New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-08-2009, 05:49 AM   #23
tiborakos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by godius View Post
Or just find a local car wash station, and pay 1 euro per wash
1 euro??? u must be kidding...we pay a lot more here...at least 7-8 euros...and can go to 15! rich greece...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #24
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiborakos View Post
1 euro??? u must be kidding...we pay a lot more here...at least 7-8 euros...and can go to 15! rich greece...
I think (and Godius will be able to confirm), he's refering to the Do It Yourself stations where you wash the car yourself. Not the hand wash ones.

Is this what you were thinking of? Because a simple hand wash here in London costs about £5/£6 (€6/€7). Not that I would bring my Z4 to them; they scratch they take the dirt of alright but ruin the paint work!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #25
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
Memphis - thx for the tip on the simple green but not quite sure of the ph.. I think I will stick with the McQuires wash and the Zaino products I have been using on my BMW's for the past 5 years.....

I just picked up my Z4 yesterday - ended up with Sapphire Black with Tan leather. In looking at a lot of the photos on this thread and others I noticed that mine has the BLACK grill vs. the chrome.. I wonder why ??? Is it a 2009 vs. 2010 difference ??

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #26
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon18 View Post
Memphis - thx for the tip on the simple green but not quite sure of the ph.. I think I will stick with the McQuires wash and the Zaino products I have been using on my BMW's for the past 5 years.....

I just picked up my Z4 yesterday - ended up with Sapphire Black with Tan leather. In looking at a lot of the photos on this thread and others I noticed that mine has the BLACK grill vs. the chrome.. I wonder why ??? Is it a 2009 vs. 2010 difference ??

30i has black grills, 35i has chrome grills
      12-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #27
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Speeeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccis View Post
I think (and Godius will be able to confirm), he's refering to the Do It Yourself stations where you wash the car yourself. Not the hand wash ones.
yup you are correct.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #28
Micky Dee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW sdrive 3.0i

Garage List
I've heard that excessive use of a jetwash can degrade the sidewalls of tyres leading to potential failure. Anyone else heard this?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #29
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
yup, clarkson is funny! BTW I wash my car every weekend.
clarkson is not only funny but after testing a bunch of cars, I find his reviews bang on. He has a way of being funny and very informative. they arent the top show for nothing.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #30
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Speeeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan64 View Post
clarkson is not only funny but after testing a bunch of cars, I find his reviews bang on. He has a way of being funny and very informative. they arent the top show for nothing.
Totally agree. And im glad he really liked the z4. His quote:

"honestly, if someone said to me, you would have to have one of these for the rest of your life, I would be delighted!"

I still cant get over Hamsters face when he's sat in the Z4 in the studio. He looks like a 8 year old boy, so happy in the new Z4.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #31
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Didn't want to start a new thread. I spray wheels 1st, use carwash detergent on those w/ wheel scrubber; rinse wheels; spray the car; use car wash detergent on car w/ sponge; rinse/california blade the water/chamois the rest+dry the wheels; detail rest (plastics/leather/glass/lights/vacuum). It takes me 3.5 hours to complete!

My question is my chamois (generic brand) SUCKS! It doesn't suck up the water and is literally breaking up in little pieces on my car's surface. I want to know what is a good alternate material or product/other chamois brand you'd recommend to do the job right? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 02:19 AM   #32
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 2.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
My question is my chamois (generic brand) SUCKS! It doesn't suck up the water and is literally breaking up in little pieces on my car's surface. I want to know what is a good alternate material or product/other chamois brand you'd recommend to do the job right? Thx.
Use a good micro fiber towel, soaks up TONS of water and doesn't scratch at all, they are great for eveything.

http://www.autogeek.net/microfiber-buffing-towel.html

I get mine here cause these are one of the few folks who will ship to an APO address.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 03:17 AM   #33
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Rain - wash
Sun - dry

simple.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 04:42 AM   #34
Otago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive 30i manual

Some people treat your cars like a baby!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 04:43 AM   #35
Otago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive 30i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Rain - wash
Sun - dry

simple.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 07:04 AM   #36
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I wash my car by hand (using a high quality sheepskin wash mitt, another (recycled/previous) wash mitt for the wheels), every weekend. I use a high quality dishwasher detergent. Every six months the car gets the full treatment using Zaino Products (I have all there car cleaning products and love them).

Once a year my car gets treated to a BMW spa treatment

As a brush for the wheels I use a good bottle brush, I stick the bottle brush into an old sheepskin wash mitt to get every inch of the wheel (I find doing it weekly keeps the wheel looking like new). I may get the BMW brush set, checked the price $59.95 Canadian before the 13% tax, I might get them in the US next time I'm down that way.

My pressure washer is with a friend, have to get it back and try it on my wheels.

I plan to remove my wheels 3 to 4 times a year while I inspect them for cracks then will clean them 100% before remounting.

Memphis, what you pay for your BMW brush set?

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 09-12-2010 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: added a sentence about the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #37
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I found this thread .... the fellow really goes to town on his car something a rain and sun treatment can never accomplish ........................... here is looking at you Dr Stig 2

Looks like this fellow means business from the word go ... lots of pictures

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #38
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccis View Post
Yep....I have the same alloys too. 18" multispoke! Nice but what a pain!

Don't know about memphis but I can't reach the back. I use Autoglym's Hi-Tech Wheel Brush and Autoglym's Custom Wheel Cleaner (it's non acidic). Perhaps it's because it's non acidic that it takes more work to get the alloys clean.

I'll probably take the wheels off and clean the back of the wheels in spring. I'll also wax them before putting them back on. Only picked the car up 2 weeks ago and it's done little else but rain so haven't had the chance to do a proper detailing job on the car.
you know for the life of me I cannot figure out why you think these 18 inch multispokes are a pain?? I go to the carwash that is done by myself. Pick up the wand and pressure wash the wheels in 3 seconds for each one. They come out clean as a whistle. Yes, the wheels get brake dust on them over time, but it comes off in a flash. They certainly are not a pain to clean that way??
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #39
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan64 View Post
you know for the life of me I cannot figure out why you think these 18 inch multispokes are a pain?? I go to the carwash that is done by myself. Pick up the wand and pressure wash the wheels in 3 seconds for each one. They come out clean as a whistle. Yes, the wheels get brake dust on them over time, but it comes off in a flash. They certainly are not a pain to clean that way??
I guess it's a pain to ppl w/o access to a pressure washer. 20-spokes is a lot to clean though (vs 5 or whatever's the minimum spoke # for the Z4)!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #40
tot
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckB View Post
Use a good micro fiber towel, soaks up TONS of water and doesn't scratch at all, they are great for eveything..
I second that. I used to hate drying the car until I found micro fiber towels, perfect result and fast. I use them everywhere, big ones for drying and small ones for detailing and wiping the interior.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #41
Horsedoc67
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 35i Z4 2011 X3 35i

I wash my Z with the Mr Clean device avail. at most auto stores in the US (Autozone etc and some supermarkets) It has a cartridge that deionizes the final rinse water and it also has a special soap that rinses clean and with essentially no water spots, the final drying is done with clean microfiber towels. I clean the windows with deionized water in a spray bottle and microfiber towels. Twice weekly I spray the car lightly with deionized H2O and wipe clean using several towels not allowing them to get very soiled. I then go over the car with Turtle Wax Spray Detailer and micro towels. For the wheels I just use the MrClean soap and the afore pictured BMW Brushes. The key to no scratches is using clean towels, avoiding wash mitts and chamois because they always retain grit that will scratch. Use a clean microfiber towel as a mitt. I keep a large quantity of towels on hand(cheap at Costco) and launder them with detergent and hot water. If they get badly soiled with grease,oil, etc I toss them.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #42
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread. I spray wheels 1st, use carwash detergent on those w/ wheel scrubber; rinse wheels; spray the car; use car wash detergent on car w/ sponge; rinse/california blade the water/chamois the rest+dry the wheels; detail rest (plastics/leather/glass/lights/vacuum). It takes me 3.5 hours to complete!

Good friend of mine uses just soft bath towels to dry his car, works for him.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 03:39 AM   #43
zeez_Dubai
Private
Rep
Drives: Orion Silver Bmw Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedoc67 View Post
I wash my Z with the Mr Clean device avail. at most auto stores in the US (Autozone etc and some supermarkets) It has a cartridge that deionizes the final rinse water and it also has a special soap that rinses clean and with essentially no water spots, the final drying is done with clean microfiber towels. I clean the windows with deionized water in a spray bottle and microfiber towels. Twice weekly I spray the car lightly with deionized H2O and wipe clean using several towels not allowing them to get very soiled. I then go over the car with Turtle Wax Spray Detailer and micro towels. For the wheels I just use the MrClean soap and the afore pictured BMW Brushes. The key to no scratches is using clean towels, avoiding wash mitts and chamois because they always retain grit that will scratch. Use a clean microfiber towel as a mitt. I keep a large quantity of towels on hand(cheap at Costco) and launder them with detergent and hot water. If they get badly soiled with grease,oil, etc I toss them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I wash my car by hand (using a high quality sheepskin wash mitt, another (recycled/previous) wash mitt for the wheels), every weekend. I use a high quality dishwasher detergent. Every six months the car gets the full treatment using Zaino Products (I have all there car cleaning products and love them).

Once a year my car gets treated to a BMW spa treatment

As a brush for the wheels I use a good bottle brush, I stick the bottle brush into an old sheepskin wash mitt to get every inch of the wheel (I find doing it weekly keeps the wheel looking like new). I may get the BMW brush set, checked the price $59.95 Canadian before the 13% tax, I might get them in the US next time I'm down that way.

My pressure washer is with a friend, have to get it back and try it on my wheels.

I plan to remove my wheels 3 to 4 times a year while I inspect them for cracks then will clean them 100% before remounting.

Memphis, what you pay for your BMW brush set?
i just went through this thread and OMG if our wifes / partners just go through it we are soo screwed. lol
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 05:42 AM   #44
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

^What do you mean?
Appreciate 0