New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
Just_me
Captain
Rep
Drives: RWD

My Z4 sDrive23 test drive (including Audi TT)

Today I had the opportunity to try out both Audi TT Roadster (4-cylinders, Quattro, 200hp/280nm, DSG) and BMW new Z4 Roadster sDrive23 (6-cylinders, RWD and 204hp/250nm, Manual).

I like the TT ,both exterior and interior. Engine sound is really nice but the engine doesn’t feel lively, not engaging enough for me. Unfortunaly its the same engine you find in the Scirrocco that I want to buy some day. For me you defintely need to let somone chip the engine for you.
The seats in Audi TT are very nice, you sit good and comfortable and the interior has a good quality feel.
My opinion regarding DSG/SMG is always changing but today I preferred manual gearbox.
Its more engaging to explore a car if it comes with a manual gearbox.
Audi TT looks good, no doubt but I miss the Roadster feel which lead me to another car, the new BMW Z4.

You read all the reviews telling you the new Z4 has become more mature and comfortable. I can agree on this, my first encounter with the new Z4, just by sitting inside the car, you felt the car has grown up and become more roomier but lost some of it’s sporty appeal.

When I drove the previous generation Z4 Coupé 3.0si I fell in love instantly. You sit low, you see a long front end with no end in sight. You sit tight and the Roadster feeling is fantastic.

So can the new Z4 match the old Z4?
I was pleasant surprised by the new Z4. The Roadster feel is absolutly there, once again you see the long front end with no end in sight. You sit low and steering and gearbox is wonderful. The Roadster feel is still there. It feels special with a small Roadster but the Audi TT can’t match the new Z4 in terms of Roadster feel.

The Z4 came with manual gearbox and in space grey and with 17” wheels. Not my color choice and bigger wheels are needed. EDC suspension with three different settings, normal, sport and sport+ mode.
In normal the car reminds me of my own car, the steering is light and very useful for citydriving or when you need to park the car.
According to BMW, when you choose sport , the chassi lowers 10 mm and throttle and steering become better. In sport+ DSC is deactivated.
I didn’t notice any changes in throttle response but the steering is improved. The steering become meater/heavier and more accurate. If it was for me to decide I would always use sport mode, suits the new Z4 and me much more.
Even in sportmode the car feels more comfortable than previous Z4.

The new Z4 has one major disadvantage and its the 100 -150 kg extra weight over other Roadsters in this segment. If the new Z4 came with a fixed roof or a cloth roof it would be closer to the competition in terms of handling and agility. It would make the fantastic Z4 even more fantastic.

Even 30 minutes after I return the Z4 to the dealer, I felt excited, happy and positive that the Z4 once again succeed to impress me. The new Z4 is still a fun car to drive.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Nice review thanks for sharing! Glad to hear it compares favorably to the TT and previous generation z4
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Hi,

Thanks for your review.

About the weight, the 23i manual weights only 65kg more than the test driven TT Quattro TFSI 2.0.

The new TTS Quattro TFSI (272hp,350nm, 0-62mph 5,4sec) weights 1575kg. So the Z4 35i DSG difference is only 25kg.

EdP
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Just_me
Captain
Rep

According to this test, the weight differences are much bigger

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8381/scan010003.jpg

Only the hardtop on the Z4 weigh 150 kg.

Do not trust BMW webpage about the weight of Z4.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 04:22 AM   #5
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_me View Post
According to this test, the weight differences are much bigger

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8381/scan010003.jpg

Do not trust BMW webpage about the weight of Z4.
I have copied the specs from http://www.autoweek.nl/autovergelijker.php?cache=no.
They have an car compare option. The 'leergewicht' (no fuel and driver included) for the Dutch authority approved weigth is 1475 TTS, 1500 Z4 35i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_me View Post
The additional weight of the alu hardtop including all the moving part is only 30 kg. But also items like the dual exhaust gains the cars weight >35kg.

EdP
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
siscobmw
freude am fahren ....scheiden freude...
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive30i tiefseeblau

I took my car last week to the place where truck/lorry driver go to check weight of thei load....
my 30i weighs about 1510kg....

and just to remember:
adaptive suspensions are ALWAYS 10mm lower than standard cars,whateve setup you are choosing(normal sport sport+)...
Francesco
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
Just_me
Captain
Rep

I've already read two comparisons (autozeitung,automotorsport) between Z4, TT, Boxster.
Both TT,Boxster handles much better than the new Z4.
The new Z4 would weigh much less if it wasnt for the roof. Thats why I want to see Z4 Coupe with fixed roof in the future. It would make the Z4 much better handler and more agile.
Appreciate 0