New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
MOTODAVEO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

35is to 28i ownership experience

Hi everybody. Long time lurker, first time poster. I recently took delivery at the performance center of a new Z4. I replaced a Space Gray/Coral Red Z4 sDrive35is with a Valencia Orange/Hyper Orange package 28i. Going in, I was concerned about going down 100 plus hp. I didn’t have a 28i available to test drive and ordered it without getting behind the wheel. Also I thought the 8 speed instead of dual clutch might be a little dull. But I wanted a cheaper payment and I have a 550i so I do have some speed in the garage. I spent some time on the forum looking for some 35 to 28 comparison. Hopefully someone will find this comparison helpful.

First of all, the 35is is a fantastic car. What a great noisemaker that car is. I love that rip through the revs. For me, the engine dominates the car. I joked that the 35is was more of a dragster. It always felt like the acceleration was the main focus of the car. Handling was second. Not that it was bad. It just felt like the acceleration “experience” with the power, sound and the dual clutch scored an A and the handling was a B. I always felt like the car was coiled and waiting to pounce and if that isn’t what I was doing it was impatiently waiting. “What are you doing? Slow down so we can rip through the gears again! And why aren’t you using launch control more?”

The 28i is a totally different car. I absolutely love the car. The power is great. It’s definitely slower than the 35is, but spool up the turbos and great thrust is there. Highway passing is incredible. No one would guess it’s a 4 cylinder from behind the wheel. If you drive at 1/3 throttle it feels like a low hp car. If you shift early and keep the pedal down and the boost up, it is fast. Great noises come from the turbo and exhaust. I drove a 328xi with the same powertrain and it was a totally different animal. They definitely worked on the sound to create a different experience in the Z4. You hear the turbo whistle, pops on deceleration and a rumbling exhaust. I don’t know what it sounds like exactly, but it’s not a four.

The difference between the 28i and the 35is reminds me of the differences between middleweight and liter class sportbikes. 600cc sportbikes are a blast to run through a few gears wide open. So is the 1000cc bike. But on the 600 you’ll be doing 80 mph and on the 1000 you’ll be doing 130. The 28i isn’t as fast but in no way does it equate to less fun. And you’re less noticeable to the authorities. Well, if you don’t get the Valencia Orange anyway.

What was surprising is somehow, for me, the 28i is more involving. The car needs you. If you’re in the wrong gear and get on it, there might not be a lot there. You can screw it up. But get it right and it’s very rewarding. You feel like you did it somehow instead of just pulling the trigger and watching it happen. It feels lighter overall and lighter handling. It is very easy to drive fast. It feels very balanced, great grip, and it’s really satisfying to keep it in the boost right and feel the surge. It’s an enthusiastic puppy dog of a car. The handling is way improved. The 35is always felt like it was skipping sideways over little bumps when cornering hard. The 28i feels just glued to the road. I did the Tail of the Dragon last week and couldn’t have been happier with the car.

Maybe a big portion is the tires. The 28i has 18s and my 35is had the 19s. I have read on the forum about people switching out the runflats and transforming the car. I just don’t want to sink much more money into a lease that I will have for 2 years. I will run the way the factory made it and in stock form, the 28i seems like a better package for my driving than the 35is.

I guess this is the reason for my post. I mainly wanted to throw in a word of support for the 28i. To me, the 28i and 35is are very different cars. Each is very fun to drive but for different reasons. I was reading the forum while I was waiting for my 28i to be built and shipped. I thought I might be getting an underpowered, watered down, two thirds version of my 35is. Which, frankly, would still be a great car. Instead, it’s a different Z4 with its own style of fun. And it’s a hoot!
Anybody else have the same feeling? What’s the old adage? It’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow? Am I just geeked over a new car or can a slower car be more fun?

Here’s a few photos…
Attached Images

10-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Hey OP welcome. Congrats on the new car.

I second your point about wheels going from 19s to 18s. My car came with 19" rft and I got a set of 18" rft and the handling was much improved. (less skipping over mid corner bumps exactly as you experienced)

Also, I tried out the 35i and 28i when I was shopping and thought the 28i sounded like an EVO when it started up. Great sound

You should do some HPDE. I used to use a 328i for HPDE and it was a ton of fun even though the power deficit was certainly there on the straights (I felt like I was in a four door miata or s2k in that it seemed more like a "handling" / "momentum" kind of car)

New car is always exciting and hope the forum posts don't get discouraging (especially mine, when I mention trying to offload my 35i for something else )
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
APDspider
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

Garage List
Never Drove the 3.5i, but I drove the 2011 inline 6.

I love my 2014 2.8i. Like you said, plenty of power. I drove the two one right after the other. I couldn't understand why I should spend more money for the bigger engine when the 2.8i was awesome.

Nice colors!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
hyper1
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013, Z4/28

135 to 28i

traded the 135 in Feb/2013 and ...wow, for a 4 cyl I was impress with the engine.
no regrets from me.
Now if I could found an after market for the air intake.........that be great.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

Nice machine and great color. Glad your happy with the switch.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

What a great post. Lovely new car. I also second the change of tyres (whether size or run flat) because moving to non run flat tyres on my car really has made me fall in love with it again, so comfy rather than crashy now.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
MOTODAVEO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

Thanks guys.

It is amazing what a difference tires make. It makes me wish I would have listened to the forum and replaced the runflats back on the is! But I'm too cheap the take off brand new tires.
      10-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTODAVEO View Post
Hi everybody. Long time lurker, first time poster. I recently took delivery at the performance center of a new Z4. I replaced a Space Gray/Coral Red Z4 sDrive35is with a Valencia Orange/Hyper Orange package 28i. Going in, I was concerned about going down 100 plus hp. I didn’t have a 28i available to test drive and ordered it without getting behind the wheel. Also I thought the 8 speed instead of dual clutch might be a little dull. But I wanted a cheaper payment and I have a 550i so I do have some speed in the garage. I spent some time on the forum looking for some 35 to 28 comparison. Hopefully someone will find this comparison helpful.

First of all, the 35is is a fantastic car. What a great noisemaker that car is. I love that rip through the revs. For me, the engine dominates the car. I joked that the 35is was more of a dragster. It always felt like the acceleration was the main focus of the car. Handling was second. Not that it was bad. It just felt like the acceleration “experience” with the power, sound and the dual clutch scored an A and the handling was a B. I always felt like the car was coiled and waiting to pounce and if that isn’t what I was doing it was impatiently waiting. “What are you doing? Slow down so we can rip through the gears again! And why aren’t you using launch control more?”

The 28i is a totally different car. I absolutely love the car. The power is great. It’s definitely slower than the 35is, but spool up the turbos and great thrust is there. Highway passing is incredible. No one would guess it’s a 4 cylinder from behind the wheel. If you drive at 1/3 throttle it feels like a low hp car. If you shift early and keep the pedal down and the boost up, it is fast. Great noises come from the turbo and exhaust. I drove a 328xi with the same powertrain and it was a totally different animal. They definitely worked on the sound to create a different experience in the Z4. You hear the turbo whistle, pops on deceleration and a rumbling exhaust. I don’t know what it sounds like exactly, but it’s not a four.

The difference between the 28i and the 35is reminds me of the differences between middleweight and liter class sportbikes. 600cc sportbikes are a blast to run through a few gears wide open. So is the 1000cc bike. But on the 600 you’ll be doing 80 mph and on the 1000 you’ll be doing 130. The 28i isn’t as fast but in no way does it equate to less fun. And you’re less noticeable to the authorities. Well, if you don’t get the Valencia Orange anyway.

What was surprising is somehow, for me, the 28i is more involving. The car needs you. If you’re in the wrong gear and get on it, there might not be a lot there. You can screw it up. But get it right and it’s very rewarding. You feel like you did it somehow instead of just pulling the trigger and watching it happen. It feels lighter overall and lighter handling. It is very easy to drive fast. It feels very balanced, great grip, and it’s really satisfying to keep it in the boost right and feel the surge. It’s an enthusiastic puppy dog of a car. The handling is way improved. The 35is always felt like it was skipping sideways over little bumps when cornering hard. The 28i feels just glued to the road. I did the Tail of the Dragon last week and couldn’t have been happier with the car.

Maybe a big portion is the tires. The 28i has 18s and my 35is had the 19s. I have read on the forum about people switching out the runflats and transforming the car. I just don’t want to sink much more money into a lease that I will have for 2 years. I will run the way the factory made it and in stock form, the 28i seems like a better package for my driving than the 35is.

I guess this is the reason for my post. I mainly wanted to throw in a word of support for the 28i. To me, the 28i and 35is are very different cars. Each is very fun to drive but for different reasons. I was reading the forum while I was waiting for my 28i to be built and shipped. I thought I might be getting an underpowered, watered down, two thirds version of my 35is. Which, frankly, would still be a great car. Instead, it’s a different Z4 with its own style of fun. And it’s a hoot!
Anybody else have the same feeling? What’s the old adage? It’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow? Am I just geeked over a new car or can a slower car be more fun?

Here’s a few photos…
Thanks for the post. I'm moving from 2011 35i to 2014 28i and I could have not made a better comparison.

Good job and enjoy.
Highest Regards
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Putzo
Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 E89 Z4 35is

Garage List
Welcome and thanks for the write-up!

Appreciate 0