New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Garbage Truck hit my Z4!!!

I hope it is just cosmetic damage to the drivers side rear fender, rear bumper and wheel. How much do you think I am looking at to fix it, replacing the fender and bumper and getting it painted and installed?

Insurance will cover it and hopefully the city could reimburse it but I'd still like to get an idea of how much this might cost if brought to a certified BMW collision center/repair facility?

Crappy iphone pics.

07-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
nickm9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i - Alpine White

Sorry mate, I know how much you love your car. Looks like they have kerbed the wheel too
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
E36ic4Me
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 & M3 Convertible

First off, have you tried lowering the top since this happened? Sometimes the lightest hit will knock a folding hardtops mechanisms just enough to prevent its operation.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
I love this car, my first roadster and I will never forget it and it is 6 months old, my plates hasn't even arrived yet (I never received the first ones they sent me).

And yeah the rear wheel got hit and hopefully that didn't cause any shift in the axle where it has to be fixed.
      07-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36ic4Me View Post
First off, have you tried lowering the top since this happened? Sometimes the lightest hit will knock a folding hardtops mechanisms just enough to prevent its operation.
Haven't tried it yet, will try and do it when I get the chance. That would suck if that is another thing that has to be fixed.
      07-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Sorry to see this man ... hope the city will pay the total bill. You ask about cost my estimate would be between $6K to $7K to repair this.

Good point E36ic4Me made about the top, have it checked out at the dealership if you can. Hate to see it stuck half way up or down when you try it at home. Best to do this t the place where they can help you out.

Good luck with the repair

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
You ask about cost my estimate would be between $6K to $7K to repair this.
Thanks! Would your estimate just be on the body work or including any problems with the rear axle and possible roof malfunction?
      07-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Looks like the rear panel and bumper is $1k already according to RealOEM so the least it'll cost might be around $3k with paint and new wheel.
      07-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfx45 View Post
Thanks! Would your estimate just be on the body work or including any problems with the rear axle and possible roof malfunction?
Does not include any mechanical work whatsoever. That is why I recommend you have BMW check it out. I assume you are not at fault and the city will pay for it. If it was my car I would make sure the repairs are carried out at a body shop that BMW uses for body work ... just to make sure the car is returned to it's original state so that there are no issues whatsoever once trade in time rolls around.

I once got bumped on my rear bumper of my M3. You could hardly see the damage. The fellow that hit me and I estimated the damage to be around $1K as it turned out total damage was $3,321- they found the rear bumper had hairline cracks and once they removed the bumper the support that holds the bumper in place was broken, both where replaced.

Pont being you will get an estimate, the final bill may look a lot different.

Once again good luck with the repair

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 07-26-2012 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: I screwed up with the dollars it was $3,321 not $2,321 final bill
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
Torn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 GTR

I got quoted around 5-8k for damage in the same area. They wanted to replace the rear quarter panel, bumper, repaint, rim, and blending.

This did not include any damage to an axle or hardtop functionality. Since I didn't have such problems arise.

Best of luck brother! Also try to receive some sort of devaluation of your car since its only 6 months old. And you can bet that this will hurt your carfax history. It is now a story car and you will definetely be hurt when it comes time to sell.

Ask me how I know.

Hope everything works out well!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Thanks for the tips.

Yeah, I'd have to go through my insurance and they'd have to go and submit a claim to the city and with California being broke, that might take a while before it becomes settled.
      07-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Thanks! Appreciate the wishes and support everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn View Post

Best of luck brother! Also try to receive some sort of devaluation of your car since its only 6 months old. And you can bet that this will hurt your carfax history. It is now a story car and you will definetely be hurt when it comes time to sell.
Do you know how it would affect if the car is a lease?
      07-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #13
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

the horror - soooooo sorry
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
Torn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! Appreciate the wishes and support everyone!

Do you know how it would affect if the car is a lease?
hmmm, tbh I am not quite sure. I am guessing, assuming you go through the BMW certified repair (I.E the stealership) you should be in the clear, since it was indeed repaired to BMW's standards?

I am not too sure on the matter though. When i was leasing my mdx, someone rear ended me and I was forced to replace the bumper. I did it through acura and the guy paid cash. So the carfax wasnt affected, but I didnt pay any additional out of pocket on my lease end.

Hopefully it is the same for you.

Also whether or not it takes your insurance a while to finish the claim with the city, they will repair your vehicle and all the time it takes will be up to the insurance to retrieve. It wont affect you or your car's repair times.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
hmmm, tbh I am not quite sure. I am guessing, assuming you go through the BMW certified repair (I.E the stealership) you should be in the clear, since it was indeed repaired to BMW's standards?

I am not too sure on the matter though. When i was leasing my mdx, someone rear ended me and I was forced to replace the bumper. I did it through acura and the guy paid cash. So the carfax wasnt affected, but I didnt pay any additional out of pocket on my lease end.

Also whether or not it takes your insurance a while to finish the claim with the city, they will repair your vehicle and all the time it takes will be up to the insurance to retrieve. It wont affect you or your car's repair times.
+1 this ^^^ I think further since the car is leased he should return the lease early and lease another car ... it might be his best move while it is fresh in BMW's hands and the milage is still low.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I still hope it has minimal damage but I really won't know til I get an inspection.

I really do not want to bring it to the dealership to get fixed though, maybe just a BMW certified repair shop, I believe shops like those exist that isn't part of a dealership. I just have a feeling the dealership will charge at least twice as much as an independent BMW certified shop. The insurance company should have some shop suggestions too, I'll see what shops they choose for the cars repair.

Also, Torn, just curious but how long did your take to get fixed? I'd really hate for the car to spend a couple of months in the shop while I am paying for it. I'd like to drive it as much as possible.
      07-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
+1 this ^^^ I think further since the car is leased he should return the lease early and lease another car ... it might be his best move while it is fresh in BMW's hands and the milage is still low.
I'm not sure I'd want to return the lease early and pay the fines. Plus I specifically got this car as a lease because I am waiting for the new Cayman to arrive and will likely go with that or the new 911 when the Z4s lease is up.
      07-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #18
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I still hope it has minimal damage but I really won't know til I get an inspection.

I really do not want to bring it to the dealership to get fixed though, maybe just a BMW certified repair shop, I believe shops like those exist that isn't part of a dealership. I just have a feeling the dealership will charge at least twice as much as an independent BMW certified shop. The insurance company should have some shop suggestions too, I'll see what shops they choose for the cars repair.

Also, Torn, just curious but how long did your take to get fixed? I'd really hate for the car to spend a couple of months in the shop while I am paying for it. I'd like to drive it as much as possible.
I'd be very surprised if the Insurer wasn't given a different pricing that a member of the public.

Many years ago over here in Oz we used to get "Insurance Quotes" which were double or more of what it actually took to get the job done, because the small paint and panel shops liked to rip off the insurance companies.

Now days the insurance companies are a lot smarter. They do blanket deals with "approved repairers" and they get much lower prices that the man in the street.
Its still the same job, but the insurer is effectively using their buying power to get a better price.

We have the same deal with medical insurance over here. If you pay for it yourself in a private hospital you get screwed big time, and if you stay in an non-approved hospital you get hit with a gap payment, but if you stay in an approved hospital that has a deal with the insurer then you can usually walk out and only pay for the phone usage.

You would be surprised at how effective this is in controlling the industry, as most big ticket panel work has to come from the insurers.
I would be very surprised if there was not a local "BMW approved" repairer that is on yoru Insurance companies "approved" list as well.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Bummer, hope it gets fixed up good as new!
      07-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #20
Torn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Well I didn't take mine for repair at BMW since a fellow friend/car enthusiast owns a very reputable repair shop. He owns a 996 turbo and does all types of work on all cars, exotics and the like. I had him handle it and he did a phenomenal job. He had it for a week.

Btw it all depends on securing the body panels, parts, and oem paint in all honesty. BMW told me I would most likely be waiting at least a month for parts and maybe more for labor.

I had him repair my current body panels which took him about 40 hours work just to restore and then used filling to finish the repair between the quarter panel/bumper. He saved me a fortune and did marvelous work. I got screwed on the police report, in case you are wondering why I didn't go through insurance....

Last edited by Torn; 07-26-2012 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #21
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not sure I'd want to return the lease early and pay the fines. Plus I specifically got this car as a lease because I am waiting for the new Cayman to arrive and will likely go with that or the new 911 when the Z4s lease is up.
I only mentioned the early return since here in Canada there is no fine only if you return it and get nothing else there is a hefty fine for early return. if you return a lease and lease another car at the same dealer then there would be no early return penalty. This might be different in the US.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #22
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Quote:
Well I didn't take mine for repair at BMW since a fellow friend/car enthusiast owns a very reputable repair shop. He owns a 996 turbo and does all types of work on all cars, exotics and the like. I had him handle it and he did a phenomenal job. He had it for a week.

Btw it all depends on securing the body panels, parts, and oem paint in all honesty. BMW told me I would most likely be waiting at least a month for parts and maybe more for labor.

I had him repair my current body panels which took him about 40 hours work just to restore and then used filling to finish the repair between the quarter panel/bumper. He saved me a fortune and did marvelous work. I got screwed on the police report, in case you are wondering why I didn't go through insurance....
Oh ok, that explains it. Thanks for the info. Before I read the last sentence I was trying to figure out why you didn't go through the insurance company. Sorry to hear about being screwed in the police report, hopefully mine went smoothly but I really have no idea what excuse the truck driver would give the cops so I really hope no problems occur. The state being broke doesn't help either.

The car seems drivable, I got to double check the axle to see if there are some swaying on higher speeds but as long it's just cosmetic damage, I can wait a month and drive around with the damaged body. So again, I got my fingers crossed.

Quote:
I only mentioned the early return since here in Canada there is no fine only if you return it and get nothing else there is a hefty fine for early return. if you return a lease and lease another car at the same dealer then there would be no early return penalty. This might be different in the US.
There is definitely a fine, and a huge one at that, if I returned the car early. Sometimes they do offer to let you return the car early w/o a fine if there are a only couple of months left and you get a car from them as well.