New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-14-2023, 01:45 AM   #1
mxrc
VMax
Rep
Drives: BMW E89

High Side Air/Oil Separator with Custom Bracket

This might be helpful to someone wanting to mount something to this open area in the firewall. I couldn't find much information about the material within the insulation padding or whether there are any critical components behind the firewall itself.

So as far as the insulation, it's filled with a mixture foam and particulates like sand. It can be quite messy to cut into and you definitely need to empty out the padding of this stuff to flatten it to the firewall otherwise your mounting won't be that secure.

Secondly, you don't want to drill into the firewall too low. Keep the drill holes high and level with the bolt screw that's there from the factory. There's open ducting here so you won't hit anything important. You really only want to go about six inches lower from being level with the factory screw if you need to drill lower mounting points.

Other than that, not much else to it. Mount whatever you need there. It's free real estate - lots of room for activities.

------

About the bracket: I designed it in CAD. I also included a tab that slightly relocates the metal heat shield to make room for the plumbing. I'll be fabricating the plumbing for this soon. More on that later I guess, but probably not worth covering. It's just going to be the typical high temp silicon tubing that I'll be permanently bending and mounting.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 03:09 AM   #2
B21
Captain
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Very neat and professional installation
Appreciate 0