New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
kakugo
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35is

Subwoofers not working

Hello,
I realized that in my new E89, with the Hi-Fi Professional option, there is no perceivable sound coming from the sub-woofers behind the seats, even with the bass setting set to maximum. Clearly this is not normal but I was wondering if somebody else had the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Did you check on your amplifier and if all cables were properly and tightly fixed?
Next you will need to look at the rear Sub-woofers and see if the cables are correctly placed.
Third you might want to check on your equalizer (if the bass 20/25 HZ are on level 0 or above)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
Nicktian
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M package

My x3 have the same problem. Don't know why
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

Check the fader/balance option maybe?
      04-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Putzo
Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 E89 Z4 35is

Garage List
I know this is an old post, but I wanted to throw in that I have the same problem. My 2012 35is has about 240 km on it and I noticed almost immediately that there is nothing coming out of either sub. All other speakers appear to be firing normally and, surprisingly, the bass isn't terrible, but it sure isn't great. This is with all conceivable bass settings set to max. No, I have not checked the amplifier/driver connections, I'll let the experts look at it.

I have an appointment to have it looked at on May 16, 2013. I'll report back on the results.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Adjust the fader to max rear and see if any sound comes out. If yes, then just adjust the fader as necessary. If not, get it fixed.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Putzo
Newb
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I played around a bit more last night and did set the fader all the way to the rear. I was still able to hear sound, but most of it was coming from the speakers under the seatbelts - not the subs.

I was actually able to get something to come out of the subs, finally, but I only really noticed it with the volume at a nearly ear-splitting level. I still only heard rather than felt the bass, as compared to my 335i (with subs under the seats), where you feel it as well. I tested them side-by-side with the same CD. I even tested against my spouse's Nissan Juke (factory Rockford Fosgate with a single 8" sub). The Z4 came up the big loser.

Does anyone know if the amp running the subs actually has any kind of adjustment on it? I guess for starters, where is the amp even located?

Off to search the rest of the forum!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
dr_mikee
Rep
Drives: e89 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzo View Post
I played around a bit more last night and did set the fader all the way to the rear. I was still able to hear sound, but most of it was coming from the speakers under the seatbelts - not the subs.

I was actually able to get something to come out of the subs, finally, but I only really noticed it with the volume at a nearly ear-splitting level. I still only heard rather than felt the bass, as compared to my 335i (with subs under the seats), where you feel it as well. I tested them side-by-side with the same CD. I even tested against my spouse's Nissan Juke (factory Rockford Fosgate with a single 8" sub). The Z4 came up the big loser.

Does anyone know if the amp running the subs actually has any kind of adjustment on it? I guess for starters, where is the amp even located?

I have the exact same situation as yourself, so I'm very curious to see what the outcome of all this will be.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I know of no adjustment, but the amp is located in the boot/trunk on the bulkhead behind the lining material. I believe its the box on the right as the box on the left is COMBOX. From what I recall, but I'm sure you'll find it.

Kinda glad I didn't get the supa-sound system now (not helpful I know, I'll go now lol...)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
Putzo
Newb
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
I know of no adjustment, but the amp is located in the boot/trunk on the bulkhead behind the lining material. I believe its the box on the right as the box on the left is COMBOX. From what I recall, but I'm sure you'll find it.

Kinda glad I didn't get the supa-sound system now (not helpful I know, I'll go now lol...)
Thanks for that, Maniac, I'll check to see if I can get at it without destroying anything. If not, I'll probably keep the appointment at the dealer and just play dumb. Then, at least, they can tell me why it's "operating within factory tolerances" and is still totally weak-sauce.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that, Maniac, I'll check to see if I can get at it without destroying anything. If not, I'll probably keep the appointment at the dealer and just play dumb. Then, at least, they can tell me why it's "operating within factory tolerances" and is still totally weak-sauce.
I hope you get it sorted out. I have the stock setup and I'm quite happy with it, I did add the tweeters though. The balance isn't quite right but I can't be bothered spending silly money for what will be a reasonable improvement, money lost when ultimately I sell the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
Putzo
Newb
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I hope you get it sorted out. I have the stock setup and I'm quite happy with it, I did add the tweeters though. The balance isn't quite right but I can't be bothered spending silly money for what will be a reasonable improvement, money lost when ultimately I sell the car.
Yep. If they tell me "it is what it is", I'll just learn to live with it...

... in epic style.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #13
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
I've the base system too. It's kind of terrible. In fact, I'm on a work trip right now and have a Ford C-MAX rental that has a better sound system

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0