New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #23
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin49 View Post
You folks need to do an European Delivery! I drove my E93 with the top down at 145 mph and I can tell you it was exhilarating. That said, while the car seemed pretty stable it was very nerve wracking. I stayed in the left lane for a while but had to move over several times for a couple Porsches and Benzes. Slowing down to around 125 seemed much more comfortable.
I know the feeling ... been there done that .... I go back to the old country every 3 years or so Next time I will take a ED just not sure if it ever will be a BMW again, I am fairly disappointed with BMW to sell there fine cars with RFT and not giving us a choice. I might change my mind in 2 years from now, only time will tell.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #24
Frankbrot
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35is

Thanks for the replies. My previous car was an '07 Porsche 911 Turbo, and I'm missing some of that acceleration. But then the speed limiter has nothing to do with acceleration, does it. And I never drove the Porsche over 150 mph anyway. I also race motorcycles but have never been over 150 on one of those either. I guess I'm just another one of those idiots who just wants to know the car would do 180 if I wanted to! And I want to look down at the speedometer and see 200 mph that the needle could reach if I wanted to! It must just be a testosterone/ego kind of thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #25
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
I'm gonna disagree with you there. The limit has been imposed since the middle 80's. The limit was chosen at a time when 250 km/h seemed insanely fast. Not so much today. Besides, if fear of component failure was the true reason than why oh why can you get an M5 or M6 from the factory with a limit of 305 km/h? Porsche doesn't put in a limiter either. Apparently they aren't concerned with component failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
Sorry marcw, not entirely true.

The speed limit of 155mph or 250kph, is the limit at which other components can withstand being pushed for an extended period of time. think about it in terms of the bugatti, the gasoline runs out in 12 mins at top speed because the tires will give out at 15mins. so it's a way of making sure your car lasts a good length of time because they know the consumer will be at risk and or doesn't have the budget like an F1 team to use an engine per race or three sets of tires per day.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #26
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

This is my favorite video to watch. An M6board member posted it a few years back. 332kph (206 mph) in a slightly modded US spec M6 on the Autobahn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O89UWHnFUl0

206mph looks sooo easy like it was a Sunday drive. Wait, it was....
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #27
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

And that thing was rock steady. Very impressive. His exhaust had a nice throaty note.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #28
T89
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i & Mini Cooper S

After maxing out my car on the autobahns at 250kmh, 140kmh on the highway back here in Switzerland feels so slow. I feel sorry for you guys in the states. 55mph-65mph is way too slow.

T
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #29
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T89 View Post
After maxing out my car on the autobahns at 250kmh, 140kmh on the highway back here in Switzerland feels so slow. I feel sorry for you guys in the states. 55mph-65mph is way too slow.

T
Pity us. There are two kinds of drivers in the U.S. Those who drive 10 mph below the 65 mph speed limit (and are usually permanently stuck in the left lane!) and those who drive 10 mph faster (and have to deal with the first kind.) My Z4 and I belong to the second category.

And then there's the state of Connecticut where, in addition to the soccer mom in a minivan or the retiree in a Buick, we have the "rich blonde trophy wife taking two lanes with her Land Rover while talking on the phone" and the "hedge fund manager in a 911 Turbo driving 20 mph below the speed limit". Those make owning a fine sports car like the Z4 very challenging at times...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #30
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Very true. Frankly, I wouldn't want unlimited speed on american highways the way some people drive over here. At least on the Autobahn there are some rules that are strictly followed by everyone. Not that going 165mph on a two lane road with tons of trucks isn't challenging mind you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
And then there's the state of Connecticut where, in addition to the soccer mom in a minivan or the retiree in a Buick, we have the "rich blonde trophy wife taking two lanes with her Land Rover while talking on the phone" and the "hedge fund manager in a 911 Turbo driving 20 mph below the speed limit". Those make owning a fine sports car like the Z4 very challenging at times...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #31
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
Very true. Frankly, I wouldn't want unlimited speed on american highways the way some people drive over here. At least on the Autobahn there are some rules that are strictly followed by everyone. Not that going 165mph on a two lane road with tons of trucks isn't challenging mind you.
I comes down to driver education. Which is mostly inexistent here in the U.S.

And don't get me started on the subject of security inspections. Many cars would disintegrate above 100 mph...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #32
T89
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i & Mini Cooper S

Quote:
I comes down to driver education. Which is mostly inexistent here in the U.S.
Agreed. Standards in Europe are much higher. Here in Switzerland. It's compulsory to do advance driving courses. Hard braking, hard cornering etc in dry and wet conditions to test the limits of your car. Quite a lot of fun actually. In addition, we need to take first aid training and defensive driving courses.

T
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #33
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Pity us. There are two kinds of drivers in the U.S. Those who drive 10 mph below the 65 mph speed limit (and are usually permanently stuck in the left lane!) and those who drive 10 mph faster (and have to deal with the first kind.) My Z4 and I belong to the second category.

+1

I overtake trucks very fast on account that I like to reduce the danger of there tires blowing up in my face

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #34
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T89 View Post
Agreed. Standards in Europe are much higher. Here in Switzerland. It's compulsory to do advance driving courses. Hard braking, hard cornering etc in dry and wet conditions to test the limits of your car. Quite a lot of fun actually. In addition, we need to take first aid training and defensive driving courses.

T
Being European and having learned to drive there, I just shake my head at what drivers do here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
+1

I overtake trucks very fast on account that I like to reduce the danger of there tires blowing up in my face
Happened to me once on I-95 in NC. Very scary. The whole side of my rental car was ruined. Gotta love the Loss Damage Waiver!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #35
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Being European and having learned to drive there, I just shake my head at what drivers do here...

Happened to me once on I-95 in NC. Very scary. The whole side of my rental car was ruined. Gotta love the Loss Damage Waiver!
I saw it happen in front of me (was waiting for the fellow to get out of the way) then the truck tire exploded. The fellow was not as lucky as you, he is now 6 feet under.

My average speed overtaking a truck is around 120 MPH this is where the power comes into play

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 01:11 PM   #36
stehamm
Rep
Drives: Z4 e89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
Sorry marcw, not entirely true.

The speed limit of 155mph or 250kph, is the limit at which other components can withstand being pushed for an extended period of time. think about it in terms of the bugatti, the gasoline runs out in 12 mins at top speed because the tires will give out at 15mins. so it's a way of making sure your car lasts a good length of time because they know the consumer will be at risk and or doesn't have the budget like an F1 team to use an engine per race or three sets of tires per day.
This is absolutely and completely wrong 🤣
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 04:37 AM   #37
Jakeinaka
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stehamm View Post
This is absolutely and completely wrong 🤣
14 years later......
Appreciate 0