New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
2008e93M3lease
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

Z4 as daily driver in Michigan

Would it be crazy to get this car as your daily driver in a northern state like Michigan with 4 months of snow in the winter if you bought some winter tires? What about for a girl who's an avergae driver and doesn't know squat about cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 05:18 AM   #2
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

I'd imagine conditions in Finland are quite similar and I've been driving my Z4 (older model) happily two winters now. The electronic aids do a great job keeping the car under control, but of course you can still put your car in a ditch if you really try.

The only times I've felt a bit unsure were when it was snowing really heavily, because if you have to stop facing uphill there's not much grip available (then again I don't have studded winter tyres). And of course because it rides so low, deep snow can cause you problems sometimes.

All in all, I'm a much better driver in terms of car handling because of winter driving. You can slide the tail easily at safe speeds, and learn not to panic when that happens. I have the DTC switched off almost always, because that doubles the fun
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 06:37 AM   #3
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
I'd imagine conditions in Finland are quite similar and I've been driving my Z4 (older model) happily two winters now. The electronic aids do a great job keeping the car under control, but of course you can still put your car in a ditch if you really try.

The only times I've felt a bit unsure were when it was snowing really heavily, because if you have to stop facing uphill there's not much grip available (then again I don't have studded winter tyres). And of course because it rides so low, deep snow can cause you problems sometimes.

All in all, I'm a much better driver in terms of car handling because of winter driving. You can slide the tail easily at safe speeds, and learn not to panic when that happens. I have the DTC switched off almost always, because that doubles the fun
I would guess the car would do OK in snow with winter tires. Except of course in the deep stuff. I'm sure that area clears the roads quickly, unlike in Charlotte, 1 inch of snow can shut the city down for days.

For an average driver, I'd keep DSC full on.

One other consideration is the road condition. The Z4 with the M adaptive suspension rides OK, even with 19s, but frequent drives on rutted roads could get tiresome. I have had a few suspension crashes on deep pot holes. Risk to the wheels, especially the 19s is another consideration if too many potholes, but that's not just in the Z4.

In general though, the Z4 is fine as a daily driver, with the added benefit of dropping the top and enjoying drives to and from work.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
vividracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008e93M3lease View Post
Would it be crazy to get this car as your daily driver in a northern state like Michigan with 4 months of snow in the winter if you bought some winter tires? What about for a girl who's an avergae driver and doesn't know squat about cars?
Not at all. Like you said, with a good set of winter tires you're biggest concern is going to be clearance, not handling. So just don't go venturing down any unplowed roads

Just remember when driving on snow/ice, it's all about small inputs (throttle, brake, steering); regardless of what car you're in.
PM, Email, or Call Directly for aggressive BMW Member Pricing
Appreciate 0