the torque!!? Styling not for grown - ups. Rev match is a gimmick I don't need. Engine sounds like you are taxing it.
Boxster - Is it a 1998 or a 2011? They all look the same. ..and the Interior layout is just plain weird.
TTS - Not enough estrogen in my system to want one

When I see a 335i like the one you have, I yawn, just like everyone else does. How does it feel to have a car that looks just like thousands and thousands of others on the road each day? ..and I've driven one. Definitely not as fun to drive as the 35i.

Hey, don't get me wrong, the 335i is a decent car, but kind of boring, sorry.

We have some lovely parting gifts for you back stage. Thanks for playing, "I hate my boring 3 Series so I think I'll dis the e89"

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 06-30-2011 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #54
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Why is it always some guy w/ an old Z4 or a 335 that likes to talk junk about our cars? Srsly, it's getting old. The new Z4 is a success, end-of-story. It's less of a racer vs the older one but that in turn makes it a better overall car. Of course, I'd take my car over any 3-series any day of the week.

Besides, Motortrend has got to be one of the worst rags out there: weren't they in cahoots w/ Ford a while back, giving virtually every award to that lousy company? They don't have game, esp if they think that the TTS is a better car than the Z4, that's a laugh LMAO.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #55
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Why is it always some guy w/ an old Z4 or a 335 that likes to talk junk about our cars? Srsly, it's getting old. The new Z4 is a success, end-of-story. It's less of a racer vs the older one but that in turn makes it a better overall car. Of course, I'd take my car over any 3-series any day of the week.

Besides, Motortrend has got to be one of the worst rags out there: weren't they in cahoots w/ Ford a while back, giving virtually every award to that lousy company? They don't have game, esp if they think that the TTS is a better car than the Z4, that's a laugh LMAO.
Amen!!!

Once again, we have to ask- WHY do none of the e89 owners waste their time trolling the 3 Series forums, posting negative BS about the 3 Series?

It's because we are satisfied with the car we own and don't feel the need to dis another model just to make us feel good about our own car.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #56
Wraith.
Captain
Rep

MT are also the peeps that clocked the 35i at 4.3 to 60mph.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...09_bmw_z4.html

I've always wondered why the Motortrend article compared the Porsche Boxster "S" the Audi TT "S" and not the Z4 "S" model. I'm fairly certain the P. car would still come away with it, but with it's Power and Torque boost "iS" would be close. However, you cannot throw a stone in any direction around here without hitting a Coxster and, trust me, nobody in the crosswalk is looking at it when we are side by side at the light.

In reading various forums I've encountered quite a lot of disparaging remarks about the E89. Not surprisingly they all stem from non owners or current/former E85/E86 owners. I mean I don't blame them, this car is a big step up from the former models in all categories, I'd be a little bitter as well. Pulled up next to a silver Z4 coupe over the weekend... what an awkward bulbous mess. Tried to give the courteous "Z4 owner" acknowledgment wave, guy looked super annoyed. As for other models in the current BMW line up the newest iteration of Z4 makes, as Blue so delicately put it, look boring and pedestrian.

I feel that the E89 is a versatile jack of all trades. It's an upscale GT for sure and it's wonderful for summer getaways and longer trips. Luxurious boulevard cruiser that turns heads like an exotic (at least around here). A stunner top up or down which is rare for a HT vert, just look at the 3 series. Further, my 'iS' with it's factory tune and overboost torque is blisteringly fast which, I admit, does add a certain 'swagger' to my weekend driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #57
jpd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135

I too test drove the Boxster S, Audi TTS, and E89 i35. I liked the Boxster S the best, but seemed outdated and very expensive, fully 5K more expensive than E89. TTS underpowered and the vert handled ok but not even in the ballpark with the E89. The E89 is by far the most modern of the lot. Additionally, the 4yr service included in the price made my decision much easier.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #58
AlexH
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93

Quote:
Amen!!!

Once again, we have to ask- WHY do none of the e89 owners waste their time trolling the 3 Series forums, posting negative BS about the 3 Series?

It's because we are satisfied with the car we own and don't feel the need to dis another model just to make us feel good about our own car.
Take a chill pill my friend. I don't troll and visited this forum only to get an idea of the new Z4 as I am considering one because it's so CHEAP. My initial response was to the comment from a poster that I thought was bit arrogant. I didn't realize how much I rattled many others here and I guess the same attitude is exhibited and you.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #59
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Take a chill pill my friend. I don't troll and visited this forum only to get an idea of the new Z4 as I am considering one because it's so CHEAP. My initial response was to the comment from a poster that I thought was bit arrogant. I didn't realize how much I rattled many others here and I guess the same attitude is exhibited and you.
Wrong message to the wrong audience. An ounce of common sense would have dictated that.

Duh, this is the "Z4 Forum". We GET to make comments about the Z4 someone else might take as arrogant. If you don't like it, then, I guess that's too bad.

None of us post that kind of BS in your forum, because we actually have some common sense.

Do yourself a favor and get off this forum. You are digging yourself a hole that just keeps getting deeper with every word you utter.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 06-30-2011 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:45 PM   #60
zcode
Rep
Drives: z4 35i

Hey guys, when i see you prices for the z4. I have tears in my eye.

From such Prices i could never dream in germay. And service is also not included!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #61
dtp_jr
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

Quote:

• $2,750 Down payment
• $0 Security Deposit
• $725 Acquisition fee
If what MotorTrend had to say was true. How was the Stig able to do this on the Top Gear test track?

1:28.7 - Porsche Boxster S
1:28.2 - BMW Z4 sDrive35i (E89)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #62
Wraith.
Captain
Rep

True http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/powerlaps.shtml
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #63
dtp_jr
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

Quote:
It's not as special as you think it is. It's over-priced and does not match up to its competitor, Boxster. Demand is extremely low as every dealer has 10-20sitting on the lot. Hence, the lease specials from BMW to move them.
I was really surprised to read your statement since there is 1 Z4 total at the 3 dealerships in my area. I decided to check the dealerships in your area. Here are the results:

Nick Alexander Imports - 0
McKenna BMW - 2
South Bay BMW - 2
South Bay Torrence - 2
Beverly Hills BMW - 1
Long Beach BMW - 0
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #64
Wraith.
Captain
Rep

Ya that hole is getting deeper with each passing moment.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #65
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Amen!!!

Exactly, it's just not being a prick. I mean, when I was shopping around, I was very close to getting the TTS and was quite active in AudiWorld. It just so happened that I liked the Z4 better but you don't see me going on there and rubbing it in their faces. Performance-wise, I'm sure the Z4 is better but the TTS has 2 back seats for the coupe and it's still a great car. It just depends on one's priorities.

I sure as hell would not disparage someone else's choice out-of-nowhere and unprovoked. That's just being tactful and having some common sense. I really don't get some ppl sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #66
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Marien View Post
Wait....you're picking up yet another z....? That's three right...? Make sure not to get runflats!

EDIT: I see you still list your z in your 'garage'...thought you traded it for your current bimmer.
... well actually I am thinking of this one as my Sunday driver, it is a 2004 and just over $100K not bad for this Ferrari, well maintained one time owner and very low milage. Oh yes it does not have RFT no worries.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 06-12-2012 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0